Evo Dac Settings

Eugenio_Fen

Evo Dac Settings
« on: 12 Aug 2022, 09:59 am »
I have owned an Evo dac for a few weeks, it is an extraordinary device, I am very satisfied. I noticed that there are several setting possibilities. First of all there are 7 filters. Does anyone know the definition of each and how they work? It is difficult to find differences by ear. Nothing is indicated in the instruction manual, only the names of the filters.
Second Question: How did you set the sample rate? Should you change it? Mine is set to 192 K. Did anyone find higher settings convenient?.
(I noticed that to avoid micro interruptions with the optical cable connection with my LG smart TV, it is necessary to have an upsampling of at least 48k.)
The filters are: Minimum Phase Fast, Minimum Phase Slow, Liner Phase Fast, Apodizing Fast, Hybrid Fast, Brickwall.

rustydoglim

Re: Evo Dac Settings
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2022, 05:47 pm »
The DSP filter feature came from the ESS chip, it doesn't make any difference in the sound qualify, just ignore it and use the default setting.

To change the sample rate, you have to enter the menu setup, see page 9 of the manual.

giordy60

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2022, 02:42 pm »
The DSP filter feature came from the ESS chip, it doesn't make any difference in the sound qualify, just ignore it and use the default setting.

Jason
I was expecting a more comprehensive answer...... :scratch:

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2022, 07:46 am »
Here's a comprehensive answer (really):
The filter was available in the ESS9038 chip, so we exposed the setting. After it was implemented, we started trying out the settings (we couldn't have tested it as a chip since it is not relevant until the chip is implemented as a DAC product). And then we can't find any benefit for audio. The filter must be for DSP-related applications which really doesn't benefit the sound (we had to try anyway).
So, here's your full story, they are useless settings as far as audio listening is concerned.

giordy60

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2022, 08:17 am »
they are useless settings as far as audio listening is concerned.

so all the specifications that the manufacturer (ESS) reports in the datasheet are to be considered useless and irrelevant on the sound?
(I refer to those indicated from page 51 to page 55)

https://www.mouser.it/datasheet/2/1082/ES9038PRO_Datasheet_v3_7-2933558.pdf

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2022, 02:49 pm »
Well, we don't find them useful at all. Has anyone heard of other DACs using these filters?

giordy60

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2022, 04:03 pm »
Well, we don't find them useful at all. .....
well ..... you can remove the specifications from the manual then .... if they have no use .... the user will have fewer problems setting the evo dac  :wink: