VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

spitfun

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #940 on: 14 Jun 2018, 12:35 am »
Guys,it's great you want to have a discussion about our speakers,but this is the "For Sale" thread. I subscribe to this to maybe find another pair I am interested in buying-NOT to hear about other guys systems and opinions,start another thread for that. !!
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2018, 02:53 pm by spitfun »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #941 on: 14 Jun 2018, 02:06 am »
message received! 

Stimpy

« Reply #942 on: 14 Jun 2018, 11:36 am »
It's all good.  Any VMPS news is worthwhile news to me.  So, while waiting for VMPS speakers to show up for sale, giving me something to post, it's nice to be distracted.  Though, I do agree with spitfun, these magnificent speakers deserve their own thread.  That would probably generate greater interest, in which they deserve.

Carry on.   :popcorn:

oldhvymec

« Reply #943 on: 15 Jun 2018, 11:35 am »
Well, I'm a new guy. I would love to hear all the goods on VMPS. I've owned many of the VMPS models, with exception the WRRM.  I have listened to the WRRMs a few times.  I live pretty close to the old VMPS site.  I stopped over several times through the years. I listen to a pair, powered by EL34 tube unit (about 150-200 watts per rail) I think they were VTL mono blocks. I can't recall what was running the bass sections.  He (Brian) had a hot rodded Preamp.  I offered to bring a decent Preamp over many times. LOL I'm a serious Mcintosh, and Pass fan.  That was one of the best sounding systems, WRRM with great tube mono blocks.  I listened to EVERY system at EVERY opportunity, I could.  He could make his stuff sound SOOOOOO good.  I was wondering how the Emotiva sounds?  I thought you were running Mcintosh gear with that setup when you got it. It takes my gear a bit to get to running temp, then I'm pretty pleased.
I still have a pair of the 808s and listen to them often. I use to build my own stuff, LOL and he would build some of the ugliest crossovers for me that worked so WELL.  He was a true lover of the ART, True and TOTAL sound reproduction.  His speakers are still the best for the money.  I have the 808s, Tower 2 SE, the RMxs currently, with one pair of super modded RM30s, and a second pair of  cabinets (new in the box). Just to keep the peace, I was thinkin' of selling my RMxs  Their a very impressive pair of Monoliths (not that their made of stone, (close) just HEAVY. Very Good condition.  Interested?  I can post a pic or two.

oldhvymec

« Reply #944 on: 16 Jun 2018, 08:30 am »
Guys,it's great you want to have a discussion about our speakers,but this is the "For Sale" thread. I subscribe to this to maybe find another pair I am interested in buying-NOT to hear about other guys systems and opinions,start another thread for that. !!

oldhvymec

« Reply #945 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:48 pm »
Hello,
I noted your post.  What are you looking for? There are MANY, VMPS products in this area. It was so close to the old shop.
Folks around here (Bay Area) were and still are big Infinity and VMPS fans. I still have a few (true) RS Infinity, RS2B ( Dipole, ribbon unit), Infinitesimals 1.0 (2 sets) and access to the Beloved QL1.  Still  "The VMPS product" was the BIGGEST bang for the buck, hands down, and now, even more so.  I know where a few pairs are, JUST SETTING.  The problem, most people I know, won't sell, because you can't replace a VMPS product, with anything close, for the money.  I've watched this site from the start.  Interesting to say the least.  I'll be on the look out and try to hunt up a few.  I'm semi-retired now.

Again, I may be interested in selling my RM/x, Elixir. There are less than 10 known pairs around, world wide, maybe 2 sets of three (trinaural systems, ay)? 17 pairs made, two set were broke up for Trinaural sets (4 total), that leaves 11 pairs, maybe.
I have 2 NOS 12" drivers for the Elixir still in the old box.
I love um, BUT, honestly, I listen to a freakish stack of VMPS (808s), Infinity, RS3a or b (?), with a Lattis Dipole, Ribbon Tower of BG Neo 8s (4 units per side, ect). My FrankenSpeaker design. LOL.  Maybe 30 watts tops

Pics of the Elix? I got um"  I just stood them up and hooked them to my Beloved C20 5 port, MC275, and my modded 565s, for bass duty. I'm a 3 speaker guy, so a third speaker is being modded for that system now, (RM30 cabs ONLY, EVERYTHING else in the cab is different).

