How many brands of audio gear are there?

Rclark

How many brands of audio gear are there?
« on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:40 am »
There literally must be tens of thousands. I read audio forums almost daily, and for many, many years now, and I am always frequently surprised by the mention of some new obscure brand I've never heard of before and what's surprising is people will have heard of it! Or even own the gear!

Example: "I've got a pair of Sultanus Audio Firedragon III's powered by two Grandus monoblocks off a Sire Technologies DAC"

I made that up, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if people responded saying those random company names I invented there were actual audio companies out there somewhere. It seems just that oversaturated. It's crazy. How can there be soooooooo many audio companies?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: How many brands of audio gear are there?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:10 pm »
It's all part of the neurosis audiophiles suffer from. It is impossible to attain your goals, but you keep trying.  Perhaps you've heard of Sisyphus? Manufacturers know this. So they keep making new and "better" stuff. No matter how much you spend, no mater how many products you audition or compare, you ain't never going to recreate a live performance in you listening room. Some of course delude themselves or give up and become satisfied. Some, never learn.
I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion around here, but it's how I deal with my pathology. :lol:

Doc.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:45 pm »
There literally must be tens of thousands. I read audio forums almost daily, and for many, many years now, and I am always frequently surprised by the mention of some new obscure brand I've never heard of before and what's surprising is people will have heard of it! Or even own the gear!

Example: "I've got a pair of Sultanus Audio Firedragon III's powered by two Grandus monoblocks off a Sire Technologies DAC"

I made that up, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if people responded saying those random company names I invented there were actual audio companies out there somewhere. It seems just that oversaturated. It's crazy. How can there be soooooooo many audio companies?

There is so many audio brands because there are so many demographics within the audiophile community.

You have people who have tens of thousands to spend, and people who have a few hundred to spend. You have people who like transparent and detail, and you have people who like euphonic and sweet.

There is a lot of opportunity for these manufacturers to connect with like minded music lovers, and make a little bit of money while they are at it.

Choice is a great thing in this hobby since everyone has different tastes and budgets. The more people making good-great gear, the more there is a chance of someone finding exactly what they want.

Will you recreate a live concert in your room? You can get really really close, but it costs a really really lot of monies. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:05 pm »
As of 9:00 A.M. MDT today, the count stands at 426,821. They are all the best available.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2011, 04:00 pm »

...and highly musical.

D.D.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2011, 04:27 pm »
Looking at the list of exhibitors for the California Audio Show made me wonder how many audio equipment manufacturers there are in CA.  I could name 25 off the top of my head and I am sure I missed some.  I was only counting brands that I thought would be widely recognized. Although some of the companies don't actually manufacture in CA (many do) they have corporate offices here.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2011, 04:47 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 07:29 pm by Mike Nomad »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2011, 05:19 pm »
The internet spawned cottage and overseas industries plus emerging economies have resulted in an explosion of retailing.  Unfortunately (except for banks and contractors) the majority of small companies don't last long.  Most audio sales however are geared to PC/AV/MP3 use.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2011, 05:23 pm »
More then you can count on your fingers and toes.

decal

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2011, 05:38 pm »
Approx. 132,673 give or take a few dozen.   :rotflmao:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:43 pm »
If only 2 companies exist, life would be boring. lol

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2011, 01:56 am »
Some companies would have you believe there are only 2, theirs and whoever they compare themselves (and fixate competing) with. 

cujobob

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2011, 02:00 am »
It's very easy to start up a small audio company.  Speakers can even be one-man jobs... and electronics companies can often even be fairly small.  While there are the major companies out there...this is a hobby/passion for many..and unlike a car, it doesn't cost a fortune to build/tinker/design.

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm »
Good point.

I've bought from one man shops and from huge companies.  I prefer the smaller places as I'm dealing with "the man," they offer better prices, usually go for content value vs. cosmetics, and you just might be supporting the next real innovator.  After all 100 years ago the Wright brothers and Henry Ford were small shops too.   :thumb:

But sometimes you have no idea how big a company is.  With all the computer services that are available it really doesn't take more than one guy/gal who knows what they're doing and can stay with it for years and years to make for a great brand.  Obviously AC is full of small shops doing great work.   :thumb: :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2011, 01:24 pm »

There are Fifty Million Gazilion audio companies serving the 25,000 and diminishing audiofools out there. I am ashamed to show the extensive links to manufacturers I have. You want selection, you got it.

Rocket_Ronny

Steve

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:37 pm »
It is a shame that the number of high end audiophiles/extreme music lovers is diminishing.   :(

I think there are too many companies out there. So many are simply copycats with different cosmetics.

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:56 pm »
It is a shame that the number of high end audiophiles/extreme music lovers is diminishing.   :(

I dunno. It seems to me that the excesses of the high end audio industry might be largely responsible for that.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2011, 07:30 pm »
A friend of mine sent me an ad today for high end speakers, the cheapest was like $15,000.00 a pair up to -use your imagination. Now if your the dealer are you trying to sell ONE a month, 6 a year, I'd love to see total units sold by these folks for a couple years just to see the totals. Don't get me wrong if I had the cash I know exactly which ones I'd of bought so its all get it when you can but I wonder how many units these super high end dudes sell.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2011, 09:03 pm »
I dunno. It seems to me that the excesses of the high end audio industry might be largely responsible for that.

That, and the aging of the kids that still play in the sandbox.

And the lowered expectations of the public used to "quicker/lighter/cheaper/smaller" is better.  Those who think "Blose" is top quality stuff.

When I was a kid classical music was much more popular, even if it was just in Bugs Bunny cartoons.  Remember, those animators were often 1st or 2nd generation refugees that had left a continent where classical music was still "the thing", and the top classical composers of the day were still alive and kickin'.

Steve

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2011, 11:07 pm »

I am having divergent thoughts on the subject John. On the one hand it seems that some/many manufacturers have inflated their prices in order to retire early. People have also been led to believe that the more expensive, the mega buck components, are better (Marketing).

Imo, there is a minimum cost and maximum cost; above minimum which is necessary for superior sonics, and above which no improvement is obtained. Imo, the mininum and maximum limits will vary depending upon whether it is the source, amplification, or speakers.

Of course some of the public have also come to believe on their own that more expensive/mega buck components equate to better.

Then there are so many "companies" that simply "flood" the market with similar if not the same designs. This reduces the market numbers vs company ratio.

I am sure there are other reasons as well.

Cheers.