Is coaxial the next thing in speakers?

Doublej

Is coaxial the next thing in speakers?
« on: 11 Dec 2016, 07:57 pm »
I see a number of companies out/coming out with coaxial speakers now. Is this the latest thing in loudspeakers? Has technology improved them or is it just time for different set of trade-offs in a loudspeaker?

Phil A

Re: Is coaxial the next thing in speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2016, 09:34 pm »
It's been around a long time - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/34048-what-advantages-coaxial-speaker-design.html

I've owned several pairs over the years

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm »
With more interest in desktop listening and smaller setups driven by smaller spaces the primary value of coaxial drivers (increased coherency) is probably increasingly appreciated.  Another advantage is the built-in wave guide for the tweeter, so crossover can be lowered, dispersion can be better matched at the crossover frequency, and the woofer can be optimized to a lower frequency range.  Notice that I wrote "can be" because not all designs take advantage of of these features. 

And yes, it's been around for decades.  Tannoy is just one example of a company that has never given up on the concept.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2016, 06:44 am »
Used to be a Tannoy Dealer in the 70's; sold a few of the 15" CoAxials. Very efficient, big SPL ability, and yes, "coherent". A great "Turn It Up" Rock speaker that never came back for repair despite duty that most speaker manufacturers would consider abuse, the Tannoy's considered "Business As Usual".

We sold way more Klipsch LaScalas to that type of customer, and we were JBL Pro dealers (not the consumer range, which is a different line) for sound reinforcement customers, but Sound Quality (SQ) wise the Tannoys had an edge, although we also sold UREI, and their Time Aligned CoAx Studio Monitors were decent sounding units properly installed in a studio.

All of the above sounded better than the Altecs (604 CoAx) by a wide margin. In fact the Altecs were marginal in every respect; not as durable either. We ended up dropping that line after trying it for about 18 months, even though Altec had attractive margins in comparison to most brands, the Sound Quality just wasn't there (beautiful Oak cabinetry, but that was the best feature).

The market has changed, of course, since then, somewhat away from the high SPL ability to a SQ emphasis, but CoAxial is a very sound construction with genuine sonic benefits. In particular they can have advantages in Phase (or "time") alignment.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2016, 10:04 am »
I see a number of companies out/coming out with coaxial speakers now. Is this the latest thing in loudspeakers? Has technology improved them or is it just time for different set of trade-offs in a loudspeaker?
Coax for hifi music is a great idea though not new.
The best coax I know currently is the Morel INTEGRA 624 superb:
http://www.morelhifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Integra-624-final.pdf
However its not great to small tube amps: 90dB & 4 ohms.