new to me CAMs

guf

new to me CAMs
« on: 1 Jun 2020, 03:21 am »
I've think I've had most of the modern Omegas. SAMs, HO3s, 3Is, 3s, HO SAMs,  I always wanted CAMs because I like the shape and Alnico. I picked these up locally. I love them. They fit nicely on my desktop. I spend most of my time listening to my main system but these make me excited to sit at my desk and listen nearfield with a 45tube. :)

thetakeout

Re: new to me CAMs
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2020, 01:15 am »
What speakers/amp combo is in your main system.

guf

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:19 am »
What speakers/amp combo is in your main system.

just updated my profile to current status. check it!
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2020, 08:41 pm by guf »

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2020, 03:39 am »
The wide baffle should work well in nearfield like that.  Nice setup, my office looks quite similar except I have Super 3 HOs and the monitor is a bit larger.  Same 45 tube in my amp!

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2020, 08:29 pm »
Looks good Guf.  We have a lot of overlap in our systems/philosophies.

I don’t currently own an Alnico Omega, but my Super 3 wide baffles are very similar In size and proportion to your “new” CAM’s.  The wide baffle really helps the single driver sound fuller.  I’m also back in the 45 amp camp; my new-to-me Sonic Oli Korneff 45 amp arrived today.  It is a reasonable visual match to my existing Sonic Oli “Fi” 421A amp.

I haven’t fired it up yet, but it is a Korneff clone using the Sony TC500A Tamradio Iron.  The outputs look like what they look like.  They won’t win any beauty contests.  The PT though is a monster.  I would wager that the PT weighs as much as the rest of the amp combined and could probably power a much bigger amp.  It is also copper shielded.

Which model Isoacoustics do you have under the speakers?  They fit well.

jmolsberg

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2020, 08:33 pm »
Man I bet that sounds killer guf! And I am going to imagine you are sipping on pure moonshine  :D
Like roscoe I use the HO wide baffle rs5 with a 45 amp with the tc500 iron and it’s grand.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2020, 09:13 pm »
My wide baffle RS5 speakers are single driver.  I also own a pair of Super 3 HO monitor speakers with the narrow baffle.  I’ve found the wide baffle is not as important with the two drivers, but at least in theory the wide baffle offers the opportunity to run a larger coil to cut off the second driver at a lower frequency.  I am under the impression that mine have coils cutting off at 500hz, but I haven’t opened them to see.  I believe that Louis selected a lower frequency for the Alnico HO model (200hz).  If I’m not mistaken, Louis may have done the same for the RS5.

jmolsberg

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm »
^ I see now. Now let’s get things fired up! 🔥🔥

roscoe65

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2020, 12:27 am »
‘‘Twas the best off times, ‘twas the worst of times...

I fired up my new to me Olver Sayes Korneff clone.  I was going to use my Superphon Revelation DM preamp, but my local tech just went out of business due to COVID-19.  I subbed in a Chord Mojo as a digital-only DAC/preamp until I can get the preamp fixed.  I set up my old Omega Super 3 speakers.  Old except for the RS5 drivers, which have barely started break in.  I forgot how uneven and tight these new drivers are.  That’s a problem with having a lot of equipment - some of it doesn’t get fully run in.

The good news is that the amp easily drives the speakers to reasonable listening levels.  My experience with Omega break in has been that the bass will vastly improve and the cardboardy treble will come around.  At the moment it sounds more like Fostex than Omega.  Oddly enough, when a really well engineered recording comes on the speaker comes alive.  The next song sees it turn back into sound coming from a box.