Madrigal Proceed - One of the most natural sounding and non-fatiguing

Studio19atx

I recently pulled out my proceed AVP and HPA3 combo out of storage and hooked up B&W 802Ds to them. The sound is so engaging and zero listening fatigue. B&W 802D are known for being bright.

It made me wonder what goes behind voicing of the components be it preamp or amp that make them non-fatiguing. I have had different amps (krell, lexicon, coda etc) but no other preamp/amp seem to have the laid back yet firm presentation of sound and instruments as Proceed. The instrument placement, the vocals and the precise note of the drums just make music come to life. The combo sounds very similar to the Mark Levinson 326S and 532H combo I had couple of years ago. Its really unfortunate one cannot purchase cheaper option from Harman since Madrigal bought Proceed.

What have been some of the most natural and non-fatiguing preamp/amps you have used and with what speakers?

Phil A

Re: Madrigal Proceed - One of the best?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2018, 04:16 pm »
Owned the AVP and HPA (both 2 and 3 and BPAs for the rears) many moons ago.  I enjoyed them.  What really killed them is the PMDT (which I owned also at one point).  The PMDT was a wonderful CD transport (when I was into disc playback) when it worked and towards the end they seemed to be getting it to that point (I sold mine literally days before they announced the end).  There biggest mistake was probably not supporting the brand a bit longer.  There are posts all over AA about people turning to them for repairs and getting a list of a few independent repair shops that might be able to repair them.  That's why they don't have tons of value today ($450 asking for something the quality of the AVP is low - https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=proceed).  Very nice components though and the amps could drive anything.

Studio19atx

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:31 pm »
Owned the AVP and HPA (both 2 and 3 and BPAs for the rears) many moons ago.  I enjoyed them.  What really killed them is the PMDT (which I owned also at one point).  The PMDT was a wonderful CD transport (when I was into disc playback) when it worked and towards the end they seemed to be getting it to that point (I sold mine literally days before they announced the end).  There biggest mistake was probably not supporting the brand a bit longer.  There are posts all over AA about people turning to them for repairs and getting a list of a few independent repair shops that might be able to repair them.  That's why they don't have tons of value today ($450 asking for something the quality of the AVP is low - https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=proceed).  Very nice components though and the amps could drive anything.

The amps are heavy and lots of power. To me the most intriguing aspect is the voicing. They sound good with so many different speakers.

I do not have the PMDT, if one becomes available for cheap, i will buy to try it out. The reason I have been holding on to the preamp and amp is that price I will get if I sell does not justify selling them.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2018, 05:01 pm »
The amps are heavy and lots of power. To me the most intriguing aspect is the voicing. They sound good with so many different speakers.

I do not have the PMDT, if one becomes available for cheap, i will buy to try it out. The reason I have been holding on to the preamp and amp is that price I will get if I sell does not justify selling them.

I concur with holding on to them at this point.  I got rid of mine long ago.  If I had them laying around there is no way that selling them would get enough cash to get equivalent sound.  This is a good site to watch if one is looking for used stuff (you can filter it for US only as well):

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=proceed

timind

• permanent vacation
Years ago I had a BPA-3, little brother to the HPA-3. About half the power, but a wonderful sound. I sold it as I had no need for a 3 channel amp. Not long ago I picked up a BPA-2 and was once again impressed with the exceptionally clean and neutral sound. It was one of the best sounding amps I've used with my Revel M22s, especially the low frequencies. Oddly though, it was not a good match with KEF LS-50s.

My biggest complaint about the amp was it's size and weight. And it wasn't even close to the size and weight of the HPA amps.

Phil A

Years ago I had a BPA-3, little brother to the HPA-3. About half the power, but a wonderful sound. I sold it as I had no need for a 3 channel amp. Not long ago I picked up a BPA-2 and was once again impressed with the exceptionally clean and neutral sound. It was one of the best sounding amps I've used with my Revel M22s, especially the low frequencies. Oddly though, it was not a good match with KEF LS-50s.

My biggest complaint about the amp was it's size and weight. And it wasn't even close to the size and weight of the HPA amps.

