Best Value on the used market?

simon wagstaff

Best Value on the used market?
« on: 17 Jun 2015, 12:52 pm »
Hello,

I hope this is not a too broad of a question but I have just recently gotten interested in Albert's speaker designs and legacy as a designer. He seems to make imaging and soundstage a priority in his designs, and that's what I look for in a speaker. There are so many models over the years that he has designed, and it seems a bit hard to find information on when they came out, what upgrades were make available etc.

I am sort of curious as to what might be some of his best value speakers available on the used market, keeping in mind that certainly this market fluctuates greatly over time and due to many factors.

Just as a point of reference I have a pair of Gallo Ref 3.5 that I am very happy with. Always interested in what might be out there should I get the itch.

Thanks!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Re: Best Value on the used market?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2015, 01:31 pm »
Well, it depends on your price range and how far you want to go back.  I remember being drawn to VSA the moment I heard the original VR4's.  A large floorstander, it ran circles around the more expensive Nestorovic and Avalon models I compared it to at the time.    The VR1 stand mounted skrs were a steal at under $1k.  I remember hearing that Stan Ricker master recording engineer had tucked a couple of VR1's under his arms at a first showing during CES, many years ago.  The VR3.5's were another model I was struck by... quick, lotsa sizzle, narrow baffle, wonderful image float and when paired with a sub, perfecto.  In my humble opinion, the VR4jrs were a milestone model for VSA.  Big sound, small footprint all the attributes of VSA,,, imaging, soundstage and dynamics and priced at just under $4k.  You can move up the food chain with the orig VR5's, dB99's, orig VR7, etc.  But the models I listed previously offer tremendous value and can be had for a bargain on the used market.

The technology has progressed leaps and bounds over the years... today's cabinet materials and construct, new driver and crossover parts, etc., have become current SOTA.  The Vortex Series VR 22 thru the 35's are a bargain and can be purchased direct.  The Uni Series are bullet proof! 

If I were a buyer today,,, I'd look forward, not back.....

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2015, 06:37 pm »
If I was to look back with the possibility of going forward I think the sweet spot would be if one could find a VR-4 SR Mk2. It should price in the 6k to 8k range and has sound quality that would satisfy from the get go. It's more refined than the Mk1 and more forgiving than the Mk3. Down the road one could go get a factory upgrade to the last iteration of the VR-5. Yet another great deal. If one had the cash on hand, jump straight to the Annie ;)

Escott1377

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2015, 07:06 pm »
Take a look at this listing.  Have the seller ship them to VSA.  Get the Gen IV upgrade.  You will have a completely rebuilt speaker in the company of $20k competition for less than $6 - 7k.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-von-schweikert-audio-vr-4-jr-2015-06-13-speakers-79938-el-paso-tx

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:10 pm »
Take a look at this listing.  Have the seller ship them to VSA.  Get the Gen IV upgrade.  You will have a completely rebuilt speaker in the company of $20k competition for less than $6 - 7k.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-von-schweikert-audio-vr-4-jr-2015-06-13-speakers-79938-el-paso-tx

This is a crazy great deal.  Especially if you send them up and have them upgraded to the mk4.  I just had mine upgraded and it is the best value I have seen for the money, ANYWHERE.

I am tempted to buy them myself and just have another pair.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2015, 09:53 pm »
its comparable to the little old lady that never drove the caddy except to go to the store and back... limited use and stored.  no doubt the Jr's are best deal in town, even if they aren't upgraded!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2015, 10:06 pm »
The orig poster may want to bring in a pair of VR22's or 35's to audition for a week or two.  VSA does offer a terrific "try before you buy" return policy. 

and speaking of Gallo, the last conversation I had with John Urlick (of Infinity/Spectron fame) yrs ago, was a brief discussion on Gallo Spkrs.  He was giddy about a specific model, back then.  I think Gallo was centered down the road from him in Chatsworth, Ca.  John was a genius and more, a terrific gentleman.  I sold a few Spectron amps for John and his wonderful wife Toni, back in the day.  John passed away last month, sadly.  John helped shape the hi-end audio industry and he will be missed.   Jack

Delacroix

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2015, 12:13 am »
Ouch ...not to derail the OP but that news about John Ulrick from Jack took me by surprise. Met him at RMAF a few years back, lovely man.  So sorry to hear this.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video

gammajo

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2015, 02:53 am »
In the lower price ranges I would agree with the VR1, VR4Jr (unmodded or modded) and VR4Sr MK2 as all excellent values