LRS and high pass filters

cdr1

LRS and high pass filters
« on: 18 Oct 2021, 06:41 pm »
Is anyone using a passive inline RCA high pass filter between the preamp and power amp with the LRS?  What crossover point works best?
Thanks

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: LRS and high pass filters
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2021, 10:35 pm »
Not yet as I'm saving my pennies for an REL but that's coming up pretty soon.
I'm going to try 60 hz and take it from there.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-measurements

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2021, 11:27 pm »
I’ve tried 60hz to 120hz.  80hz seems to work best in my setup.

cdr1

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2021, 12:23 pm »
Thank you

wgallupe

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2021, 07:32 pm »
I'm using a Marchand Electronics XM46-AA passive line level crossover set at 100hz. Slope is 24db on both high and low pass. The low pass signal feeds the LFE inputs on a pair of REL T/7x subs. Works well. Relieving the LRS of low frequency duty really improves mid/high frequency clarity.

Phil Marchand actually suggested 120hz as best for the LRS but I just couldn't bring myself to go that high ;-)

« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2022, 01:46 pm by wgallupe »

Jazzbert

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2021, 03:43 pm »
Do you have your sub located so that it's central so you can't locate it?

BikeFi10

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2022, 07:37 pm »
I was just about to post this topic and just found this. I have 1.7i s.
Got the idea from OCD HiFi guy on utoob.

Looked at Marchands 80hz filter for $300 + t+ ship. Before dishing out about $350, I see Parts Express sells a 4 and 8 ohm 80hz filter. Db /oct not indicated. About $40 for 2, left right.
Im wonder about component quality. They claim the quality is very good.

Has anyone tried this? Which ohmage would be best? Anyone know where to get high quality compents to make this filter? Looks pretty basic . I think OCD HiFi guy said a passive xo goes between amp and speakers. I see above it was put between pre amp and amp.

Id be driving my Rythmix sub from pre amps 2nd pair of pre outs.

Thanks for any ideas.

westly197

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2022, 05:56 am »
So I’m RE-doing my response after reviewing a bit more information and a little testing. The Parts Express crossover works fine for a basic 12 DB per octave filter, but it uses the very lowest cost designed components, so if you have a higher end system you will notice it will smear & muddy up your audio in the mid and upper frequencies much like most low to mid fi stock speaker crossovers. It uses both an iron core inductor and basic electrolytic capacitor, with better parts it would be better, but the cost would go up quite a bit. Considering these factors I would not recommend it for the LRS, though the LRS also uses an only slightly better crossover for main part of the panel, better for the tweeter. Removing it and using the low level crossover in my preamp set to 55 hz presets a noticeable improvement over using the parts express high pass and the subs set at 80 hz. Mids and highs are cleaner and more convincing. For reference my wife would say there is absolutely no difference at all, so your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2022, 04:58 am by westly197 »

BikeFi10

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2022, 03:30 pm »
A bit dated here but, Im currently finishing up sub enclosure for the Rythmix 400w 12" servo sub diy kit. I just learn the subs amp has a built in 80hz xo output. ( feeds back to main amp so 80hz and below are not sent to main speakers. In my case Magnepan 1.7i s.
Im very excited to try this out. Here I was looking to spend $300 + for the Marchand xo.
I would think Rythmix, being a high rated amp, has better quality compents then the basic Parts Express 80hz xo.
A couple weeks before sub goes in my rig.  Ill report back if anyone still following.

BikeFi10

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2022, 04:53 pm »
Finally setup my Magnepan 1.7i s with the built in 80hz xo in my Rythmix sub panel amp. First, I was pleased  how well the 12" 400 watt sub reproduced the low end on its own, but Im sure a 2nd sub would take it to another level. Not sure if it was an expectation effect, but I do feel there was a small clearity upgrade to the highs and mids.
Danny at GR Research says the Rythmix  uses an electrolitic cap on the 80hz out xo. Too bad they cheaped out there where as the sub itself performs so well.
So santa Id like a 2nd Rythmix sub and Marchand xo, ☺