BDA-3 DAC

Lappy27

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1100 on: 9 Nov 2018, 08:59 pm »
Felas, felas, come on now. I thought I knew a thing or two about power cables, having studied electrical engineering and all of that. That was until I was told/instructed/reeducated to stop believing the science and trust my ears because there is more that we don't know than what we do know. Apparently, electricity has not yet been fully investigated. Damn, I just hope I haven't made any serious mistakes designing those 5 MW bio-gas power plants.

What I ought to be doing is start my own business and reinvent everything - with a HI-FI prefix. Someone really ought to take money from these people before they hurt themselves with it. I am sick of watching others take their money and I want my share. I demand my share!

I realized long ago that it's really a waste of time to get into debates with scientists and/or cables/tweaks non-believers and I promised myself to not go into this trap again. I failed. I shouldn't have respond to gbaby reply. My bad. This subject is even more polarizing than religion and politics in this hobby.

I have some pretty good arguments for my case but that won't change your opinion and your arrogant post won't change mine. If you want my money, send me something I can try with money back guarantee as all purchases I made and if it make an improvement in my system to my ears/brain and the price make sense in correlation of the improvement, I will gladly give it to you. Easy way to make money no? Especially for a high profile engineer as you.

I assume you have stock wall duplexes, stock power cables and interconnects with components laying around on glasses shelves. Well, I can tell you one thing. If it's the case, you never heard the true potential of your components whatever the design. NOT EVEN CLOSE. How I know that? Because I DARE to experiment, even with a more then skeptical approach at first. In your case, ignorance is bliss I guess.

Sigh...I only wanted to know the value of a fuse. Wrong forum. I won't pollute anymore.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1101 on: 9 Nov 2018, 10:32 pm »

Sigh...I only wanted to know the value of a fuse. Wrong forum. I won't pollute anymore.

Did Mike Pickett get back to you? He's usually fast.

Jozsef

« Reply #1102 on: 10 Nov 2018, 08:25 am »
he said he had done objective experiments. That means measurements.

sidenote: Do you know of the work by Hubel and Wiesel (1960s, visual cortex; 1981 Nobel winners)? Hudspeth (auditory transduction/hair cells)? Great stuff.
I did not imagine that he measured performance differences between AC receptacles that would improve the sonic characteristics of audio components and therefore assumed it was a case of the wrong term.

I don't recall reading those but they sound very interesting, no pun intended. Are there links by any chance?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1103 on: 10 Nov 2018, 10:51 am »

I don't recall reading those but they sound very interesting, no pun intended. Are there links by any chance?

Hi

Try this to start:

https://www.nobelprize.org/uploads/2018/06/hubel-lecture.pdf
https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/1981/hubel/lecture/

For Hudspeth's work on the inner hair cells of the ear:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrn3786
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724262/

cheers
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2018, 12:23 pm by CanadianMaestro »

R. Daneel

« Reply #1104 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:52 am »
I realized long ago that it's really a waste of time to get into debates with scientists and/or cables/tweaks non-believers and I promised myself to not go into this trap again. I failed. I shouldn't have respond to gbaby reply. My bad. This subject is even more polarizing than religion and politics in this hobby.

I have some pretty good arguments for my case but that won't change your opinion and your arrogant post won't change mine. If you want my money, send me something I can try with money back guarantee as all purchases I made and if it make an improvement in my system to my ears/brain and the price make sense in correlation of the improvement, I will gladly give it to you. Easy way to make money no? Especially for a high profile engineer as you.

I assume you have stock wall duplexes, stock power cables and interconnects with components laying around on glasses shelves. Well, I can tell you one thing. If it's the case, you never heard the true potential of your components whatever the design. NOT EVEN CLOSE. How I know that? Because I DARE to experiment, even with a more then skeptical approach at first. In your case, ignorance is bliss I guess.

LOL! It is never a good idea to judge according to your own standards. Therefore, everything you have assumed is wrong. Consider moving your post to a more humorous thread. People "who just know" are fantastic to make fun of at lectures and seminars.

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1105 on: 12 Nov 2018, 01:11 pm »
jeesh, just marked the centennial of the end of one war, let's not start another, boyz.

The Rang

« Reply #1106 on: 13 Nov 2018, 05:05 am »
Hi Rang

If you are getting pops then it means your DVD player is not outputting a digital signal between tracks and the BDA-3 is having to re-clock and re-lock in between tracks  Some DVD players do this while others maintain the digital signal at all time and therefore no pop 

I would recommend COAX or BNC if you want 192/24 capability assuming your DVD player is outputting 192/24 on those outputs

james

Thanks James,
That makes sense.
I’ve heard the term ‘gapless playback’, now I understand its importance.
My CXU can output 24/192 via SPDIF and is set that way, in fact the the DAC ‘sees’ it but as soon as the disc is inserted it goes to 48K. It look like that’s whats on the disc on LPCM.

