Axiom M80ti questions

Chuck

Axiom M80ti questions
« on: 1 Jun 2004, 03:45 pm »
Does anyone have experience with these speakers?  I know they are not audiophile speakers but Axiom has a good reputation with inexpensive speakers.

I am auditioning a new pair and only have a short time to decide wether or not to keep them.  I have had Axiom M3ti's for three years now and find them very musical for "cheap" speakers.  

The M80ti's don't seem nearly as open and 3-dimensional and detailed as their two-way counterparts do.  I am using inexpensive ss on the M3's in a bedroom and find it surprisingly musical.  

I am using a low powered tube amp (Cayin TA-30) 30 watts per channel on the M80's.  The M80's are rated reasonably efficient and achieve comfortable listening levels at only about 1/4 turn on the volume.  Maybe these speakers are better suited to solid-state amplification?  Or maybe they require a lengthy break-in?

I appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with the M80's or maybe advice on a good full-range floorstander under $1,600. USD that will mate well with my low-powered tube amp.  

The system will be 80 percent music but occasionally be used for home theater (stereo only - not surround).  My musical interests are a little quirky:  I like 60-70's rock, British Invasion, some alt-rock, indie artists, folk, pop, occasional opera, jazz, classical, Gregorian chant, etc.  Trying to broaden my horizons.  Led Zep is probably my all-time favorite.  My listening room is 18x22x8, carpeted, no other treatments and opens into a dining room of similar size (lots of windows on long wall).  I really want a speaker that has tight clean bass down to at least the mid 30's (hz) for impact in home theater without having to integrate a sub.  It must be reasonably tight and articulate for music though.

Thank you for any help/opinions/experiences you can share regarding the M80ti or a possible alternative.

StevenACNJ

Axiom M80ti questions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2004, 06:01 pm »
A few years ago when I first got into HT I purchased a complete Axiom speaker system - M60's front, VP150 center, QS8's rears, & a sub.

They are decent speakers for the money. The metal drivers finally got to me. The crossover component quality is pretty bad too - almost toy like.

If you have some money & are prone to upgrading (like me), you might as well just go for a better quality speaker now - something you will keep for a while.

My 2 cents

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Axiom M80ti questions
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:42 pm »
I love my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s, had them for 3 years now.  I've used them for both audio and HT with a VTF-2 sub that Ascend offers with them.  Very high content value, but not much to look at.  I have no compliants about the VTF-2, but they're overmatched by the Ascends.  For $329/pair they stomp anything I've heard under $1,000.  They image like crazy and are so musical (it's like they add color on top of the pencil sketches other speakers provide)!  IMO they're really too good for HT.

They've been well reviewed in Good Sound and Soundstage.

chino

Axiom M80ti questions
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2004, 02:09 am »
I have the M80Ti speakers for about 4mths now and so far Im satisfied with it. Im using it just for 2 ch music. I dont use a sub as for me the bass is low/good enough for my music needs. Hooked them up with Odyssey Stratos poweramp. I like all kinds of music too and the everything sounds good to me thru the Axioms. Im not an 'audiophile' and I dont have the luxury of owning and auditioning a lot of speakers but they sound close to what I wanted back then: B&W CDM7NT but about $1000 less. Wish I knew audiocircle back then too  :mrgreen: theres so many choices here. My room is almost as big as yours but with a window and a closed door. Just play around with speaker placement while you have them coz I heard from others its not very placement friendly plus it takes a while to let them break-in. There's 6 drivers mind you  :) Efficient or not, speakers that have that much of drivers would appreciate more power. Music that I listen to most: Sara K, Victor Wooten, Depeche Mode, Four80East, Zero7, St. Germain, Telefon Tel-Aviv, Tortoise, Santana,  etc. Very musical indeed whenever I listens to Wooten  :D but thats just me. No upgradetitus feeling yet  :wink:

Chuck

Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2004, 12:31 pm »
Thanks for the help.  In the end, my wife has helped me decide.  I think I was trying to attain too much; the impact and weight of a full-range speaker in a small cabinet, imaging and soundstaging of a good bookshelf design, good looking cabinet, inexpensive, etc.  A recipe for disappointment I think.

From researching I think the highest values in audio right now are simple two-way bookshelf designs.  I think I will start a new post seeking opinions on good "bookshelf" speakers.  

I was leaning towards smaller speakers from the beginning but have never had luck integrating subwoofers and still crave a little depth and impact in my music.  I think the judicious use of bass in music can add a sense of drama or emotion.

Thanks again for your responses.  The search continues...

StevenACNJ

Axiom M80ti questions
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2004, 02:06 pm »
Tyler Acoustics makes a very nice 2-way speaker - Taylo Reference Monitor. Rave reviews at Audioreview.com. They can be had off of AudioGon at a reasonable price.

Ty @ Tyler also sells them used with warranty from his website. The speakers will come to you in like new condition. Ty is also a very nice guy and customer service is second to none.