Alto Sax

jazzcourier

Re: Alto Sax
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:16 am »
Certainly have to include the lesser recorded Joe Maini in that list of the West coast altos.He was a fiery player who is best heard on those Terry Gibbs Big Band albums live issued on Contemporary.Part of the hard Partying clique that worked the strip clubs backing Lenny Bruce.Both Charlie Mariano and Herb Geller made some great records here in L.A. but they did not stay the course.As good as Herb was his Wife Lorraine was a wonderful  pianist who made one great record on Dot.The record they made together-the Gellers on Emarcy is one to hear.Lorraine died not long after.All the Niehaus records on Contemporary are really good.I have to confess i am not big on his playing in light of Art Pepper,but a very good writer.Some of those records have the hugely underrated Bob Gordon on baritone.Another early death from a car accident.
    Two players well above the norm of the so called "West coast sound"-Sonny Criss and Art Pepper.
Bud Shank is in a class by himself.Every record from the 50's is golden.His versatility was profound-the immensely enjoyable Laurinda Almeida albums for Pacific Jazz-the first of that type and Pre Chico Hamilton sans piano.All the records with Bob Cooper-flute and oboe.Why did all the New York and Chicago Jazz press ignore and hate these guys? There was so much variety and imagination that flourished there -or here,i should say,in the 50's.To this day one of the finest alto players continues to be overlooked-Gary Foster-a major league Jazz improviser, making a living as a studio player and teacher -makes a record every now and again.
     Shortly before his death Bud Shank made some great blowing records with some New York players for Muse.
There were just never enough Jazz clubs for these guys to make a living.
     I grew up with Shelly's Manne Hole and the Lighthouse and half a dozen Jazz clubs that had music 7 nights a week.Most of which had no cover charge or admission price at the door.Lots of these West Coast guys worked often.The nights i passed on the weekly Joe Pass gigs now still bother me a bit,but i spent a lot of nights "watching people with horns in their mouth" as one guy used to say,"that's why we are all so crazy"

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:30 am »
What about Lennie Niehaus? Bud Shank? Herb Geller? A lot of great altos from the west coast. Do you guys like west coast jazz? I think I'l start a thread about that.
I am familiar with those cats.  Nice work, Rich.  Bud Shank, in particular from back in the days I was listening to my best friend's older sister's collection (Chico Hamilton, Paul Horn- speaking of altoists, and others).

Just got a CD named Promises by the Michael Garrick Sextet with Joe Harriott.  Joe's two Cd's that remain available are so frighteningly expensive I did an end around.  It's quite interesting, the English approach to modern jazz of the time (1965), and very enjoyable.  And about altoists, I listened to Black Saints and The Sinner Lady (Charles Mingus) to listen to Charlie Mariano's playing, again.  On track 3, Group Dancers, he is featured with Jerome Richardson on baritone.  After a rather frenetic section, the tempo changes and Charlie emerges.  Oh, that cry!   Mingus could have gotten any alto player, I expect, but there is no mistaking why he got this one.  His playing is painfully beautiful.

John Handy's playing on Live at Monterey (Columbia) is totally worth seeking out.  After the laborious introduction by Handy, this son-of-a-bitch departs the planet!  Make that solar system!  See if you don't agree.  This is one of the times five guys meld into a single rocket.  Seen them play Spanish Lady many times at Both/And near my crib at the time.  Me and Ralph J. Gleason who praised this group repeatedly.

jazzcourier

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:31 am »
Jim,I am glad you mentioned Michael Garrick.Great Brit composer and the writing is very Mingusian.Some of that Joe Harriott material is available from Dusty Groove in Chicago.They do get some interesting,out of the way British and European issues,Such as The Max Ionata quartet featuring Fabrizio Bosso  (INspiration) on the Albore label from Italy distributed in Japan for some reason.Exceptional straight ahead Jazz on par with most anything you might hear from the same 30-40-ish age players in the U.S .The Joe Harriott Quintet "Swings High" from 1967 reissued in 2004 in England by Cadillac Records.This session is neither Indo-fusion nor Avant-Garde -it is straight ahead Blues inspired Modern Jazz.Joe sounds great,still edgy and the quintet is pumped along by the great Phil Seamen on drums.Seems every record Phil appeared on in this time frame they were sure he was going to cash out behind the tubs  at any moment-still played his fascinating blend of press rolls and weirdly placed accents and odd cymbal blasts,the stuff that Americans came back from England talking about.During this time Philly Joe Jones went to England to take advantage of the then progressive Methadone treatment program and became tight with fellow drummer and fellow addict Seamen.Phil did die in 1972 and left a hefty legacy of great work with the best of the British Jazzers.I believe Michael Garrick is still alive and performing.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #43 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:34 pm »
I'm a little surprised that you guys didn't mention James Spaulding or Lanny Morgan.