The 24/192 is Dolby TrueHD, I think. So this is quirk with the disc itself.
Other Bluray audio discs have not had the same issue.

Still learning the nuances of the various formats and resolutions but loving the DAC.
Though the key feature for me was DSD playback via HDMI, I think the biggest improvements might be on 16/44.1 redbook

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1107 on: 13 Nov 2018, 10:06 am »
Thanks James,
That makes sense.
I’ve heard the term ‘gapless playback’, now I understand its importance.
My CXU can output 24/192 via SPDIF and is set that way, in fact the the DAC ‘sees’ it but as soon as the disc is inserted it goes to 48K. It look like that’s whats on the disc on LPCM.

The 24/192 is Dolby TrueHD, I think. So this is quirk with the disc itself.
Other Bluray audio discs have not had the same issue.

Still learning the nuances of the various formats and resolutions but loving the DAC.
Though the key feature for me was DSD playback via HDMI, I think the biggest improvements might be on 16/44.1 redbook

Hi Rang

I agree with a superb DAC most people do not realize how good standard CD 16/44 can sound!

james

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #1108 on: 14 Nov 2018, 10:48 pm »
James wrote: "I agree with a superb DAC most people do not realize how good standard CD 16/44 can sound!"

I guess that's why my BCD-3 reproduces RedBook CDs with such accuracy.  Its DAC is a transfer from the BDA-3.

The Rang

« Reply #1109 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:36 am »
I’m hearing a smooth 3 dimensionality that draws me into the music.
I forget the DAC is there, which is probably the best compliment I can give it  :thumb:

gbaby

« Reply #1110 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:36 am »
Hi Rang

I agree with a superb DAC most people do not realize how good standard CD 16/44 can sound!

james

I think 44.1/16 sounds more natural. I am impressed the way the BDP-3 plays back redbook .aiff files through the BDA-3. I'm also liking USB digital playback through both the BDA-3 and my SP-3.

Georgios

« Reply #1111 on: 16 Nov 2018, 10:38 pm »
Just wondering, can I use a Bryston remote to control the volume of BDA-3? Though I know it might not be ideal sound wise.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1112 on: 16 Nov 2018, 10:41 pm »
Just wondering, can I use a Bryston remote to control the volume of BDA-3? Though I know it might not be ideal sound wise.

Hi

No the BDA3 does not have a volume control.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1113 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:51 pm »
It is interesting how listening sessions in showrooms are conducted. They usually use the best possible recordings they have to present the gear they sell in the best possible light. However, I have often found it is precisely average-sounding recordings that reveal the most about the gear. In particular, one of the best traits of Bryston's BDA-2 D/A converter is the way it handles CD-quality audio. It presents it with consistent accuracy and quick trainsients. In my experience, almost any D/A converter will sound fabulous with excellent and/or high-resolution recordings but they won't be so great if you feed them an average recording, which most of them are.

While I won't claim there is no difference between CD-quality and high-resolution recordings, because there usually is, I think the differences are actually less evident with BDA-2 doing the decoding than with some other converters I have listened to. I assume it has to do with the way this converter was designed - only time-proven techniques were used where all the bases were covered (power supplies, circuit layout, discrete analog circuit etc.). It performs very consistently so the conclusion must be whoever designed this converter knew exactly what he/she was doing.

I don't know how many of you use older technology like DAT or MD but connected to such devices, I can only say BDA-2 performs very consistently there too, which is something I could never say for some other converters I have used. MD uses Atrac compression at 292 kbit/s but sounds very close to CD's 1411 kbit/s. I have explored many levels of this converter and am still discovering new things. I think James is having nightmares whenever he gets an email from me asking him to answer a dozen questions!

Cheers!
Antun

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1114 on: 24 Nov 2018, 07:05 am »

...is the BDA-3 Roon ready?  :scratch:

al.

Grant Hill

« Reply #1115 on: 24 Nov 2018, 11:11 am »
Nope, the BDP players are roon ready

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1116 on: 24 Nov 2018, 11:39 am »
...is the BDA-3 Roon ready?  :scratch:

al.

Hi Alex

Yes the BDA-3 DAC has been tested by ROON and is approved.

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #1117 on: 24 Nov 2018, 04:03 pm »
Ops... sorry abut that... I guess Roon's website it's not updated

Georgios

« Reply #1118 on: 26 Nov 2018, 04:26 am »
Any update on new matching universal player?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1119 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:39 am »
...a Bryston universal player ? hmmm....

would be interesting to know if there is a new BDP-4 on the road???

al.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2018, 08:35 am by alexone »