New WOW1s Delivered - listening impressions

a63vette

New WOW1s Delivered - listening impressions
« on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:35 pm »
Just unpacked - they're gorgeous! Standard curly cherry and rounded grills. Unfortunately my amp (KT88 from Jim Nichols/JWN) is out for woodwork at Hardwood Specialties and won't be ready for 2 weeks so I haven't been able to listen to them as of yet. The fit and finish is everything I have read about and more. Jim was great to work with and I'm sure this won't be my last Salk product. Will update with a review once I have my amp. Preamp is a Cary SLP50B.  Thanks Jim!

Update - wow, I only have about 12 hours on the Wows but they sound terrific. I'm surprised how they seem to put out as much sound as my old Thiel 1.5s - the imaging is fantastic and the mids are wonderful. The base seems tight and extremely impressive for the size. I will probably add a salk sub at some point, but I don't feel the NEED to. Admittedly these are my first bookshelf speakers (except an old pair of Baby Advents). My amp puts out about 45-55 watts - which is plenty despite the 83DB sensitivity.  My room is about 20x10.

The highest compliment of all is that even my wife said they sound unreal - usually she doesn't have any opinion other than I don't hear any difference and those large speakers/amp/preamp are ugly etc etc etc. she loves the woodwork on the Salks and the custom enclosure on the JWN Amp.

I'm having some hum issues with my Cary preamp, so right now it's just my iPod headphone jack directly into my K88 tube amp /signal cables to the Salks.

Thanks Jim! Also thanks to Rick for his input on the Wows. Now, to convince the wife we need a pair of SCST or SS8s for the living room!  Happy holidays all.

« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2012, 09:33 pm by a63vette »

gregcss

Re: New WOW1s
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:38 pm »
They look great, but have to ask - is that tweeter pushed in?

a63vette

Re: New WOW1s Delivered
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:39 pm »
They look great, but have to ask - is that tweeter pushed in?

Nearly gave me a heart attack! I pulled the grill off, its a reflection in the pic. I also have to add that Jim's packing is impeccable.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2012, 05:14 pm »
Nice size

I bet they sound great integrated with the Victrola!   :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:03 pm »
Congrats a63vette, I'm sure you'll find them sounding as nice as they look, and by all reports hitting well above their weight.  Welcome to the Salk family.  8)

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:26 am »
Congrats - they look great. Happy listening and thanks for the pics.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2012, 05:01 am »
That's gotta be the smallest Salk speaker I've ever seen. But I bet the quality still remains large. Congrates.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:30 am »
Hey!

The wood on those speakers looks great.

And good to see another old talking machine owner here. Which Victrola model is that one?  Look like it is in very good condition there. I have  a Victor "Type E" machine here. :D

Is that a witch hat horn from a cylinder machine?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

a63vette

Re: New WOW1s Delivered - listening impressions
« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2012, 09:30 pm »
Update with listening impressions

yyz67

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2013, 03:44 am »
Update with listening impressions

Yes, please! I'm thinking of getting those little guys.

rick240

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:01 pm »
Yes, please! I'm thinking of getting those little guys.

The impressions were put into the first post...

...and they seem quite consistent with what I've experienced  :D

yyz67

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2013, 03:57 am »
The impressions were put into the first post...

I guess I wanted MORE impressions :oops:

a63vette

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:42 am »
Hi guys, sorry just saw this - I don't have much to add to the above but they continue to sound great. I find them very revealing as to recording quality. Everyone who hears them is astounded by the quality of sound - for non audiophiles one track of Adel and they're believers. The fit and finish continually impresses me.

I'll probably add a Salk sub when funds are available. The tube amp seems to compliment the speakers well.