Blowin' 1A fuses ????

2bigears

Blowin' 1A fuses ????
« on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:06 am »
 :D  Hey all,my VAC Avatar integrated blows the main fuse on light-off....What to check 1st ???? 
      thanks all.....Pat

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Blowin' 1A fuses ????
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:23 am »

FWIW my Manley 300B pre was blowing 2A fuses on fire-up. It was a bum diode.

D.D.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:27 am »
 :D   soooo take it to the fix-it-shop time ????

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:30 am »

It was for me.

D.D.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:55 am »
Unless you are comfortable desoldering parts off of a pc board and testing them to insure they match Up with the specs on the schematic. Also it may be a bad tube.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2012, 03:58 am »
 :D   a bad 88 will blow the main ????  It blows instantly.....

ptmconsulting

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2012, 01:34 pm »
I had a similar problem in my phono stage. It would light up on  the low power start up, then blow the fuse when the high power switch was flipped. One of the diodes in that circuit measurted fine by itself, but showed a short under load. I suggest replacing all 4 power supply diodes as a start, if you can find out the part numbers.

Of course, it could alwyas be something else, like the transformer, but I suggest starting small and easy first.

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm »
 :D   Well you guys hit it on the head..... I really am slipping more and more each day ??   I made a call to VAC service,Sarasota.....Where i want to live..Ha  1st off, the proper fuse was a 5 amp fuse....  And of course a slow burn.....So my .5A fuses were poppin' as per normal.....  Ha  Then,with the amp powered up,with the 88's out,you can put them in 1 by 1 and see which tube is bad.....Sweet music in the house again..Just as a second system,i am running the amp with Mag3.6's with Super V's for subs ..... Sounds darn good actually..   :D