Yes,  the Elixirs are all they are cracked up to be, and A LOT more, with the right gear. Cheap gear = cheap sound.  They have ALWAYS been ran on Two separate dedicated circuits, per side and shared power for the center rails, all via GOOD power conditioners.
They have NEVER been over driven, and sound like VMPS Elixirs, with ALL the goodies and more. Hand signed by Mr. C., himself.
I also have an almost new LCR with all the goodies TRT, silver, hand signed. This one sat in a moving blanket, NEVER used, the TRT teflon caps still haven't broke in yet.  I have a pair of DiPole VMPS cabinets, perfect condition, piano black, no drivers.

The speakers I justs spoke of would make a wonderful speaker system, WHY? The Elixir lacks in one area only, as most speaker systems, mid bass drivers located WAY too close to the floor, if at all (RM40s, a better design, just not the Elixir look).  It can (the RMx) sound BETTER than the RM40s but it takes a trained and patient ear.  I have always been a Tube Guy, but not a snob, I run both AB and SET units from 12-400 watts per rail.  The Elixir will show you why.  I run the bass systems on SS Nelson Pass AB designed amps, 2 ohm stable (the reason for the dedicated circuits).  I have ran these on 300bs (12 watters) for a while (Island music paradise) I went back to an AB design, and they work best with 75 - 300 watts per rail, for mids and highs.  200-400 watts for the bass, (what can I say I'm a horsepower junkie (LOL)). The LCR mounted above 4 feet with 8 foot lids, adds a wonderful tonality to the Elixir, analog, digital or otherwise.  Without, their still better than anything $40,000.00 or more, commercial and non VMPS systems.

Handcrafted, personal built speaker systems, A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD of sound, design, and IMHO the best, from $200.00, great sounding systems to, OK, sounding, MILLION DOLLAR PILES. It's ALL good, as long as it's SOUND not NOISE, ay.

Regards

Stimpy

« Reply #946 on: 16 Jun 2018, 09:03 pm »

RM-X speakers...!!!  Custom RM-30's...!!!  More info please!    :D

oldhvymec

« Reply #947 on: 17 Jun 2018, 01:17 am »
 :D
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:28 am by oldhvymec »

oldhvymec

« Reply #948 on: 17 Jun 2018, 11:39 pm »
 :lol:
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:28 am by oldhvymec »

thepianoman04

« Reply #949 on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:03 pm »
Ok I have one, I can get a Piano Black Cab (NOS) and swap to match your Stuff, or leave it, as is.
LCR. I thought this one was a BCSE, maybe not. This sat in a packing blanket from BIRTH.
It was purchased and played for 1 hour and it QUIT. VMPS factory was called and told him to bring it in.
Local guy, dropped it off while I was there, Brian swaps it for an RM30 and a few quid. 
I ask him what's the deal?  "No Idea, They are very reliable"
He hooked it up and IT WORKED PERFECT????? Well it played for a few more and quit???
Looked, the wire had fallen off the speaker terminal (BAD DESIGN), I discovered it was a common problem.
Then I LOOKED (Being the collector of STUFF that I am), the guy had scratched the cabinet. WELL!
I offered, and Brian accepted my offer. That was the Summer of 2009, I just, NOW, hooked it up,
same time I tipped the RM/xs up 3 months ago (or so).
9 years later, LOL, I slowed down enough, to hook it up, and try to break it in.
Still not broke it yet (TRT caps) TOUGH to break in.

