Monitors to use with Panasonic XR50?

JDUBS

« on: 18 Jun 2004, 04:03 am »
Hey Everyone

I'm currently using a Panasonic XR50 with Polk Rti28 monitors (computer setup....USB to M-Audio Sonica to the Panasonic to the Polk's).

Anyway, this setup is waaay too harsh sounding.

Any recommendations for some good but fairly cheap (<$300) monitor speakers to use with this digital receiver?

-Jim

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2004, 07:23 am »
Before you sell them off, ever consider this?

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=RTi28.html

You could use the money you saved to buy a new e-mu 1212m or something.

Rocket

murhyblaster xover
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2004, 07:47 am »
Hi Jim,

Dennis Murphy has a very good reputation as a skilled diy speaker designer.  In fact if i remember correctly he designed the famed ellis audio speakers.

You are lucky that he has redesigned the polk xover already.

Most speakers in your price range won't have well designed xovers.

Good luck with your decision.

regards

rocket

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2004, 08:52 pm »
Dennis really likes those speakers.  I was hoping to see them on Audiogon for cheap...I don't know if they are efficient enough to work with my cheap Sharp digital system but they'd be perfect for my basement (with the upgraded crossovers) on the Panny...

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2004, 09:32 pm »
Yeah,  I was about to say, "Those speakers suck nuts!  However, I need a cheap system for my guest room, wanna sell them to me for a song?"  :P

BenF

RTi28 and XR45 here
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2004, 09:51 pm »
I use these speakers with the XR45 and the Sharp SD-SG11. I got two pair when Crutchfield closed them out, since I needed a low cost replacement for some very old speakers, plus another pair. I still haven't gotten around to buying the Dennis Murphy crossover parts and redoing them, but I will someday when I get time (sigh).

I don't find them too harsh from either of these digital amps. But that may be personal taste in sound. However, they do have a high frequency rise. Have you tried trimming back the treble by 1 - 2 dbs? The Panasonics do this at 20Khz which may soften it a bit. Also, these amps take a while to burn in  - like a couple of months of continuous playing. It does make things sound better. If you haven't had the XR50 that long, you probably haven't yet heard what it can do.

I do like the Polks, for what they are. They disappear more than draw attention to themselves. A sub would be nice to add. I hope to move up to better stuff someday, maybe some Europas? Got to move up in steps and keep the $ low.

Hope you find great sound soon!

Ben

rha61

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2004, 11:37 pm »
and don't forget the power cord !!!

i built one , i only twisted 2  CAT5e cables for try ,  the shield is connected to the ground ( wall side ) , my length is 2m
you have then many possibility :
for example one polarity per cable , or two for each pair of strand , the acoustic result is not the same on the Panny
i prefer one polarity per cable
the Panny(45 in my case ) with it is simply amazing , smooth presentation
price=10€

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2004, 02:35 am »
Everyone

Thanks for the replies.  I had heard about the Murphy crossover mods and that would be a great route to go....unfortunately I'm not very handy with a soldering iron....anyone want to help me out for some $$??  :D

Anyway, I DO need to let this setup burn in more.  I haven't used it that much at all.  I got the speakers for $140 from someone locally and I'd really like them to work out.

By the way, running USB out to the m-audio sonica is definitely the way to go for all you computer users.  You eliminate jitter using such a USB->Digital converter (at least from the computer to the converter).  My sonica then runs via an optical cable into the Panasonic.  I'm using HD-14 for speaker cabling and studiotech speaker stands.

Thanks again.

-Jim

ooheadsoo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2004, 07:19 am »
I've heard from many people now that the digital out on the emu cards are real monsters.  From second hand info, I heard that the guys over at empirical audio said that it rivaled digital outs that they saw on $$$$ cd players.  Definitely would be something to look into with the money that you save.  The crossover soldering shouldn't be too hard either.  With a tutorial or two from online and maybe an email or so fired off to Dennis, you may be able to build up enough confidence to give it a shot.