Salk SongTower RT's for sale on Audiogon...

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Salk SongTower RT's for sale on Audiogon...
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2009, 11:05 pm »
From DMurphy
DMurphy
Although it would be nice to get some candid feedback on the reason for the sale--particularly if it's related to crossover issues.  I certainly want to know why a design isn't working for someone.

My experience in high-end audio has been a short one. So please forgive my apprenticed desciptions.  In the last 6 months I have moved from a pair of Monitor Audio BR5s to PMC GB1s then onto ST RTs.  The Song Towers are a special speaker IMO.  The detail of the midrange is exceptional in my comparision to other speakers, which is due to the exceptional crossover design.  What I have learned is most of the musical energy is in the midrange.  And the RT upgrade adds the air that I enjoy in a good system.  I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to own and live with one of hottest speakers on the market today, for good reason. 

I have listened to many speakers in the last 6 months.  Sonus Faber, Verity, Paradigm, Usher BE718, Esoteric MG-10, Dynaudio C1, B&W 683; 802, Dali Helicon and Revel.  None of these speakers were a fit for me before I purchased the SongTowers.  And when they arrived I was a happy man.  What I noticed after 2 months was the lack of low frequency.  That said the STs are the best $1800 I have heard.  I chose the RT upgrade so my pair was a little more than $1800, but things equal when discussing the bass issue, its an $1800 speaker.  I had the opportunity to listen to the STs next to a few other mfg speakers and my conclusion was, for me, to step up to a 3 way speaker.

If you know my story, I have been taking steps up the ladder and I will continue to take these steps.  For now the next step has to be a larger room, which will not happen for a few years.  I considered the HT3 but I ended up with a 3 way with a small footprint that I can get up into my listening attic (tough access for anything over 70lbs).  So I will always be a Salk fanboy and when I have a bigger room I will audition a pair of HT3s or HT3as.

Kirk

Hi Kirk   I didn't mean to pressure you into a public response--sorry if I did.  I was speaking in more general terms about how I hope sellers will give us some feedback in some way.  But I'm glad to hear you still enjoyed the ST's while you had them. 

K Shep

« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2009, 11:30 pm »
No pressure felt Dennis.  I have been apprehensive to post my thoughts about the SongTowers.  I have become friends with a few of the devoted Salk owners here and this is a great opening to share my experience.  I hope my feedback helps. 

Kirk

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2009, 01:04 am »
No need to be apprehensive, Kirk.  We know that the ST's F3 is 42hz.  I upgraded from the ST RT to the HT2-TL because, like you, I wanted more low end extension. I think that all your friends on the Salk circle are happy that you like your Revels.

K Shep

« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2009, 10:42 pm »
Thank you pipe,

My experience with Salk Sound has been a complete pleasure.  This thread was create to share your involvement with Salk.  I didn't want to cast any negative feeling towards the products.  If anything my time with the SongTowers taught me how to be a better listener.  It made it easy, because the speaker was so transparent in my system I could truly hear things I hadn't in the past.  I am a big fan of Salk products.

Kirk