Modded DAC 60 and Squeezebox listening session

Wayne1

« on: 21 Apr 2006, 05:45 pm »
I have been contacted by a gentleman in Conifer who has a DAC 60 modded by Sonicraft. He is interested to hear how it works with the Squeeze Box.

mgalusha has volunteered to host this gathering. We will have a stock SB3 stock PS, original Basic PS, Basic Rev 1, and the latest versions with Jensens and Bybees. We will have modded SB of all levels. If any of the Denver or Front Range AC menbers care to attend, please PM mgalusha to make sure there is room.

I will try to bring by my pair of AV123 XL-s and X- SUB for audition.
If any of you have any DACs you would want to compare to the SB or see how the mods and PS change the sound, you are welcome to bring some gear.

We are tentetively planning this on Sunday April 30. Time to be decided. :oops:

machine

« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2006, 05:57 pm »
I have a stock SB3 and a Sonicraft Modded DAC-60.

Right now i'm using the SB3 as my pre-amp until I get my DOOD battery powered pre-amp.

Right now I have my system setup as follows:

FLAC->SB3->DAC60->DODD 120Watt Monos->RAW Acoustic RA8's

I think the DAC60 is close to being finished burining in (100hrs +), while I'm still burning in the 120w monos and breaking in the RA8s.

I can tell you the SB3 works great with the DAC60.  Im using the Coax digital out to the DAC60 and Analog out to my subwoofer.

The SB3 volume control is nice, don't really notice too much distorsion at lower levels.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2006, 06:05 pm »
Well, one of the things we will compare is the sound of a modded SB with digital out into the DAC 60. The differences that power supplies have on the sound of the digital output to the DAC 60. We will also compare the sound of a modded DAC 60 to the analog ouput of a modded SB

Should be fun

machine

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2006, 07:18 pm »
Can't wait for the results.

MarkM

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2006, 07:44 pm »
Should be a great listening session.  I too own a modded Dac 60.  I just recently purchased a SB3 and in the process of building a music library.

The SB is great and has exceeded my expectations on features and ease of use.  I do find the stock unit to be a tad hot in the treble compared to my Sony transport.  I had been flirting with either digital out mods and upgrading the power supply.

I look forward to the results of the power supplies.

Hats off to Wayne for putting his products up to the competition.  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:00 pm »
Quote from: MarkM
Should be a great listening session.  I too own a modded Dac 60.  I just recently purchased a SB3 and in the process of building a music library.

The SB is great and has exceeded my expectations on features and ease of use.  I do find the stock unit to be a tad hot in the treble compared to my Sony transport.  I had been flirting with either digital out mods and upgrading the power supply.

I look forward to the results of the power supplies.

Hats off to Wayne for putting his products up to the competition.  :thumb:

Given the quality of Wayne's Power Supplies, he has nothing to fear from the "competition".   :lol:

George

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:05 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Given the quality of Wayne's Power Supplies, he has nothing to fear from the "competition".   :lol:

George

I agree!  :thumb:

EProvenzano

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:15 pm »

George

Is this a pot shot at someone?
It reads that way.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: EProvenzano

George

Is this a pot shot at someone?
It reads that way.

Not a pot shot at anybody.  Simply a very happy cusotmer who thinks Wayne's Power Supplies are much better than the other vendors he is compared to.  

What makes you think it is a pot shot at someone?

George

EProvenzano

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:30 pm »
Well you quoted the ''Competition'' and then started laughing about it.
Sounds like you're posturing an inside joke.

Hey, it's just one mans interpretation, fwiw.

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:29 am »
Quote from: EProvenzano
Well you quoted the ''Competition'' and then started laughing about it.
Sounds like you're posturing an inside joke.

Hey, it's just one mans interpretation, fwiw.

Not just one man's interpretation.  I agree with you EProvenzano.

Why make the "'competition".  :lol:' comment?

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:43 am »
Sunday the 30th is good for me. Let's say about 11:00am to 5:00pm or so. Gotta finish up in time to have dinner and watch the Sopranos. :)

I've just talked with Jerry and he's volunteered to bring a few acoustic panels as well.

By then the GB300D amps will also have about 300 hours on them if anyone would like to listen to those as well.

I've talked with Wayne, Jerry and so far have one PM, so we have four including the gentleman with the DAC-60 that Wayne is bringing along. As I don't have a huge place I like to keep it to no more than 7 total, so I should have room for about two more.

PM me for directions if you've never been here before.

Mike

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:54 am »
FWIW Both Zybar and Double Ugly have owned and used full RWA battery powered SB2 mods and Bolder Cable modded SB2s.

fu_man

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2006, 07:30 am »

The SB is great and has exceeded my expectations on features and ease of use. I do find the stock unit to be a tad hot in the treble compared to my Sony transport. I had been flirting with either digital out mods and upgrading the power supply

MarkM,
The modified SB is a total transformation, you haven't heard anything yet!

I have a cheap DAC (Xindak3 ) and it sounds great thru' the modded SB3.  I would love to know  what  extra a modified  DAC60 could  bring.  
(Has anyone compared the DAC60 to the benchmark or Perp. Tech. offerings?)

I look forward to the reviews.  I don't know what competition Wayne has in $700 to $1400+ power mods, but I expect the reviews will try to quantify the  bang for buck  between Wayne's units. By the accounts here they seem awesome.

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:54 pm »
There is a local gentleman who has a Benchmark DAC-1 who is interested in comparing. Unfortunately he is working the next few weekends. Sometime soon, I hope we can hook up. I have also extended the invite to Sean at AV123, but he is busy that weekend, as well.

I will have the stock supply, the first Basic and the Basic Rev 1 supplies to compare against the more expensive supplies. Hopefully the folks will be able to tell what gets them the best bang for the buck

mgalusha

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2006, 10:20 pm »
I just noticed that Wayne's original post said Sunday May 30th but when we discussed this it was for next weekend, Sunday, April 30th. May 30th is a Tuesday. So for anyone who was planning on dropping by, it's next weekend, April 30th, not May. :)

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2006, 10:38 pm »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

I changed the post to the corrct date

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

fu_man

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2006, 03:06 pm »
Thanks Wayne,
a comparison of the DAC60  with a benchmark "sometime soon" would be very interesting indeed!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2006, 01:40 am »
I'll come.  Instead of equipment, I'll bring scotch :)

mgalusha

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2006, 08:54 pm »
Scotch is good. :thumb:

I am officially out of space. I received a couple of emails today, so we should have a good group. Now I just have to find places for everyone to sit. Well maybe the weather will be nice and we can rotate around and have a beverage on the porch.  :beer: