Are my speakers too good?

charmerci

Re: Are my speakers too good?
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jan 2016, 08:39 pm »
If you can tape over the 5V pin on your USB cable and get away with it on your DAC, I think doing so and using the Jitterbug will accomplish just about everything you can given your budget - as far as addressing the weaknesses of your source laptop goes.

I'll try that.

If you can solder, consider dampening the CMC on the SurgeX, it might remove the harsh sound.

Nope, can't. Don't have soldering equipment.

charmerci

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jan 2016, 08:47 pm »
If you can tape over the 5V pin on your USB cable and get away with it on your DAC, I think doing so and using the Jitterbug will accomplish just about everything you can given your budget - as far as addressing the weaknesses of your source laptop goes.

I tried taping it but the problem is that I have to use a MUSE USB DAC Sound Card/Optical Coaxial Decoder/USB to S/PDIF Converter to hook up to my coax DAC and it needs the USB power.

I received the Jitterbug - and well, it's OK. It didn't make huge changes. It seems to smooth out the overall sound somewhat but on some recordings, it makes the sound seem harsher - but that is most likely because of slightly more clarity. I noticed on one Janis Ian recording that the electric bass sounds a little bit more like someone plucking the strings.

I really now think the next step(s) is the IC's. Right now, it's the Straightwire/Schiit Pyst usb>Muse>Soundsilver> DAC>Kabeldirect>pre>Pyst>amp/speakers.

« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2018, 06:18 pm by charmerci »

charmerci

« Reply #62 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:23 pm »
Since I've linked this today and I see that other people have read this, I'm updating it.

The IC's that I am using now are Grover Huffman EX+>Jitterbug/USB Regen Uptone/MuseUSB to S/PDIF Converter>Morrow MA-1>DAC>GH EX+>preamp>GH EX+>amp/speakers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #63 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:35 pm »
How about an updated pic of your system and updated Listening impressions? It’s been whatt, 2+ years?

Best,
Anand.

charmerci

« Reply #64 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:49 pm »
How about an updated pic of your system and updated Listening impressions? It’s been whatt, 2+ years?

Best,
Anand.

:o  Right now, my stereo system office is an absolute mess! No pics for now!  :lol: 

hmm, I'll have to listen to it with an overall description in mind.