Am I becoming an old geezer?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Am I becoming an old geezer?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2018, 11:09 am »
..... I don’t change often as I chose wisely in the first place. When I change, whatever I am changing to has to sound genuinely better than what I currently have.

That's my approach too.   :thumb:

gefski

« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2018, 03:26 pm »
Though I own hundreds of LPs, a few thousand CDs, and a bunch of rips and downloads, my Tidal subscription is invaluable. For artist after artist, the depth beyond what I own is significant, and with a dac that does Redbook right, it's sonically outstanding (varies hugely by title, of course).

So though I'm in Cootsville, "renting" is just as important for me as owning the physical media.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2018, 03:35 pm »
Though I own hundreds of LPs, a few thousand CDs, and a bunch of rips and downloads, my Tidal subscription is invaluable. For artist after artist, the depth beyond what I own is significant, and with a dac that does Redbook right, it's sonically outstanding (varies hugely by title, of course).

So though I'm in Cootsville, "renting" is just as important for me as owning the physical media.

Good points about new material. The one thing that might  get me to try streaming. Maybe after I am finished upgrading the physical system...

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2018, 03:50 pm »
"So every few years I try to clear out the dreck. "  What do you do with the "dreck?"  I was at a listening event in so. Calif. (Brucknerthon 2018), and I discovered that I could not give away surplus CDs.

Hey, I'd be happy to take them off your hands - I'll pay shipping! What do you have? PM me!

(I have a friend visiting in town so my responses won't necessarily be very quick.)

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2018, 05:04 pm »
I'm in my middle late 50's and I bought my first CD player in March of 1984.  I've bought CD's since then.  5 or 6 years ago, it might have been a little longer than that, my Marantz CD player kept having trouble reading discs.  Even brand new discs.  I had it replaced and the new one wasn't any better, even after a couple of trips to the repair shop.  So,  I built a dedicated PC that is now my music server.    It sends analog to my Parasound pre-amp that feeds my Bryston.   I use JRiver Media center and it has digital EQ capability before the signal is converted to analog.

As a professional orchestral musician (and an AFM member), I'm philosophically opposed to streaming and I own a physical CD or LP for everything that I play and have a couple thousand CDs.  I use YouTube to investigate new artists and if I like it,  I order a CD from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

I do use YouTube occasionally as a marketing tool.  I mainly send people links of what we'll be playing at upcoming concerts.

I don't imagine that I'll stream anything until it's impossible to purchase a CD. 

HsvHeelFan

terry parr

« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2018, 07:30 pm »
I don’t stream as I like to own physical media, for me streaming is only good for me to discovering new music then if I like it I’ll go out and buy it.
[/quote]

Me, too.  This is how I would use both Spotify and iTunes.   However, I've noticed that I can't use iTunes to "audition" music in this way anymore, without signing up with them.  As an avid music fan, and always on the lookout for new material (within my preferred genres) these streaming sites can be a great resource where their algorithm will suggest new artists within the same vein. 

Then, I'll hop on Amazon for used CDs. Or go to CDBaby to pick up a new CD if what I've just discovered isn't available anywhere else. (Or, if it's just come out).  CDBaby is a good resource for checking out new (but similar) artists that you might be interested in.     

The last really good used bookstore with the largest selection of used CDs in my immediate area (with the CDs taking up about half of their floor space) has just recently closed.     

I need to check out Tidal to see if their catalog is extensive enough that would make it worth it to go digging around in there.

Problem is, if you have people who are streaming their music through a phone with headphones attached,  then these aren't the people who you would consider "serious listeners" who sit.  And listen.  At home.  (And through a fairly nice and better-than-average resolving rig), but these are people listening "on-the-go."  And most of these people are interested in "what's hot" and "what's trending."

The streaming service that I would like would have to be fairly extensive and go much deeper than the latest popular stuff in order to get me interested. 

I've come across a couple of new musical artists that I've liked recently, but who only release their music via digital download.  Becki Biggins is a younger jazz singer that I liked, and came across a YouTube video of her.  Went searching, and found out that she didn't even have a physical CD for sale.  It was all digital download.

Am I becoming an old geezer?  Probably.     

Most of the music that I'm interested in is available on CD (newer acoustic singer-songwriter type stuff, acoustic trio jazz, string quartets) but as HsvHeelFan just alluded to, it's looking like the days of new music being released on CD format may be numbered. 

But, I'm 55 years old.  By the time this happens completely, it probably won't matter to me.  Thing is though, that even considering the care and the effort that I've taken to carefully compile a CD collection over the years (that is very important to me), once I'm gone all these CDs will probably hit the landfill!

"Some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing."  True.  My music collection is very valuable to me.  (But in absolute dollar amount?)   

If both myself and HsvHeelFan are lucky enough to be around years from now, we both might be streaming and downloading because there won't be any other alternative to reproducing just-released music in the home. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2018, 07:55 pm »
Am getting more downloads to play back on my BDP/BDA and floor speakers. To me, that's not "streaming". Still need a hard drive (medium) attached to BDP. Sounds terrific. Beats waiting weeks for CDs to arrive; saves tons of shelf space; downloads often sound better on my system, than CDs/vinyl.

Yup, if that makes me a geezer....

Stu Pitt

« Reply #27 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:41 am »
Am getting more downloads to play back on my BDP/BDA and floor speakers. To me, that's not "streaming". Still need a hard drive (medium) attached to BDP. Sounds terrific. Beats waiting weeks for CDs to arrive; saves tons of shelf space; downloads often sound better on my system, than CDs/vinyl.

Yup, if that makes me a geezer....

I’ve got about a dozen or so downloads too, studio albums and live concerts. I don’t consider that streaming either. Like you, they’re on my hard drive connected to my system directly.

I guess I’m not too much of a geezer yet. I haven’t told the kids to turn down that jungle music, stay off my lawn, and I haven’t said “grammar school” yet. But I’m getting older. I quote movie lines to some 20 somethings and get a blank stare, then realize that movie was made before they were born. And high school kids not being born yet when 9/11 happened? Wasn’t that just a few years ago?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2018, 02:03 am »
I quote movie lines to some 20 somethings and get a blank stare, then realize that movie was made before they were born. And high school kids not being born yet when 9/11 happened? Wasn’t that just a few years ago?

Crazy isn't it? Time flies. Soon all the WW2 vets will be gone. Notepads and pens are virtually gone in colleges (except in the Third World) -- replaced by tablets and internet-based presentations. Supposed to make life easier. Not always and not everywhere.

(Long day here...need to chill)

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2018, 03:41 am »
I'm not only an old geezer, I'm the ancient geezer.

Began by listening to 78rpm Victor Red Seal records on a wind-up Victrola, using cactus needles. After WWII, I began to build my own speaker cabinets, pre amps and amps, using the Audio Engineering Society publications.
I was a tube guy until KT-88s began to be made in Russia and elsewhere. Then switched to solid state.

I went through the usual eternal "upgrades" of speakers, preamps, power amps and playback of vinyl, tape and CDs, spending too much on trying to get the best possible sound from vinyl - - gave up, and switched to CDs.

Finally found Thiel speakers, and Jim Thiel steered me to the Bryston 4B amp in 2003. 
Got hooked on  Bryson, and I've never looked back. BP-6, 4BSST2, BDA-2, BCD-3.

I have an extensive collection of Redbook classical CDs, so I sprang for the BCD-3 earlier this year. Love it!

veloceleste

« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2018, 10:17 am »
I've been through the chase for a long time too, although not as long as you! I'll declare myself a Bryston guy too, any upgrades to my system will most likely stay Bryston. Great gear and a great company!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:01 pm »
  If one is a Bryston fan it only makes sense to own ALL Bryston. From source to speaker including cabling and line conditioning. Just makes sense. SYNERGY baby !

charles

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2018, 05:08 pm »
Bryston probably makes superb speakers; however, I have a pair of Thiel CS 2.7 speakers, together with a Thiel SmartSub 2.2 subwoofer.

