New member, and very glad to be one

rippolito

New member, and very glad to be one
« on: 22 Dec 2020, 02:29 am »
My name is Ronald Ippolito.  I found this forum while I was looking for information on power conditioners.  Specifically, I am interested in adding power conditioners to my audio (two channel) and video (multi-channel audio, blu-ray player, flat screen) systems.

I will have some questions that I hope some of you that are smarter than me can help with.  I can also help others with areas that I have some experience with:  I've been in this hobby area for over thirty years.

I look forward to may interesting conversations.

Thank you...
Ron

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New member, and very glad to be one
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2020, 12:06 pm »
Ron,

Welcome to AC.

Which power conditioner were you thinking of? How many duplex (or single) receptacles?

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2020, 12:36 pm »
I've found that the quality of power is a localized phenomenon (by local and time).  Many factors go into creating power aberrations (the technical terms for dirty power).  Age/condition of appliances, design/condition of wiring, characteristic of other users sharing your network/substation (again age/condition of equipment).  In the last 25 years have lived in two houses.  The first was 50 years old and the wiring and appliances were a rats nest.  A friend brought over his PS Audio regenerator, to almost no advantage.  But heard background grunge disappear after local factories shut down while attending a Decware meeting in Peoria.  In my new house, with near ideal conditions all around have never heard an issue and even tried battery powered amp and preamp/DAC.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2020, 02:08 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ron   :thumb:

rippolito

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2020, 06:22 pm »
Ron,

Welcome to AC.

Which power conditioner were you thinking of? How many duplex (or single) receptacles?

Michael

Actually, I recently purchased a Balanced Power Technologies power conditioner - Clean Power Center.  It has ten outlets (five duplex receptacles)It has many features that I am only marginally up on, so this forum seemed like a good place to learn about them, exchange ideas with others, that sort of thing.

I have also read about power conditioners from Audioquest, IsoTek, Furman, Shunyata, etc. All seem to have strengths and weaknesses, so I want to learn more about them, as well.

When I get a few posts under my belt, I can begin to utilize the 'search' and 'private message' tools to get smarter. I already started another post, asking for info on isolation and balanced transformers, as a start.
Ron

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2020, 09:36 pm »
Welcome!

jjss49

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2020, 04:54 am »
welcome

power conditioning is a hornet's nest

very specific applicability where generalities are mostly useless

just gotta try a lotta stuff - yes gets expensive

good luck

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2020, 04:37 pm »
My best advice is try before you buy. In other words, I wouldn't buy a conditioner of any type that didn't offer a trial period with a return option. It's impossible to predict the effect/result on any one given system without auditioning.