Notice I've changed my avatar to the cunning duck, the sworn enemy of jazz.

mjosef

« Reply #44 on: 7 Jun 2011, 08:40 pm »
Here is just one, whom so happens to be still alive and kicking...and still creating...

Henry Threadgill. Hopefully I will be catching him with his current group Zooid at the Jazz Gallery later this month.

Air - Buddy Bolden's Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlYqwZfeOw&feature=related

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #45 on: 8 Jun 2011, 06:55 pm »
Here's something you might like. Give a listen:

http://www.speetones.com/

jimdgoulding

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm »
That's very nice.  I know I've owned albums with James Spaulding on them and may run across one yet. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm »
I spent the money and ordered Joe Harriott's Free Form.  As I type, I'm listening to a CD by Ken Vandermark's Joe Harriott Project that I've owned for some time.  These are four pretty young guys from Chicago and they are a superbly tight group.  When you go pianoless you've gotta be tight and their bass player and drummer keep things really moving.  All compositions are by Marriott and the sound is real nice, too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #48 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:19 pm »
That's very nice.  I know I've owned albums with James Spaulding on them and may run across one yet.
Hey Jim, check > THIS < out.
That might help.  :wink:

Great website.
Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm »
Thanks, Bob, that is a new site for me.  I thinkin it must have been with Hubbard.  But, I know it's been more times than one.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #50 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:42 pm »
Nice. I always liked the sound of a bari -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMw5zHKn86A&feature=related

I have a James Spaulding album from '88 called Brilliant Corners. w/Wallace Roney, Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter and Kenny Washington. Muse MR5369
On his site they have a discography. Corners is consistently good, imo.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #51 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm »
Oh, that is fine as wine, Neo.  Nice compostion and instrumentation.  And playing!  Might have to get me one of those.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #52 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:09 am »
I never heard of Vandermark before you mentioned him. Thanks. Kids like that are the future. I just google the name or plug it in to the tube search.
Spaulding's web site is the best I've seen. Guess I haven't seen all that many. I'm going to spin that record.
See ya later,
neo

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #53 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:58 am »
One of my favorites sax tones are the famous Touch album by John Klemmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sSYTkl2_Yg
Sorry not found a better video.

Seems this is a full version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOVCY5lELU

jimdgoulding

« Reply #54 on: 9 Jun 2011, 02:24 am »
Full Range Man-  Welcome to a jazz discussion.  I've been listening to more of that Michael Garrick CD.  Joe's contribution is very nice.  Lyrical and witty.  The whole band is pretty cool.  Ian Carr on trumpet is substituting for Shake Keane, Harriott's normal sideman, and that's got me spinnin one by his group, Nucleus, in a few minutes.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #55 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm »
FRM,
Here's John's web site. You can download free videos.
http://johnklemmer.com/index-sound.html

I don't know if he ever played alto. It doesn't bother me. I'm sure it doesn't bother you.

I like Garrick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfdwM1hKLg

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #56 on: 9 Jun 2011, 03:41 pm »
Jim: Thanks for welcome. :thumb:

Dear Neobop,
In the 80 years I had the LP ''Life Style''(which seems a very surupy, romantic, sweetie aldum) where Klemmer plays alto sax.
According AllMusic Klemmer plays tenor, alto, soprano, flute, keyboards, kalimba, vocals.
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-klemmer-p6901

jjc1

« Reply #57 on: 9 Jun 2011, 03:48 pm »
Paul Desmond, second only to Bird.
  Desmond is second to no one!

richidoo

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jun 2011, 04:04 pm »
  Desmond is second to no one!

RightonRighton! But Paul would disagree... ;)

My favorite Desmond solo is "The Song is You" on Jazz Goes to College. 
Short sample before he gets cookin.

What's your favorite Desmond solo jjc1?

jjc1

« Reply #59 on: 9 Jun 2011, 04:18 pm »
RightonRighton! But Paul would disagree... ;)

My favorite Desmond solo is "The Song is You" on Jazz Goes to College. 
Short sample before he gets cookin.

What's your favorite Desmond solo jjc1?
  Almost any of them. Love "Stardust"..Jazz at Oberlin... The solo on Blue Rondo from Time Out album is always a favorite. I have 3 LPs (still have my original from 1959 (woops..showing my age) and it sounds better than any including the 180 gram), 2cd's (one is hdcd) and an SACD. I use it a lot for testing. I've only listened to it about 4000 times.