CINDER BLOCK SPEAKERS!!!...

Crossoverless

• Restricted
Re: CINDER BLOCK SPEAKERS!!!...
« Reply #20 on: 7 Aug 2016, 10:18 pm »
Audioengine A2+ sell for $250/pair with amps and DAC, and are much smaller with no DIY required.  So the kit price would have to come down to interest me.

To me part of the appeal of the whole concept is to use the simply/rough blocks.

I'm sure some snap together connectors could be used to move the binding posts to the back.

BTW, cinder block is available as an "O" versus the typical "8" internal shape.

Stone (granite/marble) cabinets would be very heavy, subject to cracking/chipping/breaking, and extremely sonically reflective (would need to be lined with lots of damping material).  Some manufacturers have used synthetic stone (Norh, and Green Mountain to name two off the top of my head).

Some say they are a small risk of getting cancer being around granite countertops...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 8 Aug 2016, 01:01 am »
There's a risk of cancer in whatever you do, eat, or live near. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 8 Aug 2016, 01:11 am »
In the end, nobody gets out of this alive.
Scotty

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2016, 03:52 pm »
Have raw materials been "audiophile" approved?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #24 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:29 pm »
Have raw materials been "audiophile" approved?

Of course it has! That is a high density silica aggregate with random particle orientation for optimal dispersion of vibrational energy, and formed into a mathematically ideal dual chambered configuration to provide both high compressive strength and modulus as well as large area moment of inertia without adding unnecessary bulk. This speaker is further formed into a composite by compression between two boards composed of natural plant fibers hardened through biological processes, and secured in place with extruded metal alloy.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:33 pm »
Of course it has! That is a high density silica aggregate with random particle orientation for optimal dispersion of vibrational energy, and formed into a mathematically ideal dual chambered configuration to provide both high compressive strength and modulus as well as large area moment of inertia without adding unnecessary bulk. This speaker is further formed into a composite by compression between two boards composed of natural plant fibers hardened through biological processes, and secured in place with extruded metal alloy.

You really should be in marketing, if you aren't already!

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2016, 07:08 pm »
You really should be in marketing, if you aren't already!
I'm just an overeducated and sadly unemployed engineer...  :(