They need to be pushed a little bit, the MUD is clearing slowly, Nice production center for sure.
I run it on a little Mcintosh MC225 in mono and a SUPPER hot rodded C20 5 port Pre.
Stunning reproduction, MUCH better at 4 foot and above with 8 foot lids. They add a needed
mid-bass lower mids most systems lack MHO.  The system you have, it's a good addition.
Just don't blow it up. Emovita LOTS of power for sure.  I've tinkered with um. 
Pretty good power supply design, and speaker protection. 
I had to almost build a fire under them to warm up and sound OK. LOL
You'll WARM those up, on a single 15 amper for sure. It's a supply issue, simple. I implore
you add a second 15 amper with a GOOD cleaner. (20s even better)
You'll be astonished at the difference at LOWER volumes, Highs its a given.

What are you running for a Pre, I thought you were running Mac Gear WHAT HAPPENED?
For SS their gear is ROCK solid, just not Pass Lab quality
Beautiful speaker set up, I'd bet the XO need a little look see and recap, though.
No TRT stuff back then, but good pots etc.
Remember when they were made, 350 watt per rail @ 8 ohm were BIG, HUGE, amps.
3500 watts!!! Lyons, Tigers and BEARS.

I bet you would be astonished with a little amp swapping too. The sound would EXPAND to the point
of, WOW, with reworked XOs to OH MY, "Is that the same speaker system".
I've gone through a few of the Infinity QLS, IRS, and RS series XO, NIGHT and DAY using MUCH better stuff,
Like Brian Newer stuff, and with even better caps. His Teflon XO (TRT) were LONG LASTING.
I had to go through a couple of the Tower II se XO, Very simple BUT once again NIGHT and DAY.
Still have that pair, My personal favorite of all the speakers he EVER made. Crazy ay.

That system you have, I'd be tinkerin' for a while. LOL Maybe VTL Deluxe 300s with 6550 (RCA), or
Solvex VT 90s for the mids (50-300 tube watts) and Emotiva for BASS, unless you can build a fire
under them. A definite upgrade on the caps and resistors, would help from factory Emotiva STUFF.

I'd love to hear that set up and see how you tuned the PRs?  I guess that model has
Passive Radiators too, ay? about 5-6 grams mortit and get to pinchin' Man oh man!

Enjoy being one of the FEW, ay

It's kinda tight in my test area, I have pics of the back also, let me know

Regards

PM sent.

PeteG

« Reply #950 on: 19 Jun 2018, 12:03 am »
Can't tell you how much I enjoy my VMPS center.

thepianoman04

« Reply #951 on: 19 Jun 2018, 06:05 pm »
Ok I have one, I can get a Piano Black Cab (NOS) and swap to match your Stuff, or leave it, as is.
LCR. I thought this one was a BCSE, maybe not. This sat in a packing blanket from BIRTH.
It was purchased and played for 1 hour and it QUIT. VMPS factory was called and told him to bring it in.
Local guy, dropped it off while I was there, Brian swaps it for an RM30 and a few quid. 
I ask him what's the deal?  "No Idea, They are very reliable"
He hooked it up and IT WORKED PERFECT????? Well it played for a few more and quit???
Looked, the wire had fallen off the speaker terminal (BAD DESIGN), I discovered it was a common problem.
Then I LOOKED (Being the collector of STUFF that I am), the guy had scratched the cabinet. WELL!
I offered, and Brian accepted my offer. That was the Summer of 2009, I just, NOW, hooked it up,
same time I tipped the RM/xs up 3 months ago (or so).
9 years later, LOL, I slowed down enough, to hook it up, and try to break it in.
Still not broke it yet (TRT caps) TOUGH to break in.

They need to be pushed a little bit, the MUD is clearing slowly, Nice production center for sure.
I run it on a little Mcintosh MC225 in mono and a SUPPER hot rodded C20 5 port Pre.
Stunning reproduction, MUCH better at 4 foot and above with 8 foot lids. They add a needed
mid-bass lower mids most systems lack MHO.  The system you have, it's a good addition.
Just don't blow it up. Emovita LOTS of power for sure.  I've tinkered with um. 
Pretty good power supply design, and speaker protection. 
I had to almost build a fire under them to warm up and sound OK. LOL
You'll WARM those up, on a single 15 amper for sure. It's a supply issue, simple. I implore
you add a second 15 amper with a GOOD cleaner. (20s even better)
You'll be astonished at the difference at LOWER volumes, Highs its a given.