The HPA came with a free hernia  :green:  When I sold it and shipped it, the weight was 120lbs. The handle helped lots

Phil A

If you think the HPA was heavy, try the Levinson 33Hs. I believe with the shipping crate, they were 220 lbs. each. I used to help my friend who worked at the high end shop do deliveries and set-ups. The store owner came over my house to install my projector screen and told me don’t worry about the charge for the installation as he didn’t want any part in the moving of the 33Hs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Usually audio manufacturers use diodes and resistors 10% precision, maybe Proceed used 5% to voicing, military equip usually use 1% but there is 0.5% precision.

timind

• permanent vacation
The HPA came with a free hernia  :green:  When I sold it and shipped it, the weight was 120lbs. The handle helped lots

Haha, I distinctly remember shipping my BPA-3 because I was amazed I was able to hoist the box up on to the UPS scale without help.

Studio19atx

I had to move it few times this past month and without the handles it’s really hard. All the weight is in the front due to the three toroidal transformers.

The size is relatively smaller compared to Plinius Titan I had. But it’s all mass!

Studio19atx

Usually audio manufacturers use diodes and resistors 10% precision, maybe Proceed used 5% to voicing, military equip usually use 1% but there is 0.5% precision.

Do tolerances play a role in voicing? Or is it that by choosing lower tolerances ensure that voicing remains consistent?

I.Greyhound Fan

I recently pulled out my proceed AVP and HPA3 combo out of storage and hooked up B&W 802Ds to them. The sound is so engaging and zero listening fatigue. B&W 802D are known for being bright.

It made me wonder what goes behind voicing of the components be it preamp or amp that make them non-fatiguing. I have had different amps (krell, lexicon, coda etc) but no other preamp/amp seem to have the laid back yet firm presentation of sound and instruments as Proceed. The instrument placement, the vocals and the precise note of the drums just make music come to life. The combo sounds very similar to the Mark Levinson 326S and 532H combo I had couple of years ago. Its really unfortunate one cannot purchase cheaper option from Harman since Madrigal bought Proceed.

What have been some of the most natural and non-fatiguing preamp/amps you have used and with what speakers?

My Pass X250 amp is non fatiguing as are pair of Pass XA-100.5's that I have heard.  The X250 is paired with my Magnepan 1.6's and the 100.5's with a pair of Revel Salon Ultima 2's.  AVA HiFi's new SET 400 was non fatiguing.

ctviggen

I loved my Proceed gear.  I think I threw it away, though.  At the time, I did not think it would have any value. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Do tolerances play a role in voicing? Or is it that by choosing lower tolerances ensure that voicing remains consistent?
Tolerances will change the sound but I have never see a such evaluation.

Studio19atx

My Pass X250 amp is non fatiguing as are pair of Pass XA-100.5's that I have heard.  The X250 is paired with my Magnepan 1.6's and the 100.5's with a pair of Revel Salon Ultima 2's.  AVA HiFi's new SET 400 was non fatiguing.

I have not heard to Pass X250. Thats one of the amp in my radar to try soon.

Studio19atx

Tolerances will change the sound but I have never see a such evaluation.

It will be an interesting study and also how they change sound. Not just in terms of measurements but also the characteristics of the sound.

Studio19atx

If you think the HPA was heavy, try the Levinson 33Hs. I believe with the shipping crate, they were 220 lbs. each. I used to help my friend who worked at the high end shop do deliveries and set-ups. The store owner came over my house to install my projector screen and told me don’t worry about the charge for the installation as he didn’t want any part in the moving of the 33Hs.

I have heard 33Hs and it was truly magical the way they handled Salon 2. Lots of finesse, control and delicacy.

Just one a side note, the Hypex NC1200 based amps have similar or may be even better performance compared to 33H.

I.Greyhound Fan

I have not heard to Pass X250. Thats one of the amp in my radar to try soon.

You will find that all Pass gear is non-fatiguing.  Pass amps are rounded around the edges although without lack of detail.  If they sound sharp or glaring it will be due to other gear in the system.