a quick word about SP Tech

davidm1108

a quick word about SP Tech
« on: 11 Feb 2008, 05:36 am »
I just wanted to jot a message to the forum, and to Bob in particular. I own the very first pair of Timepiece 3.0's to roll off the line. Since I received them in October, I've logged--due to travel--only about 40 hours on them. Even so, they are already the finest speakers I have ever owned. 
They replaced a pair of Merlin VSM-MM's; which replaced a pair of Amphion Xenons, which replaced a pair of Dali Grand Coupes. I'm done with my speaker evolution (unless I get the Revelations, one day after winning the publisher's clearing house), but there's another chapter to this story:
Turning on my Belles 350 reference amp the other day, I was greeted with a spark, lots of smoke, and white noise emanating from my speakers. I have to say, the only thing I was worried about--besides burning down the high-rise I live in--was my Timepieces. It was 930 p.m. eastern standard time, and even though I hadn't had any contact with Bob since i received my speakers, I gave him a call. He was still in the factory, working. He talked me off the ledge, and told me that if the amp had in fact damaged my speakers--which I won't know until I get a new one and do a listening test--he would send me the appropriate replacement parts, AND walk me through the repair. "I don't want you to have to pack those babies up and haul them all the way back here," he said. That kind of personalized service is way above and beyond the call of duty, and yet another reason I suspect that SP is garnering such a loyal fan base. When I get the 3.0's up and running again, I welcome any SP buyers in the NYC area to stop by and audition them in my home. They are something special, and so's the company.
My next call is to Dave Belles, a phone call I have somewhat diminished expectations for  :cry:

thanks for indulging,

David Matthews

pbrstreetgang

Re: a quick word about SP Tech
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2008, 05:56 am »
Great Story! Sorry bout the Belles. Maybe an autoformer based output amp would keep your mind at ease and valuable speakers- valuable!

Rx8man

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:56 am »
I saw your post over at A.G. and figured you HAD to be the one and only owner of 3.0's so far.

Hope your amp gets working, I had a similar situation myself with a pair of VAC tube monoblocks, quite a 4th of July experience, lucky to have my vision after I dove for both power switches simultaneously.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 07:20 pm by Rx8man »

Audio-den

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:30 pm »
I AM GLAD YOUR SPEAKERS ARE OK  YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS DAVE WILL GET YOU UP AND RUNNING ENJOY  THE MUSIC  ALAN

davidm1108

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2008, 05:28 pm »
thanks guys! sending my belles out later this week. gonna try and keep 'er! :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2008, 05:36 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to share your story, David.  Your experience with Bob/SP Tech mirrors mine, but it's great to have new and/or lesser known posters confirm the kinds of things I, lonewolfny42 and a few others have been saying for years.  :thumb:

Congrats on getting the 3.0s.  I hope to have my 2.1s upgraded in the not-too-distant future, but the date will be determined by Bob's ability to wedge them into the existing production schedule.

I'm sorry to hear about your amp woes, but you're in good hands.  Dave is a very good person IMHO, so if the problem lies with the amp, I'm sure he'll do the right thing.

FWIW, if for some reason the Belles doesn't work out, I might have a couple of suggestions if you're interested.  I know the Belles is excellent with Bob's speakers, but there are other options.

Regards,

-Jim

davidm1108

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:46 pm »
thanks jim-- your 3.0's will be worth the wait. and i am FORCING myself to keep the belles if possible, because i think it's a wonderful amp--if a little finicky...but i must admit that the nuforce 9 v2's have me drooling just a bit :drool:
such is this hobby. women should thank god they're immune :roll:

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:50 pm »
women should thank god they're immune :roll:

My wife is into music as much or more so than I, but she despises the critical listening/equipment/cable comparison sessions.

But then, so do I.  :dunno:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:03 pm »
davidm1108...
When I get the 3.0's up and running again, I welcome any SP buyers in the NYC area to stop by and audition them in my home. They are something special, and so's the company.
Nice David....and I thought I had the only TP's in the area.

Good luck with getting "back on track" ........ :thumb:

Chris

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:09 pm »
thanks jim-- your 3.0's will be worth the wait. and i am FORCING myself to keep the belles if possible, because i think it's a wonderful amp--if a little finicky...but i must admit that the nuforce 9 v2's have me drooling just a bit :drool:
David...

Mike C. from the Rave owns NuForce amps....link....maybe he can make the trip over to you for a listen. Send him a PM.... :thumb:

Chris

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:12 pm »
David...

Mike C. from the Rave owns NuForce amps....link....maybe he can make the trip over to you for a listen. Send him a PM.... :thumb:

Chris

I could do that, if you live close. Ive wanted to hear the new 3.0s anyways. Or bring them to the rave. :)
Mike

davidm1108

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:47 pm »
what rave?? i'm out of the loop, lol. i should probably make sure my speakers are unharmed by my belles explosion before i risk hooking anything else up to them, but as soon as i figure that out, i def want to audition the nuforces... i live in midtown, btw.

best,

d

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:12 pm »
David....
The NY Audio Rave.....Link....... :thumb:

mfsoa

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:13 pm »
If you ever want to hear 'em with an all tube VAC front end, lemme' know-

I'm sure we could drag Mike back out here!

-Mike

Karsten

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2008, 12:05 am »
women should thank god they're immune :roll:

My wife is into music as much or more so than I, but she despises the critical listening/equipment/cable comparison sessions.

But then, so do I.  :dunno:

A man's got to do what a man's got to do  aa

jcpix

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2008, 04:01 am »

Dave,

I'd love to hear your SP's someday.  I have a Red Wine Sig 30.2 I could bring along.

Jeff

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:03 am »
David,

Sorry so late in responding.  As you all know, I don't have much time these days.

That kind of personalized service is way above and beyond the call of duty, and yet another reason I suspect that SP is garnering such a loyal fan base.

Thanks so much for the kind words.  Just doing my job though. :wink:

When I get the 3.0's up and running again, I welcome any SP buyers in the NYC area to stop by and audition them in my home.
Thanks for your willingness to help spread the word too. :thumb: SP Tech continues to exist and grow because of kind folks like you.  And don't forget, once you get the amp issue worked out, we'll see to it that you're back up and running ASAP if there's any issue with the speakers.  I doubt it though... never had a blown driver yet!

Take care,
-Bob

davidm1108

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2008, 07:44 am »
thanks all (and bob!)... may have to wait until i get my amp back from dave belles to let anyone hear the 3.0's--i'm a typical new yorker with no car and these babies are HEAVY :?
shouldn't be long now, i hope :drool: