Mch-k38 compared to MCX

sresener

Mch-k38 compared to MCX
« on: 25 Jan 2019, 06:28 pm »
Hey everyone I have a question. Does anyone know how the MCX series Compares to the MCH-k38 for sound quality.
Im asking because I absolutely love the sound of my MCH-K38 but It really doesn't have the bottom end punch that I know is out there. I only run two channel bridged on my MCH-K38

If I run my old emotiva amp it really can make my mains hit hard, everything else is horrible but that amp sure has nice bass impact. So if a pair of MCX-1's would sound as good or better than my mch-k38 with more bottom end I would be very motivated to buying a pair.

Im talking about nice hit you in the chest bass not super low rattle everything bass.

My current mains are a pair of kef r900's

One last thing should  I suck it up and start considering a pair of evolution one's

Thanks in advance.

kevb

Re: Mch-k38 compared to MCX
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2019, 10:16 pm »
I have an MCX-4 coming early next week.  I don't have a K38, but I do have an STA-9 and an IDA-16.

So I will be able to give an answer about bass response shortly.   :thumb:

Samoyed

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2019, 12:05 am »
Hey everyone I have a question. Does anyone know how the MCX series Compares to the MCH-k38 for sound quality.
Im asking because I absolutely love the sound of my MCH-K38 but It really doesn't have the bottom end punch that I know is out there. I only run two channel bridged on my MCH-K38

If I run my old emotiva amp it really can make my mains hit hard, everything else is horrible but that amp sure has nice bass impact. So if a pair of MCX-1's would sound as good or better than my mch-k38 with more bottom end I would be very motivated to buying a pair.

Im talking about nice hit you in the chest bass not super low rattle everything bass.

I vote for the Evo ones. I have the Evo DAC and I’m saving up....  Nuprime has a wonderful sound with my kef 900s.

My current mains are a pair of kef r900's

One last thing should  I suck it up and start considering a pair of evolution one's

Thanks in advance.

Samac

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2019, 01:01 am »
I have an MCX-4 coming early next week.  I don't have a K38, but I do have an STA-9 and an IDA-16.

So I will be able to give an answer about bass response shortly.   :thumb:

Really looking forward to your impressions, kevb. I absolutely love my IDA-16 and I'm very interested how the MCX line stacks up.

What's the rest of your system? Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott

Tsmith

• Upgraditus is a real disease
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2019, 02:32 pm »
Have you considered bi-amping?

I have a K38 that I bridge down to a 4 channel amp to bi-amp my Martin Logan Motion 60’s and think it def tightened up the low end. I don’t think it increased the low end but it does sound cleaner.

I was previously bi-wiring

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2019, 07:53 pm »

Thanks in advance.

Obvious answer, is that if the budget can hold a pair of Evolutions, of course that would be the ideal path.

I know I can "sometimes" take NuPRIME gear in on trade to help defray the costs, so contact us, or your dealer to explore the possibilities.

kevb

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2019, 08:16 pm »
Really looking forward to your impressions, kevb. I absolutely love my IDA-16 and I'm very interested how the MCX line stacks up.

What's the rest of your system? Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott,

My system(s) consist of 2 purpose built music server/streamer PC's running Daphile.  I have a DAC-9, DAC-10, IDA-8, IDA-16, STA-9, and soon to be MCX-4.  I also have bridged Crown XLS-2500 pro amps.  Speakers include the Equation 15's, Atohm GT-1 SE, Polk LSiM 707, Enigma Acoustiques MTM ($1100 in driver cost), Tannoy Arden, etc....

Next up is hopefully the Evolution DAC.

Yes, I need help.   :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2019, 10:46 pm by kevb »

Samoyed

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2019, 08:19 pm »
If you mean the Evolution DAC, you’ll be floored. I had a 10, and there is NO comparison. If you have questions, send me a pm. I’m waiting on a hard to get Innuos zen mini to evaluate the mqa function. I was outta the game for 20 years and things changed....

kevb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm »
If you mean the Evolution DAC, you’ll be floored. I had a 10, and there is NO comparison. If you have questions, send me a pm. I’m waiting on a hard to get Innuos zen mini to evaluate the mqa function. I was outta the game for 20 years and things changed....

That's why I hate posting from a phone.  It wants to tell me what I thinks I should write!

I am sooo torn.  It's a big stretch on the budget, but it sounds like it will be the holy grail of digital for me.  I probably will have a few Q's before I take the plunge.  Eventually I want to pair it up with the Evo Ones.  Simplify down to 2 systems from 5.   :duh:

Samac

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2019, 11:38 pm »
Hi Scott,

My system(s) consist of 2 purpose built music server/streamer PC's running Daphile.  I have a DAC-9, DAC-10, IDA-8, IDA-16, STA-9, and soon to be MCX-4.  I also have bridged Crown XLS-2500 pro amps.  Speakers include the Equation 15's, Atohm GT-1 SE, Polk LSiM 707, Enigma Acoustiques MTM ($1100 in driver cost), Tannoy Arden, etc....

