Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suite Recommendations Por Favor

NHSkier

Re: Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suite Recommendations Por Favor
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2020, 10:43 am »
+1 for Wispelwey

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2020, 09:37 pm »
I found a Wispelwey release but the artwork is completely different...which may or may not mean anything given all the reissues out there... I'm listening to Starker right now but don't know for where it fits in in his five recordings of the Suites. It's marked 1997 Sony Classical Masters. It's good. So far my favorite, for reasons I can't explain, is Vogler.

Getting the sound recorded right is challenging for this (or any solo instrument I suppose). I heard one recording that was mic'd so close that I'm surprised the celiist was able to avoid hitting the mic with his bow. Took that one off quick. Too far away and it sounds like you're in the 'cheap seats'.

Is there a classical release database anyone recommends for questions such as these? Starker did five, Ma 3 (he says the 3rd one is finis for him), and possibly at least 2 for Wispelwey. It's an enjoyable learning process in any event.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2020, 10:39 pm by dB Cooper »

Mike-48

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2020, 11:33 pm »
I have 15 versions but no favorite.

Wispelwey is a student of Bylsma, so the approaches have some similarity. I love them both.

Starker of course is a standard. I like the RCA version better than the Mercury, but I couldn't tell you why.

The Rosen version on John Marks records is thoroughly enjoyable and was recorded by an audiophile (John Marks).

I strongly second the recommendation for the Thedeen recording on BIS. It really is wonderful, with enough unique touches to make it a worthy addition to even a large collection. Also, the sound is outstanding (not unusual for BIS).

usery

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2020, 12:18 am »
... I'm listening to Starker right now but don't know for where it fits in in his five recordings of the Suites. It's marked 1997 Sony Classical Masters. It's good. ...
Is there a classical release database anyone recommends for questions such as these?

I don't know of a classical music database for that, but I did find these out on the interwebz:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/bach-solo-cello-suites-0  <= review of Starker's RCA Red Seal version and brief history of his recordings of the Suites.  I think the Sony Classical masters version is a relabel of the RCA.

https://www.warnerclassics.com/node/4193  <= the epic '57-'59 mono recordings produced by Walter Legge, including Starker's first recording of the Suites.  Some think this version is his most incandescent performance of them (haven't heard it yet, my set arrives next week).

usery

« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2020, 12:35 am »
I received the '59 mono set of Starker's first 'major' recorded performance of the cello suites, and have listened to it once through.  At least for me, for what I'm hearing, compared to all other versions I've listened to (Starker's later recordings, Rostropovich, Kirschbaum, Fournier, Bylsma), all the old hyperbole is right: this is _the_ version against which all others should be compared.  Even with it in mono.

Interested to hear what other listeners think - after you've listened to it, of course  : ).

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2020, 03:03 am »
In case anyone is interested, Yo-Yo Ma is performing the Suites live this afternoon (assuming you're seeing this on Sunday) at 3pm ET. Should be accessible from WGBH's Youtube channel. Audio only on WETA-FM.

Info:
https://weta.org/fm/yo-yo-ma-live

Interesting that his name didn't come up.

The one I want to hear do them is Sheku Kenneh-Mason, a phenomenal young player.

Mike-48

« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2020, 06:53 am »
@dB Cooper - thanks for posting that! Planning to watch tomorrow via YouTube.