Joe Frances

« Reply #33 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:42 am »
First of all, going back to the original post in this thread, I really, really, like the B 60; and feel much less impressed with the B 135.  The B60 is a very enjoyable integrated amp, but the larger newer version is a bit cold, more analytical and "anonymous".  At best the B135 is as good as most other decent amps of the same or similar wattage; but no better (as to sound).  The B60 is actually "special".  It has good features such as a balance knob; headphone jack; and a nice colorful sound, compared to the B135 which I think is not a deeply colorful or musical. It's not warm per se, but it is natural and relaxed. Even now, I sometimes think I should get one even though I have a 60 watt amp, which does not have the same features as the B60. For speakers of 87 db or higher sensitivity, I can't image a better amp for a simple system that the Bryston B60.  I hope it goes on and on and on, even though it no longer carries the imagination of the audio glitz-mob.  I am not a geezer, but I will admit to fogey.  Good gear lasts and it should be kept and used lovingly.

Whether I get the B60 or not, I am planning to get the BCD 3; and if I need a DAC (questionable right now) it will be probably be a Bryston.  And if I keep my beloved Copland amp, I might even buy a Bryston headphone amp. 

For streaming (especially Sirius XM and BBC Radio 3 from London) I have the little Audioengines box which works very well, although I am told it would be better going into a DAC.  Maybe someday.  Maybe I will buy the upgraded B60 with DAC. LOL!

Secretly I want a Bryston turntable, but that's another story. 

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #34 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:53 am »
Joe

I agree with you about the B60.  I've had one for years, and it's powering the #2 setup in my bedroom, driving a pair of older ADS monitor speakers.  My Grandson has been threatening to break in,in the midst of the night, and steal it.

George

Stu Pitt

« Reply #35 on: 23 Oct 2018, 10:34 am »
First of all, going back to the original post in this thread, I really, really, like the B 60; and feel much less impressed with the B 135.  The B60 is a very enjoyable integrated amp, but the larger newer version is a bit cold, more analytical and "anonymous".  At best the B135 is as good as most other decent amps of the same or similar wattage; but no better (as to sound).  The B60 is actually "special".  It has good features such as a balance knob; headphone jack; and a nice colorful sound, compared to the B135 which I think is not a deeply colorful or musical. It's not warm per se, but it is natural and relaxed. Even now, I sometimes think I should get one even though I have a 60 watt amp, which does not have the same features as the B60. For speakers of 87 db or higher sensitivity, I can't image a better amp for a simple system that the Bryston B60.  I hope it goes on and on and on, even though it no longer carries the imagination of the audio glitz-mob.  I am not a geezer, but I will admit to fogey.  Good gear lasts and it should be kept and used lovingly.

Whether I get the B60 or not, I am planning to get the BCD 3; and if I need a DAC (questionable right now) it will be probably be a Bryston.  And if I keep my beloved Copland amp, I might even buy a Bryston headphone amp. 

For streaming (especially Sirius XM and BBC Radio 3 from London) I have the little Audioengines box which works very well, although I am told it would be better going into a DAC.  Maybe someday.  Maybe I will buy the upgraded B60 with DAC. LOL!

Secretly I want a Bryston turntable, but that's another story.
I love my B60 and would never part with it. I’ve contemplated upgrading everything else in my system but the B60. Every upgrade I’ve made since I’ve owned it has been a very big upgrade sonically - speakers, source and cabling. That tells me the B60 is the strongest point in my system, as I can easily hear changes because the B60 is passing on such a clean signal. It’s a very unassuming and unpretentious little workhorse.

As far as getting one with an internal DAC, I wouldn’t do it. DAC technology moves so quickly that IMO you’re far better off keeping that as a separate component. There’s so many formats out there that have come and gone since it’s been available, except the CD standard 44.1/16.

My B60 has the internal phono stage in it, which is an MM. I run a Dynavector 10x5, which is a high output MC. They work quite well with each other, but I have thought about getting a new phono stage because the 10x5 could use a little more gain. I have to twist the volume knob a very little bit more than I’d like, which introduces a little hiss into the signal. I can’t hear it when the music’s playing at a normal level, but I get the feeling that the music would be a little bit cleaner if it wasn’t there at all. I haven’t played around with phono stages since I’ve owned the 10x5, so it’s quite possible that a new one would be a big upgrade, a downgrade, or not enough of a change at all. I don’t listen to enough vinyl anymore to really justify an expensive change. And I’m willing to bet it’ll be quite expensive (to my wallet anyway) to get a worthwhile change.

Long story short, if I won the Mega Millions the other night for a billion dollars or win the next one for almost 2 billion, the B60 would still easily have a place in my home. And it wouldn’t be for sentimental reasons like practically everything else I’d keep. I think that says everything that needs to be said.

Joe Frances

« Reply #36 on: 24 Oct 2018, 09:18 pm »
I don't know if what I do is called streaming or not, but I have the Audioengines B 1 Bluetooth "receiver".  I use it to play Sirius XM programs and BBC Radio 3 on my main system.  I love this funky little device.  It costs maybe $160 or so and works perfectly all the time.  I like BBC 3 for its very special classical programming; same for Sirius.   I assume this is a form of "streaming" but again,  am not a cognosciento in this area.  I am Rip van Winkle. 

I looked at Tidal and Spodify and a few other sites for classical programming.  (Qobus is still not available in the US.) I was wondering whether I could find my favorite old operas and special items I have on CD such as Wilhelm Furtwangler's epic Schumann 4 from 1951; or Andre Wasoski's definitive Chopin Mazurkas.  Nope and nope, no where to be found.  How about old Schnable recordings of Schubert piano sonatas?  Nope.  They have a lot of recordings, but not many historics. 

My point is these services can give you "recordings" by not necessarily the recording you want; unless you are lucky.  I see limited utility to these "streaming" services if one is a classical or even jazz aficionado who wants to hear very specific-historic recording.  Also its hit or miss whether  a special but not necessarily well-known artist of today is on the list; or simply something esoteric.  Am I right on this or am I wrong?  I am prepared to be wrong as I didn't look a lot just for maybe 10 minutes each. 

What I do understand is that maybe someday, I should buy a device (what would it be called, a media player?)  that can rip (I hate that term) my CDs and I can play them off a iPad or phone, then I can play my own library.  I will probably do that, bu for nowt I hate the idea of spending money to listen to the recording/s that the provider wants to make available, not the one/s I really want.  Also, those of you who know, do the play lists change and do they take stuff off if it doesn't get a specific number of hits? 

Thanks all.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #37 on: 25 Oct 2018, 05:59 pm »
Joe,
I've gotta' agree with you about the selection of music available via streaming. it's what they might have available, and not necessarily what you want to hear.

Examples:  (1) I wanted to hear the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor (a true classic) played by Helmut Walcha. I got E Power Biggs!;  (2) I wanted the Verdi Requiem by Reiner (superb soloists). I got the earlier Giulini; (3) I gave up tying to get Mahalia Jackson's recordings of anything spiritual.  If they don't have what you want, Tough!!

Like you, I'm resorting to my collection of classical CDs in lieu of the relative inconvenience of streaming and their insistence they know what's best for you. As all of my CDs are Redbook classicals, I got a BCD-3 spinner and haven't looked back.

George

Calypte

« Reply #38 on: 25 Oct 2018, 11:30 pm »
I looked at Tidal and Spodify and a few other sites for classical programming.  (Qobus is still not available in the US.)
Have you tried Idagio, now available in the U.S.?

Joe Frances

« Reply #39 on: 8 Nov 2018, 12:33 am »
Joe,
I've gotta' agree with you about the selection of music available via streaming. it's what they might have available, and not necessarily what you want to hear.

Examples:  (1) I wanted to hear the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor (a true classic) played by Helmut Walcha. I got E Power Biggs!;  (2) I wanted the Verdi Requiem by Reiner (superb soloists). I got the earlier Giulini; (3) I gave up tying to get Mahalia Jackson's recordings of anything spiritual.  If they don't have what you want, Tough!!

Like you, I'm resorting to my collection of classical CDs in lieu of the relative inconvenience of streaming and their insistence they know what's best for you. As all of my CDs are Redbook classicals, I got a BCD-3 spinner and haven't looked back.

You are I think a lot alike, George... Nice to meet you here.  Hope all is well.

George