Next up is hopefully the Evolution DAC.

Yes, I need help.   :lol: :lol:

You've have a great collection of gear. I'm sure the Evo DAC is outstanding. NuPrime has really paid attention to the power supply. I hope for continued success for them. They really are making some great equipment.

We all need help in this crazy pursuit of beautiful music. :D

Cheers,

Scott

kevb

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2019, 01:48 am »
You've have a great collection of gear. I'm sure the Evo DAC is outstanding. NuPrime has really paid attention to the power supply. I hope for continued success for them. They really are making some great equipment.

We all need help in this crazy pursuit of beautiful music. :D

Cheers,

Scott

Thank you Scott!  I will be moving in about 6 months to a smaller place, so I am hoping to be able to have a much higher quality system instead of a number of very good systems.  Downsizing will be a very interesting exercise...  :lol:

sresener

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:06 pm »
Obvious answer, is that if the budget can hold a pair of Evolutions, of course that would be the ideal path.

I know I can "sometimes" take NuPRIME gear in on trade to help defray the costs, so contact us, or your dealer to explore the possibilities.

Budgets can always be stretched, I just wonder if my equiptment would take advantage of the evo's. I don't mind making one purchase instead of small upgrades that eventually get me there.

Right now im playing my hi-res music through my sony ubp-x800, Im using a onkyo txrz-1100 as a preamp and a pair of kef r900's as my mains.

Samoyed

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:34 pm »
I have kef r900s, with an Evolution DAC and cdt 8 pro. I’m doing everything I can to get the Evolution ones. Yes, I think Nuprime is THAT good.

sresener

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:05 pm »
I have kef r900s, with an Evolution DAC and cdt 8 pro. I’m doing everything I can to get the Evolution ones. Yes, I think Nuprime is THAT good.

What amp are you using in your system

Samoyed

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:34 pm »
Two: Rotel RB 1590, with amazing soundstage and an integrated, Kinki ex M1, with lush sound.

alexreusch

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:46 pm »
If you want to step up from the MCH-K38, than I would suggest you the Evolution One Monoblocks. This is a real upgrade. I own both, MCH-K38 and the Evo One Mono. I started with the MCH-K38 in a 5 channel setup, where the front speakers were in bridged mode. I then upgraded the two fronts with the Evo One Mono and I am using now the MCH-K38 for center and surround channels. The Evo One Mono is some levels up, especially when listening to music (2-channel stereo). I really doubt that the MCX series can improve on the MCH-K38 (maybe it is using same/similar components and partial same design as the MCH-K38???).

sresener

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2019, 03:27 pm »
If you want to step up from the MCH-K38, than I would suggest you the Evolution One Monoblocks. This is a real upgrade. I own both, MCH-K38 and the Evo One Mono. I started with the MCH-K38 in a 5 channel setup, where the front speakers were in bridged mode. I then upgraded the two fronts with the Evo One Mono and I am using now the MCH-K38 for center and surround channels. The Evo One Mono is some levels up, especially when listening to music (2-channel stereo). I really doubt that the MCX series can improve on the MCH-K38 (maybe it is using same/similar components and partial same design as the MCH-K38???).

What was the biggest difference you noticed with the evo over the mch-k38?

I also wanted to try bi-amping my mains running the mch-k38 4 channel bridged but I wanted to actively cross over the mch-k38 for the mids and highs. Anyone try somthing similar?

alexreusch

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:12 pm »

What was the biggest difference you noticed with the evo over the mch-k38?

I also wanted to try bi-amping my mains running the mch-k38 4 channel bridged but I wanted to actively cross over the mch-k38 for the mids and highs. Anyone try somthing similar?

The Evo One is simply a class of its own. It plays in a complete different league, at least two levels above the MCH-K38 from a musicality standpoint. It is hard to explain... it is very sovereign! I think it is really hard to top the Evo One Monos from an audiophile standpoint. And yes, this applies also for the base.

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2019, 07:24 pm »
I think it is really hard to top the Evo One Monos from an audiophile standpoint. And yes, this applies also for the base.

We have the same thinking since NuFprce Ref 9V3SE. Every time something came out and we thought, wow, it is going to be hard to top this. And then our genius chief engineer keeps coming out with surprises.  Yes, it is getting harder.

kevb

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2019, 11:26 pm »
I have an update.  The MCX series is one damn fine sounding amp.  I bought the MCX-4.  Jason is right, just buy it, you won't be disappointed.

There is plenty of slamming, impactful, tuneful bass compared to my IDA-8, STA-9, and IDA-16, and frankly compared to any amp I have had.  It has taken control of my Polk Audio LSiM-707's woofers.  I don't want to overstep any boundaries here, so I will stick to the OP's question on bass.