XLR plug order

Juan R

XLR plug order
« on: 23 Apr 2004, 11:31 am »
I have the Ampzilla 2000 and the XLR input selection is #1 ground ,#2 +, #3-. I wonder If someone know the order of the Kora Eclipse pre, I looked over the website but no info about that.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
XLR plug order
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:06 pm »
Juan,

I would just send an e-mail to Kora:

kora@wanadoo.fr

It might take a few days, but they will respond.

George

Juan R

XLR plug order
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 09:50 pm »
I did, like five times over the last 2 months without answer.

Robert C. Schult

XLR plug order
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2004, 12:59 am »
Hi Juan.

Here's the deal as best as I can help. There are two connection standards for Audio Balanced XLR connections; AES and EIA. Most home audio products are AES so, good chances are that your Kora unit is AES. Otherwise, I would certainly think they would make specific mention of an EIA connection because it's out of the norm.

Regardless, you won't hurt any thing by using a wire that's AES terminated with gear that has EIA inputs and/or outputs. That's because Pin Configuration for AES is: Pin 1 = Ground/Pin 2 = +Signal/Pin 3 = -Signal. EIA is: Pin 1 = Ground/Pin 2 = -Signal/Pin 3 = +Signal. So all that's happening is a polarity reversal between the two signal conductors when used with EIA out and AES in.

Hopefully you have a polarity reversing switch somewhere in the chain (usually on the pre-amp if there's going to be one) to account for not only the pin out on the gear but also for the possibility of recordings, and/or the number of gain stages inside of each of your electronics that can reverse the signal polarity from positive going. If you don't have a switch but would like to have a means for switching polarity, we offer a neat little gadget to facilitate switching.  There's a post of it in the Market Square at; http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8002.msg68321#68321&highlight=#68321

Hope this isn't too confusing. If I'm not making sense, I usually suggest to just give up audio and get in to extracting deer urine. At the least, it's a more predictable hobby and I understand you can make some decent money at it. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/91680.html and follow the rest of the thread. :o

Juan R

XLR plug order
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2004, 10:12 pm »
Thank you for the info, and about the deer urine, no thanks.I have plenty.