What are you running for a Pre, I thought you were running Mac Gear WHAT HAPPENED?
For SS their gear is ROCK solid, just not Pass Lab quality
Beautiful speaker set up, I'd bet the XO need a little look see and recap, though.
No TRT stuff back then, but good pots etc.
Remember when they were made, 350 watt per rail @ 8 ohm were BIG, HUGE, amps.
3500 watts!!! Lyons, Tigers and BEARS.

I bet you would be astonished with a little amp swapping too. The sound would EXPAND to the point
of, WOW, with reworked XOs to OH MY, "Is that the same speaker system".
I've gone through a few of the Infinity QLS, IRS, and RS series XO, NIGHT and DAY using MUCH better stuff,
Like Brian Newer stuff, and with even better caps. His Teflon XO (TRT) were LONG LASTING.
I had to go through a couple of the Tower II se XO, Very simple BUT once again NIGHT and DAY.
Still have that pair, My personal favorite of all the speakers he EVER made. Crazy ay.

That system you have, I'd be tinkerin' for a while. LOL Maybe VTL Deluxe 300s with 6550 (RCA), or
Solvex VT 90s for the mids (50-300 tube watts) and Emotiva for BASS, unless you can build a fire
under them. A definite upgrade on the caps and resistors, would help from factory Emotiva STUFF.

I'd love to hear that set up and see how you tuned the PRs?  I guess that model has
Passive Radiators too, ay? about 5-6 grams mortit and get to pinchin' Man oh man!

Enjoy being one of the FEW, ay

It's kinda tight in my test area, I have pics of the back also, let me know

Regards

If you’ve got pics of the back of that LCR, I’d appreciate it! You can email me at jarrettlmccullough@gmail.com

Also, just clarifying that this LCR you have does work and won’t quit after an hour of use right? lol Just making sure.

What would it take $ for me to bring it home? Got another guy with one in the oak cabinet but I do prefer the cabinet you have it in those pics. Love the dark cherry wood look.

On a separate note, if you’re ever in the Nashville, TN area, let me know. Would love to have you come take a look at and hear my setup as well as get your thoughts.

My dad didn’t really “train” me up if you will to be a full audiophile so I’m just breaching the surface to all this but I know enough to be dangerous. haha

Honestly, I’m a little scared to really tinker with anything with it being my dad’s gear and it also being so rare and valuable to me since he passed 2 years ago. Not long after Brian Cheney.

I did recently add a 20 amp outlet btw and is plugged into a Furman Elite 20pfi Power conditioner. So I don’t have dedicated 20 amp outlets for each XPR-1 but felt 1 20 amp outlet was better than none. Seems to do fine on the single 15 amp too.

Anyway, let me know about the LCR. I’m definitely interested if it’s in good shape. Just looking to round out my front stage to be all VMPS. Mains, Subs and Center channel all VMPS would be nice! I may even contemplate putting my mac on the LCR since I moved the macs to the surrounds and feel they’re being wasted.

Also, about the macs, I did have the mains biamped with all McIntosh power at 500 watts a channel but still wasn’t enough power. Loved the sound but couldn’t risk the lack of power and power guard kicking in all the time.

I have a MC300 and MC202 but my 202 got damaged in the recent move back in Feb 2018 and am on the backorder list but they said it’s be 8-12 months to get the glass repaired on the front that got busted. Once I got the XPRs I moved the macs to the surrounds and have the rear surrounds on Crown XLS1502 amps.

oldhvymec

« Reply #952 on: 20 Jun 2018, 09:00 pm »

How's that.
I posted a response to your message.  If you don't get it let me
know.  I don't think it was public.
I just wanted you to get the information.  Tried and true ways to
improve your VMPS system. From the WALL PLUGS, to the, glass
breaking result, (if that is your volume level). VMPS had a rep for
VERY LOW distortion levels, BASS was known for Crystal Clarity.

