What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!

Starchild

Asimov

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #15242 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:57 pm »

Pat Martino - Undeniable

Asimov

« Reply #15243 on: 24 Apr 2016, 04:55 pm »

Junior Mance - Nadja

jrobinson

« Reply #15244 on: 24 Apr 2016, 05:14 pm »

Bill Bruford - If Summer Had Its Ghosts

Starchild

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15246 on: 24 Apr 2016, 08:15 pm »

Bill Bruford - If Summer Had Its Ghosts
This looks intriguing to me having some familiarity with the players' other works i.e. Corea's "Three Quartets" with Gomez just playing his ass off and well recorded and Bruford's "Feels Good to Me" and Towner from his ECM days.  Ya'll should just flat out order those immediately.

Starchild

Starchild

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15249 on: 24 Apr 2016, 11:09 pm »

Samples: Cal Tjader Quartet - Jazz at the Blackhawk
Damn, son, you must be old as me.  I was listening to Tjader in jr. high.  Caught George Shearing at The Blackhawk not long before it closed.  Reckon I was 18 with a fake ID.  Just missed Miles who recorded there before or after.  The Jazz Workshop then became the place in SF for, you guessed it, jazz in the late 60's, early 70's.  Saw Sun Ra, Cannonball Adderley, Chico Hamilton with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo, John Handy's most excellent quintet (featuring violinist Mike White), Yusef Lateef, and The Albert Manglesdorf Quintet some years later with the advent of the "avant garde" movement and John Coltrane's famous quartet numerous times.  Dolphy was with him once.  One special treat more recently was Meredith Monk at Seventh Ave South in downtown New York with a chorus.  Alas, these days, my ticket to admission is my beloved system.  Bill Evan's "Live at The Village Vanguard" is spinning as I type and it's an oooh sooo fine recording.  Cheers.

Starchild

Starchild

« Reply #15251 on: 24 Apr 2016, 11:15 pm »
Damn, son, you must be old as me.  I was listening to Tjader in jr. high.  Caught George Shearing at The Blackhawk not long before it closed.  Reckon I was 18 with a fake ID.  Just missed Miles who recorded there before or after.  The Jazz Workshop then became the place in SF for, you guessed it, jazz in the late 60's, early 70's.  Saw Sun Ra, Cannonball Adderley, Chico Hamilton with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo, John Handy's most excellent quintet (featuring violinist Mike White), Yusef Lateef, and The Albert Manglesdorf Quintet some years later with the advent of the "avant garde" movement and John Coltrane's famous quartet numerous times.  Dolphy was with him once.  One special treat more recently was Meredith Monk at Seventh Ave South in downtown New York with a chorus.  Alas, these days, my ticket to admission is my beloved system.  Bill Evan's "Live at The Village Vanguard" is spinning as I type.  Cheers.

I'm not old enough to have been enjoying live jazz in the '50's and '60's but I enjoy music from that perdiod.  I suispect you got me by a few years but music like this transcends generations.

Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15252 on: 24 Apr 2016, 11:45 pm »
Jes wanna emphasize to you lovers of fine music and the exceptional recording of it that the Bill Evan's recording I cited above . . should be a part of your listening repertoire.  It is just fabulous:

Starchild

Asimov

« Reply #15254 on: 25 Apr 2016, 01:34 am »

Anjani - Blue Alert

Thanks Starchild for remind me about this album, listening after a long while.

Starchild

Starchild

Starchild

Starchild

Starchild