Tidal DSD playback

schmidtmike76

Tidal DSD playback
« on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:45 am »
Pi into the BDA3 running roon from a old iMac in another room.  I found a dsd disc I enjoying tidal but it won’t play in that mode according to my dac only native format.   Any help or ideas, thanks
Mike

audio.bill

Re: Tidal DSD playback
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:05 am »
Tidal does not support DSD playback. Their highest service tier is HiFi which includes CD quality PCM (16/24) and higher rate PCM provided with available MQA files. DSD output is not supported, so if an SACD disc is shown in Tidal it could be a hybrid disc and they're streaming the CD layer.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:30 pm »
Tidal says they support it on one of their pages?  But otherwise good to know

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:14 pm »
With the right gear you can upsample to DSD, but like Bill said Tidal doesn’t send a DSD file out.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2019, 01:39 pm »
Thanks guys too good to be true!  I’m still impressed with the quality of Tidal though.  I’m confused tidal has a q&a section about playback and dsd is there.  Summed up if you have equipment that can convert it you can play it but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

mav52

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:07 pm »
Thanks guys too good to be true!  I’m still impressed with the quality of Tidal though.  I’m confused tidal has a q&a section about playback and dsd is there.  Summed up if you have equipment that can convert it you can play it but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

You have a link for that , thanks

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2019, 05:04 pm »
Hey Now,

I stream Tidal through Roon, use the Roon DSP to upsample to DSD256 and play through 3 of my DACS which can play DSD256. Sounds terrific.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

audio.bill

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2019, 07:18 pm »
Hey Now,

I stream Tidal through Roon, use the Roon DSP to upsample to DSD256 and play through 3 of my DACS which can play DSD256. Sounds terrific.

--
Finest kind,
Chris
Chris - That's fine and a good way for you to convert the PCM output from Tidal into DSD which you may prefer with your DACs. It doesn't change the fact that Tidal itself does not currently provide DSD output, only PCM.
All the best,
- Bill