Almost every complaint I've ever heard about VMPS was a TUNING
issue, placement, or coupled BASS (BOOOOOOOM).

Regards

Stimpy

« Reply #953 on: 23 Jun 2018, 03:46 pm »
RELIST & PRICE DROP - $1500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Home-Stereo-System/283014345948?hash=item41e4f834dc:g:DwUAAOSwnCFaDi2X

Vintage High End Stereo System  -  (Breinigsville, PA)  $2100

https://allentown.craigslist.org/for/d/vintage-high-end-stereo-system/6597478770.html

"Vintage High End Stereo
VMPS Super Tower 2 A/R Speakers
Onkyo T9060 Fm Stereo Tuner
Onkyo P3060 Stereo Preamplifier
Yamaha CDC835 Disc Player
Fostex Model 3030 Equalizer
Crown DC300A Poweramplifier
Hafler DH500 Amplifier
Cerwin Vega DB10 Bass Turbocharger
Dbx Model 3Bx Dynamic Range Enhancer
Stereo Cabinet as Pictured Included
Tv Not Included or Items on top of Stereo Cabinet
Excellent Condition
Great Sounding System
Call Jeff"

Stimpy

« Reply #954 on: 23 Jun 2018, 11:11 pm »
VMPS Tower ii special edition - NEW OLD STOCK -  (Toronto, ON, CA)  $1500 CAD

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649444837-vmps-ii-special-edition-new-old-stock/

"Selling this for a friend who is a retired TECHNICIAN and I was very surprised that everything is
1. BRAND NEW never opened.
2. That he had these
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not many people know about this speaker, but do some reading on them
because these speakers are not normal speakers, they are the best
if they were sold today, they would be in the $20k region,
Don't they look very similar to the higher end legacy audio speakers? Interesting....

How many times have you seen companies sell expensive speakers because of the "technology" it went into it but the actual components were dirt cheap.
Well, not for this company, The woofers are carbon fiber, the tweeters are premium ribbon focal tweeters that used to be in the highest-end
Focal speakers (you can't even get these anymore)

It is high efficiency and goes down to 20hz, it is everything you want in a speaker,
In fact, if you read the reviews online, many people say this was their final speaker ever bought

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This comes in a kit, with all the drivers and the cabinet, you have to assemble it. It comes with a manual as well. A technician or speaker shop can probably do this for you
at very reason price, I would be able to recommend you to a very good one since I am in the industry.

Now, everything should be working but due to the request of my friend and because my hands are tide up right now, we will sell it as is for now, and hence this reflects the price,

But I might build them myself, once my hands are free and that will increased the price quite drastically or I might even be tempted to keep it, so grab em while you can
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read my feedback and buy with confidence, I will help you in any way I can if needed, this is reflected in my feedbacks

CHECK OUT MY OTHER ADS FOR MORE INTERESTING STUFF YOU CAN'T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE !

EMT & CASH ONLY
Shipping at buyer's expense (will be very expensive)"

Stimpy

« Reply #955 on: 23 Jun 2018, 11:42 pm »
Speakers VMPS Super Tower 11a/r  -  (Spring Hill, FL)  $1500

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ele/d/speakers-vmps-super-tower-11a/6624206127.html

"All original 6 feet 4 inch Speaker set.
All drivers working and in excellent condition.
Bi ampable and handles 500 watts rms
Cabinets in excellent condition"

dlynch34

« Reply #956 on: 25 Jun 2018, 11:50 am »
im near here I am not familiar with VMPS... I currently have some x-statix speakers I build from a kit that originally were sold by av123.  HOw do these big boys do on the upper end?  I know they have all the base ...

