BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #140 on: 22 Jul 2012, 09:02 pm »
Hi Dave

Yes the Y cable would work just fine.

Yes the output from the BHA would be balanced even if the feed is single ended.

James

Thanks, James. And would output from the BHA be balanced if the output is single ended and the feed is balanced?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 22 Jul 2012, 09:05 pm »
Thanks, James. And would output from the BHA be balanced if the output is single ended and the feed is balanced?

Dave

Correct.

James

DaveNote

« Reply #142 on: 22 Jul 2012, 09:10 pm »

Marius

« Reply #143 on: 22 Jul 2012, 09:13 pm »
HI James,

problem still is I would like to listen to my record-player through the BHA1.... if I'd use my BDA1 's balanced outs I'd have to use those Y-cables, but I would have to be without all the analog sources. would there be no option to make modifications to the BP26, so that I could have a balanced signal to the BHA1 without volume control in the signal path? I suspect more owners of the bp26 would love that. Especially those that invested in the BP1.5 (like me...)

Marius

Yes the BP26 was really not part of the design concept when it came to a balanced source - should have thought of that  :duh:  The BDA-1 would be a good source component.

James

PS - we can make up a set of Balanced Y cables if that helps but you still have a second volume control in the signal path..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #144 on: 22 Jul 2012, 09:16 pm »
HI James,

problem still is I would like to listen to my record-player through the BHA1.... if I'd use my BDA1 's balanced outs I'd have to use those Y-cables, but I would have to be without all the analog sources. would there be no option to make modifications to the BP26, so that I could have a balanced signal to the BHA1 without volume control in the signal path? I suspect more owners of the bp26 would love that. Especially those that invested in the BP1.5 (like me...)

Marius

I will ask engineering but I doubt it as our balanced circuits are fully discrete class A and therefor would be a redesign.

James

tv78343

« Reply #145 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:41 am »
  The examples provided clearly indicate the benefits of "Pass-through" (No-gain/volume) designs in components where their inclusion offers improved flexibilty with regard to the integration of a high quality balanced headphone system, such as the BHA-1. In a situation such as mine, a high-quality digital source can be routed properly to both the BHA-1 and a balanced Integrated amp without the need for a performance-limiting "Y" connection compromising the performance of a top-grade balanced interconnect. I would much prefer the sonic integrity of a direct connection to the BHA-1, outputed balanced / without gain to my integrated amp as opposed to a split to both. I am confident that any BDA-1 owner with an associated top-shelf Integrated and interconnect would prefer this also.

larevoj

« Reply #146 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:47 am »
Since the BDA-1 is upgrading its USB resolution why not reducing 1 BNC and 1 RCA inputs and add another pair of balance out??

Marius

« Reply #147 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:06 am »
No please.... Already short of inputs on the Bda.... It would seem more adequate to update bp26 with balanced And unbalanced passtrough. That way all the other analog sources could be enjoyed over the bha1 and the tape/source could keep its designed function. As a tape monitor.

Or have the bha1 have a tape loop , but James repeatedly stated that was not in the works, when the bha1 was on the drawing table....

Marius

Since the BDA-1 is upgrading its USB resolution why not reducing 1 BNC and 1 RCA inputs and add another pair of balance out??

Todd R

« Reply #148 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:25 am »
I hope it's ok to post this here, but I need to let my BHA-1 go. Please see the ad in the trading post.  :cry:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:30 am »

I went back and tried the Grado PS-1000 with the BHA-1 amp. Phenomenal!

Really impressed with the synergy there.

Blackstone

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #150 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:33 am »

Bryston seems to have a hit with virtually all types of headphones.

Is this the new king of SS HP Amps?

longbowbbs

mkaiser

« Reply #151 on: 23 Jul 2012, 07:44 pm »
I hope it's ok to post this here, but I need to let my BHA-1 go. Please see the ad in the trading post.  /quote]

That was quick....

Todd R

« Reply #152 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:11 pm »
Well I didn't want to, but when your central air needs replaced in the middle of a heatwave, toys are no longer a priority.

Vipers

« Reply #153 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:45 pm »

I went back and tried the Grado PS-1000 with the BHA-1 amp. Phenomenal!

Really impressed with the synergy there.

Blackstone

Couldn't agree more, The PS1000's and the BHA-1 are definately a match made in heaven, well New York and Canada I guess, but pretty close :)

Vipers

« Reply #154 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:48 pm »
Well I didn't want to, but when your central air needs replaced in the middle of a heatwave, toys are no longer a priority.

Maybe you should consider moving over to the UK, we don't do heatwaves, that way the BHA-1 would be a keeper :wink:

I feel for you though, couldn't have been an easy decision.

I'm still waiting for mine to make it over the pond and already there is one on the classifieds, crazy :|

Todd R

« Reply #155 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:59 pm »
Maybe you should consider moving over to the UK, we don't do heatwaves, that way the BHA-1 would be a keeper :wink:

I feel for you though, couldn't have been an easy decision.

I'm still waiting for mine to make it over the pond and already there is one on the classifieds, crazy :|

Well I'm definitely moving further North as soon as I can!

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #156 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:03 pm »
From http://bryston.com/products/headphone_amps/BHA-1.html

"Features: 10k input impedance"

What's the advantage of such a low impedance?

Could there be any drawback, whatever?
... e.g.: Naim specifies 50k http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/165

Why not 47k ? ...isn't this value a Standard?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

:)

ashokm

« Reply #157 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:30 pm »
High impedance pots will be affected by cable capacitance earlier than low impedance ( 10K) pots. It's just physics ! So with long capacitive cable you could have audible HF roll off. In this situation a 10K pot could possibly get away without a problem.
On the other hand some preamps or sources might be happy with high impedance loads ( especially tube preamps.......not all of them !). Solid state preamps can easily handle low impedance loads within reason.

High impedance pots (high input impedance circuits) also are more easily prone to noise pickup. But I prefer high impedance inputs , I prefer the sound I hear. But then everyone has his or her own personal likes and dislikes.
There is no audible difference between 50K and 47 K. 47 K is one of the standard values for resistors caps etc, but 50 K pots are common and it doesn't matter if they are higher or lower like 45K or 55k !
Most often you see 50 K on tube circuits and 10 K on ss circuits.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #158 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:58 pm »
High impedance pots will be affected by cable capacitance earlier than low impedance ( 10K) pots. It's just physics ! So with long capacitive cable you could have audible HF roll off. In this situation a 10K pot could possibly get away without a problem. ....

..... Most often you see 50 K on tube circuits and 10 K on ss circuits.

Thanks !

8)

DaveNote

« Reply #159 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:17 pm »
James, I could not find a figure for the OUTPUT impedance of the BHA-1. Do you have that number?

Dave