Psvanes 12au7 v.s. NOS

50jess

Psvanes 12au7 v.s. NOS
« on: 26 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm »
I have read that the Psvane 12au7s are the best sounding new production tubes these days.  I have NOS 12au7s - RCA Clear Tops, RFTs.  I want to try the Psvane 12au7s but only if the Psvanes are significantly better because I'm quite happy with these NOS tubes.  Are they worth a try?

JakeJ

Re: Psvanes 12au7 v.s. NOS
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2011, 12:00 am »
You might include what device they will be used in.  Someone here may have actual experience with the gear you have.

Just a thought.

50jess

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2011, 01:54 am »
I'm using a Tri TRV 88SE (45 watts) with Penta KT88s, a Tungsram 12AX7, a Cayin CD-50T tube CDP and Harbeth C7 speakers.  Currently, the 12AU7s are RCA Clear Tops.
Thanks for the suggestion.   

rivieraranch

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:51 am »
 I believe that the Pissvanes are all hyped up and not worth the money. I would rather use pulls.

mca

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:57 am »
Just curious why it's so hard for new tube makers to make a tube that can sound as good or better than the old expensive NOS tubes?

mdfoy

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:14 am »
I had a set of Pavane 12AU7 in my preamp. They were very quiet and dynamic. The music appeared to leap out from a black background. The bass and mids stood out above the treble region, but they did lack in the depth department, which was difficult to pinpoint what was up. Quiet, dynamic, what more could you ask for.  Only in comparison to another set of tubes (NOS CBS-Hytron 5814) did It become apparent. The lack of depth and dip in the high end gave a perspective I was not looking for. They are good tubes, with qualities that may fit in your system, it all depends on the setup.  YMMV applies to these tubes as it does to everything else.

KJ

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:19 am »
I've spent the last two weeks comparing over a dozen 12AU7 tubes in my pre-amp including the Psvanes and RCA clear tops.  There is a noticeable difference in sound between the two, but nothing as drastic of a change as swapping in something like a Mullard.  If you prefer a detailed sound (possibly considered analytical by some) with full range top to bottom, then the Psvane may be for you.  If you enjoy the mild texture, grit and air the clear top offers while maintaining a fair amount of detail, you might find the Psvane a tad dry and edgy by comparison.

I still enjoy the Psvane in my DAC, but the CT is definitely in my top three thus far for the pre-amp.  As always, YMMV.

coverto

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:33 am »
I've tried the Psvane 12ax7s and 12au7s, and thought they held up extremely well vs. the NOS Telefunkens and 1950s Amperex Bugle Boys that I've got in those positions, respectively, now. My experience is more in line with mdfoy's than KJ's - I did not find them to be dry or edgy, and enjoyed the rich midrange coming from a black background. As always, it's very system dependent.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:09 am »
Just curious why it's so hard for new tube makers to make a tube that can sound as good or better than the old expensive NOS tubes?

Me too. There must be a lot more to making a good tube than copying a design and constructing the parts. Technique!

A lost art . . .

rpf

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:14 am »
I've tried a bunch of 12AU7s in both the pre-amp and driver section of my Cronus integrated. I found the Psvanes to be very quiet and resolving with good frequency balance. I also found them to be extremely smooth sounding; too much so in my gear. I prefer the bit more texture that I get from Radiotechniques ('65) or Raytheon or RCA black-plates. The Mullard CV4003/12AU7 is too thick sounding in the pre position but makes for the best driver. The RCA cleartop I find too uptilted. I haven't tried the Genalex re-issue yet.

As is always stated, it is gear and preference dependent.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2012, 03:39 pm by rpf »

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:16 am »
Me too. There must be a lot more to making a good tube than copying a design and constructing the parts. Technique!

A lost art . . .

Also, I've read that some of the materials used then are considered too toxic to be used now. I'm curious as to whether that's true.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:54 am »
Yeah, I've read that too. But I thought that China didn't have to follow the same environmental rules as other countries. Maybe they do now.

I have not tried the Psvanes yet, but what you guys are describing about their house sound is what I would describe about my black treasure tubes (300Bs), which are also high end Chinese tubes. It is very difficult to find any real fault with them yet some how they are extremely boring. No character at all.

I have some full music 6SN7s on the way, maybe I will have better luck with that brand.

I still want to try the Psvanes for myself too.

Lord Soth

• I'm an American BadAss!
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2012, 03:12 am »

A lost art . . .

Yes, that's the problem with hand-made items.

You just can't stroll into Walmart and pick up a Stradivarius violin.