My X2's need a New Amp

aniwolfe

My X2's need a New Amp
« on: 2 May 2023, 03:17 pm »
Hello Audio Circle Members

I am currently looking for a clear, forward sounding NON TUBE based Power Amp or Integrated Amp. I have used Primaluna Evo 300 (tube rolled a lot),  Pass Labs XA-25 and LTA 40. The LTA was probably the most forward and detailed but I don't own it anymore. The Pass Labs was too laid back.

Any suggestions New or Used in the $2000-3500 range are welcomed? 

I have been researching YBA, Primare, Yamaha, Bel Canto ...if you have any thought on these Brands, let know. But overall looking for any suggestions.

jpm

Re: My X2's need a New Amp
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2023, 03:49 pm »
I'm not sure what forward sounding means but I've been comparing a Naim Uniti Nova and Hegel H390 with my X3s and of the two the Naim is my favorite. In your budget there are plenty of pre-owned Uniti Atoms available that you could try.

aniwolfe

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2023, 03:54 pm »
Thanks...Forward presentation...think closer to the music. Low level detail pushed closer to the listener.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2023, 04:28 pm »
One of the things I like most about the Nova is that the detail in bass notes beats out the Hegel, very controlled and very musical. The Hegel is a tiny bit more  laid back in the upper frequencies which comes across as better clarity in the Nova. Beyond the sound characteristics, the streaming and control functions are more evolved with the Nova and the industrial design is a thing of beauty.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2023, 04:34 pm »
This is a very well reviewed solid state amplifier in your price range made by one of our site sponsors. The reviewer is a professional recording engineer:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/07/09/audio-by-van-alstine-dva-m225-monoblock-amplifiers-review/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2023, 04:43 pm »
Slightly out of your price range, but this Esoteric is an exceptionally clear sounding amp:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisb4af0-esoteric-a-03-solid-state?refsource=hifishark

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2023, 07:25 pm »
  Look at the giant killer LSA Warp-1. $1100 delivered. I am NOT a Dealer for it. Read Steve Stones review.

charles

aniwolfe

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2023, 08:28 pm »
  Look at the giant killer LSA Warp-1. $1100 delivered. I am NOT a Dealer for it. Read Steve Stones review.

charles

Based on that review...very much what I am looking for. However, I think I might try the Van Alstine Set 120 first...I got a good deal on a brand new unit. If it doesn't wake up the Spatials, I will then try the LSA.

Anyone else with amp suggestions?

mvalentiner

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2023, 06:03 am »
I just pulled the trigger on Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra mono blocks. That’s outside your price range, but the stereo unit at $2650 is not: https://orchardaudio.com/product/starkrismon_stereo_ultra_500w_stereo_amp/

If your not in a hurry, you can request to join the amp tour: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/

Or just buy it and return with in 15 days, if it’s not what you’re looking for. There are many reviews in the that thread.

DaveWin88

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2023, 02:16 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra mono blocks. That’s outside your price range, but the stereo unit at $2650 is not: https://orchardaudio.com/product/starkrismon_stereo_ultra_500w_stereo_amp/

If your not in a hurry, you can request to join the amp tour: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/

Or just buy it and return with in 15 days, if it’s not what you’re looking for. There are many reviews in the that thread.
Tom Martin whom I trust (THE ABSOLUTE SOUND),  spoke positively of this amplifier. Might be a great choice.

aniwolfe

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2023, 02:18 pm »
I will have a Brand New AVA Set 120 Power Amp tomorrow to test out. We shall see if this fits the bill. Thanks for all your suggestions.

kettle7830

• 262-227-6443
« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2023, 02:27 am »
I am interested in your impressions of the AVA amp.  The Set 120 was on my shortlist a while back.  If your time with the AVA does not work out you may want to check into the Sugden A21 SE Sig.  It is 30 watts in Class A.  I alternate between a LTA Z40 and the Sugden on Spatial M4 Triode Masters.  I find the Sugden to be a much fuller and relaxed presentation, without loss detail of the LTA Z40.  And you don't have to worry about tubes.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2023, 05:08 pm »

Thank you for your support. How are you liking the monoblocks?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2023, 06:01 pm »
I will have a Brand New AVA Set 120 Power Amp tomorrow to test out. We shall see if this fits the bill. Thanks for all your suggestions.

If that does not work out, consider the AVA 225 monoblocks.  I reviewed them for AVA.  The sound great and are very dynamic. I found them forward sounding in 2 different systems.

The Primare I series integrateds sound great.  But they are probably out of your price range.  They Cary Audio SL 300.2d Integrated amp sounds great.  My son bought on an it is very dynamic and clear sounding.  You may be able to find one used as they list for almost $6K.

The Parasound A21 plus is also worth a look.  It is much better than the older A21.

aniwolfe

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2023, 01:54 am »
I am interested in your impressions of the AVA amp.  The Set 120 was on my shortlist a while back.  If your time with the AVA does not work out you may want to check into the Sugden A21 SE Sig.  It is 30 watts in Class A.  I alternate between a LTA Z40 and the Sugden on Spatial M4 Triode Masters.  I find the Sugden to be a much fuller and relaxed presentation, without loss detail of the LTA Z40.  And you don't have to worry about tubes.

To my surprise the AVA 120 amp has surpassed my expectations.  I enjoyed it much more than the Pass Labs XA25 I owned.  Sometimes less is more. The 120 is dynamic, smooth yet detailed and just fun to listen to. I would think it should cost over $3k to be honest. Something to be said about components well designed with less parts. Highly recommended.

morganc

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2023, 03:45 pm »
If that does not work out, consider the AVA 225 monoblocks.  I reviewed them for AVA.  The sound great and are very dynamic. I found them forward sounding in 2 different systems.

The Primare I series integrateds sound great.  But they are probably out of your price range.  They Cary Audio SL 300.2d Integrated amp sounds great.  My son bought on an it is very dynamic and clear sounding.  You may be able to find one used as they list for almost $6K.

The Parasound A21 plus is also worth a look.  It is much better than the older A21.

I’m loving the DVA 225s with my X3’s now. Comparing them to the Class D Atma Spheres. 

Tangram

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2023, 10:28 pm »
To my surprise the AVA 120 amp has surpassed my expectations.  I enjoyed it much more than the Pass Labs XA25 I owned.  Sometimes less is more. The 120 is dynamic, smooth yet detailed and just fun to listen to. I would think it should cost over $3k to be honest. Something to be said about components well designed with less parts. Highly recommended.

Wow, that’s a lot of goodness for the price. Don’t doubt that you like it more than the XA25 but I own an XA25 and an XA30.5 and I’m not sure I could ask for anything more. Driving M3 Sapphires. I love the idea of getting better sound for fewer dollars, so good on ya for your discovery.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2023, 02:46 pm »
I’m loving the DVA 225s with my X3’s now. Comparing them to the Class D Atma Spheres.
Keep us posted on your final synopsis between the two.

Thanks

doggie

« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2023, 02:39 am »
A little late to the game here...

I have a pair of X5's which are I believe about 97db efficient.

My current amp is about 20 high quality tube watts. I have been happy with it however this week I put an 80watt solid state amp in the system.

The speakers became much more dynamic with greater grip on the music. This has made me rethink my setup. I do not think that I could live with the particular 80 watt amp long-term as it is a bit bright but it did make me think that there must be an amp out there with the refinement of my 20 watt amp and the dynamics of the 80 watt amp. It might need to be a solid state amp.