Any experience with Super 3HOXRS and Decware

slefley

Any experience with Super 3HOXRS and Decware
« on: 15 Dec 2018, 04:49 pm »
I had a pair of Super 3i's and really liked them except with my system and room they sounded too 'thin' - really nice highs but not enough weight in the midrange and below.  Is anyone able to comment on how the Super 3HOXRS work with the Decware UFO2 amp?  I know the lowest bass is missing, but does the larger cabinet and 2nd driver add weight or body to the midrange to maintain the beautiful imaging while supporting a deeper/wider soundstage?  Or do you think I'd have a better match with something like the Super Alnico Monitor?

pursuitofnow

Re: Any experience with Super 3HOXRS and Decware
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2018, 06:13 pm »
I have the super 3hoxrs paired up with an se84ufo in a 19' x 14' room. I'm using the amp and speakers for music and tv and it works great. I was worried about bass as well before ordering but the lure of speed and transparency led me to trying these speakers first. I should add that I do use the deephemp 8 sub for below 100hz support. For tv duties the sub is a must in my opinion, but not necessary at all for music. The super 3hoxrs put out way more bass than the tiny drivers suggest.

For what it's worth I find that the decware amps like to see a lot of voltage. So the more you feed it the more fuller, denser, solid the sound.

I can't speak to if the super alnico monitor would be a better match but I can say that the super 3hoxrs work great in my system and room and I don't feel like I missing any mid bass.

Doodlebum

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2018, 06:15 pm »
I don't know about the Super 3i but I do have a UFO2 with junior8XRS that's just perfect. I'd rather have something that goes below 40 and never need or want to use a sub, YMMV.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2018, 04:37 am »
I've found that it is really easy to over damp Omegas. The little Decware likely has little or no damping factor which can translate to more fullness. I think this is key for the RS5 based Omegas especially if no subwoofer will be used. I would imagine the 3HO to have more range and go louder with less distortion. You might consider the Omega CAMs too.

jmolsberg

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2018, 02:16 pm »
like pursuitofnow i use the se84ufo with 3XRS HO. they put out more bass than they should. more importantly they sound great and no sub needed!

slefley

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2018, 02:23 pm »
Thank you for your comments.  I believe I'll give the 3XRS HO a try.

jmolsberg

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2018, 12:16 am »
But do give Louis a buzz.