Selling on Audiogon. How does it work?

BeeBop

« on: 17 May 2004, 04:28 pm »
I am getting ready to sell something on Audiogon for the first time. Can somebody fill me in on the standard drill? Do you get payment before shipping, or do you ship and then get payment? Frankly, I would be reluctant to ship without payment but I have an overseas interested party asking me to ship, and if they like the item, then they will pay.

Any other tips on strategy, etc. much appreciated.

sleepkyng

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2004, 04:34 pm »
generally it's up to you
but i NEVER send before payment.

if they don't like it, tough luck
buyer has to agree with YOUR terms. the ad is a contract that they hafta abide by.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2004, 04:39 pm »
Always and I mean always get payment before shipping.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2004, 01:57 am »
It's funny how these things change...

When I first started buying/selling nobody paid up front and most of the transactions were COD.  This put the seller at risk.

Now, nobody ships anything without payment first.  This puts the buyer at risk.

Wonder what it will be like in the next few years.

BTW, I have completed over 80 trades on Audiogon and just have had one good experience after another.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2004, 02:19 am »
It'd be nice to think you could trust someone like that, but I strongly recommend you get payment first.  If it's someone you know or have had dealings with online for a long time, then maybe you might consider doing it.  But that's pretty risky for a stranger.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2004, 02:27 am »
I wasn't suggesting that he should send before receiving payment.  I was merely pointing out that it used to be done differently.

For years I have used the model of payment first.

We all say this must be done to be safe.  This is safe for the seller, but it obviously puts the buyer at risk.  Luckily I have never had an issue, but what happens if that seller doesn't ship?

Outside of using a neutral third party, the safest way for both sides is to send COD and have the buyer pay the shipping charges up front (in case they don't accept the COD).

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Selling on Audiogon. How does it work?
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2004, 02:48 am »
Quote from: BeeBop
Frankly, I would be reluctant to ship without payment but I have an overseas interested party asking me to ship, and if they like the item, then they will pay.
An overseas party....mmmm, better get your money first ! What about those scams I've read about, sending a check for more than the price of the item and other "warning signs" ??

datman

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2004, 03:17 am »
I have had great success in using Audiogon for several years.  I usually try to establish telephone contact with the buyer to feel them out.  This allows you to spot the real flakes.  If they won't call you or give you their telephone number, BEWARE!  They are hiding something.  

I do agree with the other posts.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get your money up front.  If the buyer really wants something, this should not be a problem. COD is a last resort, only to be used when you have not had action on something you REALLY want to sell.

As far as the buyer goes, that is what feedback is for.  I have yet to have a problem with a seller OR buyer with excellent feedback.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2004, 04:40 am »
You make a good point, Zybar.  I wasn't so much arguing that as agreeing that in the case of an overseas buyer I'd be really leery of sending before I got the money.  If you get shafted you likely will have no recourse.

The way I look at it, the risk is almost always higher for the seller, as most items you sell will be sold for a fraction of what you actually paid new.  Therefore, if I ship & get no payment I'm well & truly screwed, as I'm out my gear and can't buy another for the price.  Of course, there's always a risk involved, though.

The safest way would be escrow, but I really don't know how you'd arrange that for an overseas buyer.  In this case, he sounds like he wants to "kick the tires" for awhile before paying.  I'd never be cool with that.  At best I might offer to allow a return if he didn't like it.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2004, 04:50 am »
Escrow works for overseas buyers -- at least, it did when I bought a pair of speakers one time (I won't say from whom... :roll: ) There is, however, a cost, which (IMHO) the buyer should bear.

Frankly, it does sound like the guy is trying to pull a fast one.

BeeBop

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2004, 10:08 am »
Thanks all. This is an experienced bunch; when you say payment up front, then that's the way it is going to be.

Bryan

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2004, 06:47 pm »
I would think it would be similar to eBay. Payment, including shipping, up front. If the buyer doesn't pay before a certain time the item goes back up for sale.

Tonto Yoder

Re: Selling on Audiogon. How does it work?
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2004, 08:23 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Frankly, I would be reluctant to ship without payment but I have an overseas interested party asking me to ship, and if they like the item, then they will pay.
An overseas party....mmmm, better get your money first ! What about those scams I've read about, sending a check for more than the price of the item and other "warning signs" ??

Is Nigeria overseas???  :lol:
The buyer sending $$ first is the norm--kinda scary on the buyer's part, but that seems to be the accepted process now.
When I first tried selling some speakers, a buyer did ask for shipment before payment and I agreed (they were old Sansui's that someone had given me, so I figured I wouldn't be out TOO much if things went badly). Turned out OK, but that isn't the normal way of doing things.

Does the Audiogon buyer have good feedback established already???

nathanm

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2004, 10:45 pm »

:o You could e-mail the guy a picture of your forehead and ask if he can make out the letters SUCKER anywhere on there...  Sheesh!

Luckily I've had only positive experiences with Audiogon.  Most people are very honest, which is a pleasant surprise.  Certainly nobody's ever asked me to send the gear without paying first, though.  Personally I'd tell that guy to go fly a kite.

BeeBop

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2004, 09:45 am »
Quote from: nathanm
...Personally I'd tell that guy to go fly a kite.

I'll just send him your avatar  :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2004, 11:28 am »
Watch out for Bank checks, certified checks, and some MOs.  They can be stopped.  USPS MO's are the best way to go as I don't believe they can be stopped.

EDIT>>
Hell, I might as well add a bit more.  I've only had good experiences at Agon.  One UPS F-up because the seller did not package well enough IMHO.
If you don't feel comfy give the buyer or seller a call.  Only ship or receive from same address as payment.   Watch out for different email and paypal acounts.

If you buy, be certain seller is double boxing and packing very well.  If selling double box and pack very well.  At least 2" of non-movable materials work best on all sides in both boxes.  Besides not getting paid a UPS claim is the next worst thing that can go wrong.

Good luck,

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2004, 04:48 pm »
I'll just send him your avatar  :lol:

Only if you pay the licensing fee! And you'll have to sell a lot of gear on Audiogon to afford that! :wink:  Actually I think Melon Helmet the Disgruntled Cat is more threatening.  He could be sent to that guy's house to scratch up his speaker grilles if he gives you any guff with the transaction! :P

pjchappy

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2004, 09:27 pm »
I came across an amp I wanted (a NAD C320BEE). . .however, the 2 sellers had 0 and 3 on their feedback. . . having never dealt w/ anyone or anything on A-Gon before, I don't know what I should do. . .

p

eric the red

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2004, 10:24 pm »
PJChappy: Go to www.spearitsound.com and click on their demo page. They have a 3200BEE in a blemished carton for 339.00 new with warranty. They have a good rep and it's only 39.00 more than the no-feedback Audiogoners want for their used units...

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2004, 10:39 pm »
Payment up front including shipping.

Does the buyer know how much the shipping charges could be? They will be substantial.  I would also ask for Paypal or cashiers check for payment.  There are lots of overseas scams. That's why most ebay sellers only sell and ship within the US.

I have bought and sold on Audiogon and E-bay for a long time and only had one problem with a buyer that had my speakers for almost a month and then wanted to return them. I played hardball and said no returns. Most people are pretty good to deal with as long as you are upfront and honest about what you are selling.