avguytx

« Reply #957 on: 29 Jun 2018, 07:13 pm »
Saw this listing in South Carolina.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ele/d/vmps-super-tower-se/6627323959.html

For sale is a fantastic pair of VMPS Super Tower R Special Edition floor standing loudspeakers in very good condition. Each has a 15 and 10 inch woofer, two 5" dynaribbon-planar midrange, two 1" dome tweeters, and one 2" ribbon super tweeter. Power handling is 350w. 4 ohm impedance.
Not for the faint of heart!
These are big...52"x 19" x 19" and weigh 100lbs each.
Awesome bass, balanced midrange and crisp highs! A pleasure to listen too! Perfect for vinyl lovers!
Original price was $3,400.

oldhvymec

« Reply #958 on: 30 Jun 2018, 06:13 am »

Also, about the macs, I did have the mains biamped with all McIntosh power at 500 watts a channel but still wasn’t enough power. Loved the sound but couldn’t risk the lack of power and power guard kicking in all the time.

You gotta give me a call on the LCR, anyways. I have a guy interested in the Elixirs

You see the Tower II SEs in the box?  Price?

The VMPS Tower II SEs one of my favorite speakers of all time.  I like them with NO carbon fiber, I like the supper fast graphite speakers, I've had them both ways. Graphite is better, just 10-15 db less on the top.  Both will tick the neighbors off.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #959 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:34 pm »
Re. the ST/R SE a few posts above this post...those mids are Versa Tronics WCF, not the Dynaribbons as listed.  The former outperform the latter by huge margin IMO, the latter having an irritating presentation throughout the range (Brian bought out Just Speakers' stock shortly before they went under).   

From the images, and if the rest of the description is correct, I'd buy those ST/R SE in a heartbeat, IMO the all time very best VMPS value (avoid the latter Dynaribbon models like the plague, and avoid all metal dome VMPS like the double plague...some VMPS a little later than the ST/E SE pictured had both dreaded drivers). 

ST/R SE is about 40% shorter than the ST III (same era), making the former far more acceptable in a living space.  ST/R SE is still otherwise large compared to modern audiophile fare.  Joachim Gerhard (Audio Physic Virgo original) and Ken Kantor (NHT 2.5i) started the super slim floor stander craze in the early 80s, IMO purely for cosmetic reasons.  Many of the world's best speakers have wide frontal area.

Again, if the description is accurate (other than the wrong mid range description), that's the most plug'n play speaker performance you'll ever get for <$1k/pr.  Bring a large SUV or truck to move them.  A carpenter could easily make crates for shipping (contact me for foam advice for packing). 

If I wasn't well beyond that performance level, I'd ship those here.  Unless you spend about $4k or more, the world's best value amp to drive VMPS (including that model) is Hypex NCore NC400 (post early-mid 2017 vintage) or any NC500 based amp.  Nothing extant provides similar combination of voltage, current, and low cost.  The first 2 items are mandatory for VMPS.

The biamp xo pole is super high on that VMPS type model, in the range of 350 Hz (well above middle C on the piano...Google a 350 Hz test tone).  Never biamp such VMPS model, unless the amps are identical, not "similar."  IOW, such speaker forbids the classic SS bass/tube high range scenario.  The amps must be identical or forget it.  Two different transfer functions at that high a pole is absolute guaranteed fail.  Even a slight difference between the amps is fail.   

IMO, any NC500 or a new NC400 would outperform even Brian use of 2 Son of Ampzilla stereo amps powering VMPS (Brian used one channel of each amp).  And you'd likely never run out of power with such amp.  The best overall option is likely NC400BTLM/bridged tied load mono, 1200/800/400W @ 8/4/2 Ohm, 1 Ohm minimum.

My setup philosophy is much changed since that model.  Brian recommended the mid/line array on the inside always, except for the most narrow L/R spacing.  Today, I'd absolutely audition extreme toe in for reasons I won't explain here, trying the mid/treble array inside and outside for any L/R spacing.