NFL 2022/23

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: NFL 2022/23
« Reply #180 on: 30 Jan 2023, 12:15 pm »
I was at my son's house for the Eagles Niners game and we went out at half time to grab food.  Got back and the game was in the third quarter with Purdy at QB.  To my knowledge the announcers never explained why he was playing the rest of the game.  Now I had my grandson hollering about every new thing appearing on his Nintendo throughout the game, and of course I have to acknowledge every magical character, so I certainly could have missed it.  Regardless, the Eagles crushed the 49ers remnants in a snooze fest.

Joseph Ossai is still kicking himself this morning over a razor thin contest in the AFC Championship.  I feel bad for the kid.  KC may have got a few yards with 8 seconds left, but not likely 15 yards.  A great game anyway.  And now we have the Kelsey Bowl with Andy Reid facing his old team, what a story.

And once again the refs become the story.  The incomplete completion, the ball hitting the camera wire that only the refs didn't see, the third down do over, and the aforementioned roughing call.  Ridiculous.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #181 on: 30 Jan 2023, 04:04 pm »

jjss49

« Reply #182 on: 30 Jan 2023, 04:22 pm »
bengals got short end of stick on calls for sure, but it was their fault they didn't get the game to ot

big andy reid back to super bowl against his old team is a storyline written by the football gods

will be a heck of a game

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #183 on: 30 Jan 2023, 04:39 pm »
About a year ago I bought an 85" TV and football on it is SO MUCH BETTER.  I can actually see the effort involved.  During one of the 2 games on Sunday one of the players got hit so hard that his mouthpiece flew out several feet.  I'd never see that on a smaller set.  A great toy.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #184 on: 30 Jan 2023, 06:35 pm »
Funny you should mention this; I thought the game seemed more “real” for some reason. The hits were really jarring. Maybe closer camera angles?

twitch54

« Reply #185 on: 31 Jan 2023, 01:41 am »
pitchers & catchers report when ? can't come soon enough !   :D

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #186 on: 31 Jan 2023, 11:35 am »
pitchers & catchers report when ? can't come soon enough !   :D

Participation in this thread falls off dramatically every year when the losers drop off.  I don't know of any Chief fans here and I think Chris and I are the only Eagle fans, so I predict a short read from now on.

rodge827

« Reply #187 on: 31 Jan 2023, 11:58 am »
I think Chris and I are the only Eagle fans, so I predict a short read from now on.

Yup!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #188 on: 31 Jan 2023, 02:45 pm »
The Eagles are a really good team this year, they pretty much mashed everybody flat.
I think this is going to be a really good Super Bowl.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #189 on: 1 Feb 2023, 02:16 pm »
What a momentus day in football.  Tom Brady, the GOAT, retires for real, we think.  Sean Payton is hired by the Broncos.  Wadda ya think?

rodge827

« Reply #190 on: 1 Feb 2023, 03:16 pm »
It’s time for TB12 to ride off into the sunset. He made his mark and an impressive mark it is on the game. Now he can devote his time to his kids and help raise the next TB12.
Payton is a great coach with a proven track record. Kinda think if he can’t turn the Bronks around then who? Should be an interesting year for them.

GO IGGLES!

twitch54

« Reply #191 on: 1 Feb 2023, 04:21 pm »
What a momentus day in football.  Tom Brady, the GOAT, retires for real, we think.  Sean Payton is hired by the Broncos.  Wadda ya think?

I was hoping the Bills would fire McDermott (useless) and hire Payton, oh well, it's Bflo, can't expect much......

Hopefully the upcoming 'Kelce Bowl' will be an entertaining one. I was down to the Auto Show Monday in Philly (worst show ever) and the faithful were out in their Green !

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #192 on: 2 Feb 2023, 11:13 am »
I was hoping the Bills would fire McDermott (useless) and hire Payton, oh well, it's Bflo, can't expect much......

Ya know, I've come to realize that I really don't know much about what makes a great head coach beyond their W/L record and how they call time outs.  And judging by their performance I don't think GMs and owners know much more than I do.  Half of the online pundits think Payton is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the other half thinks he's a fugese fraud who got lucky in one Superbowl.  So I'm pretty sure they don't know either.  Looking at great coaches of the past doesn't help much either, Bill Parcels and Chuck Noll were both great coaches and couldn't be more different.  The only common thread between all the greats is that they could find and hire great staffs.  We'll see what Payton can do in Colorado.

twitch54

« Reply #193 on: 2 Feb 2023, 02:39 pm »
Ya know, I've come to realize that I really don't know much about what makes a great head coach beyond their W/L record and how they call time outs.  And judging by their performance I don't think GMs and owners know much more than I do.  Half of the online pundits think Payton is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the other half thinks he's a fugese fraud who got lucky in one Superbowl.  So I'm pretty sure they don't know either.  Looking at great coaches of the past doesn't help much either, Bill Parcels and Chuck Noll were both great coaches and couldn't be more different.  The only common thread between all the greats is that they could find and hire great staffs.  We'll see what Payton can do in Colorado.

Point taken and I agree.  Modern athletes are a fragile bunch IMO so chemistry is a big part of the equation. Just look at the superb job Rob Thomson did with the Phillies after he took over mid-saeson last year !

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #194 on: 4 Feb 2023, 11:23 am »
Baseball, isn't that a quaint sport handed down from the 1800s?  Going to the game offers a pleasant social interaction with all the beer, food, and conversation filling up the long interludes between any action.  Baseball is like 19th century warfare, months of boredom interspersed with moments of terror.  Football is like modern warfare, constant combat interspersed by short breaks to regroup.  The problem with both football and war is that you can't maintain the casualty rates for very long.  We have two very wounded teams going into the game.  Hurts will certainly require clean up surgery after the season and Mahomes won't be fully healed for another month or two.  The owners want to go to 18 games in order to shove even more money in their pockets, while I think they should go back to 14 games, give each team two of three byes, and eliminate the preseason.  Or transition to flag or two hand touch.  The human body is not meant to go through such trauma.

rodge827

« Reply #195 on: 4 Feb 2023, 12:30 pm »
Couldn’t agree more! The game is now played by super humans at all positions. Today there are coaches/trainers for all aspects of a players needs. Mental, strength, and nutrition conditioning from Pop Warner/Jr High/High School/College/Pro are available. Thing is the human body can only handle so much and eventually it does catch up. Most of these guys are in one form or another seriously debilitated for life! The game has become so technical too with super slow-mo replays that hold everything up. “Did the ball wobble before he was down?” Just play the f^(k*ng game!!
The NFL has been printing money for years. Teams are multi billion dollar corporations where the bottom line is more important than any players health! 18 games is way too much! I like 16 games with 2 bye weeks and 2 preseason games.

Rant over…where’s my bran muffin?

Go Iggles!

twitch54

« Reply #196 on: 7 Feb 2023, 09:36 pm »
According to my grandson, Eagles by 17 .........  :P

rodge827

« Reply #197 on: 7 Feb 2023, 09:57 pm »
According to my grandson, Eagles by 17 .........  :P

Smart kid!  :D

Emil