« Reply #40 on: 30 Aug 2010, 06:29 pm »
Nice

I will be looking forwards to it
:)
Kyrill

markm1111

Re: Logitech Touch DIGITAL mod testers wanted
« Reply #41 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:21 am »
I received my modded Touch yesterday and am looking forward to testing it out. I too must commend Wayne on the very quick turn around (I bought it from a seller in the US, shipped directly to Wayne, modded, and posted to Australia all in 2 weeks!)

The main test for me will be against a stock Duet, both with Welborn Labs psus running through a Bel Canto Dac 3, BC Pre 3, BC Ref1000 Mk II monos, Dynaudio Focus 140's and Rel 505 sub in 2.1 config.

If I get the time I may compare against a stock Classic, and a Transporter, in my headphone rig using a Violectric HPA V200, or a Decware CSP-2+.

Or I may forget the testing after one listen and just kick back and enjoy!

Cheers

ajayrav

Re: Logitech Touch DIGITAL mod testers wanted
« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:44 am »
OK folks, I've spent a fair bit of time with my Bolder-modded Touch and so am finally qualified to comment on the sound.  Details about my rigs are posted in one of my previous posts in this thread.  Firstly, I am glad I waited to write this review, because everything you have heard about break-in taking a while is true.  Initial thoughts from listening on the Bel Canto rig was that it was OK.  Imaging was very good, as was instrument separation, but the sound was a little bright.  It wasn't so much that the treble was in overdrive, as much as the bass was MIA and the midrange a tad thin.  Some of this was probably due to the rig not being used for a while as I was moving into a new home.  Bear in mind that even at this stage, the Touch beat the pants off an unmodded duet, both with the supplied wall-wart and with a Channel Islands linear supply.  The unmodded duet was, in a word, unlistenable, and  even Dusty Vawter's Channel Island linear supply couldn't really resurrect it from mediocrity.  At this stage however, the modded Touch was no patch on my ART-modified Duet with its integrated power supply.  That had  imaging and separation comparable to the modded Touch, but added a much more refined tonal balance.  Bass was there in spades and the midrange had much needed gravitas.  After a long break-in period, the modded Touch began sounding good, very good in fact.  I liked it about as much as my ART modified duet in the Bel Canto rig, which I consider high praise indeed.  On my PrimaLuna (Dialogue 1 with KT66 tubes) rig using the much-lauded Eastern Electric DAC (stock), the Touch sounded detailed with excellent separation.  In A/B testing I felt like I preferred the ART modded Duet a bit more in this rig than the Modded Touch, especially with female voices, but the difference was small.  Indeed, I could live with either in my rig and be completely happy and suspect that you would too.  However, if you have decided that you might listen to hi-rez music there really is only one logical choice, since the Duet cannot handle hi-rez.  Also, the ART-modded Duet does not do internet radio either, so if that is important to you it might not work for you.  I personally haven't tested hi-rez tracks on my Touch but will do so and report back.  One important point to note is that the power supply I am using with my modded Touch is a predecessor to the standard one currently available, and as such, I expect the Standard power supply will sound better.

In summary, color me impressed!  To those who feel that a SABRE DAC will gild the sound of an inferior transport and make it wonderful...not quite!  Transports DO make a difference even with my Eastern Electric DAC, and a significant one at that.  Modding my Touch was a no-brainer, since I wasn't completely satisfied with the sound through either the Bel canto DAC3 or the EE one. Now I probably will need to get the EE dac mod as well.  Look at me, just frittering my dog's inheritance away.....

Cheers,
Ajay
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm by ajayrav »