other pre-amps matched with the SET 400

MikePM

other pre-amps matched with the SET 400
« on: 5 Dec 2019, 09:11 pm »
I need a new amp to handle the 4 ohm load of my Selah Fidele speakers, it caused my vintage yamaha amp to clip.  I understand that the SET 400 or the Fet valve 400R would probably work well, but I don't want (can't afford) to also get a new pre-amp at the moment.  I already have a Schiit Freya and was wondering if anyone matched the AVA amps with the Freya+ ?  Also, any thoughts on if its worth stretching for the 400R.

Thanks for any comments.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: other pre-amps matched with the SET 400
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2019, 11:49 pm »
I  think that the SET 400 would be a good match with the Freya +.  I have not heard the 2 together but I did hear the Freya at RMAF this fall and I wrote a review on the SET 400 and FET Valve 600R amps.  These amps pair well with tube gear and you have the luxury of tube rolling to play around with the sound.  The SET amps IMHO have a more romantic midrange than the FET amps.  Both amps are excellent and sound different.  Neither better than the other although I have not heard the latest versions of the R series amps except the 850 mono's which are just fabulous sounding amps.

Besides, AVA has a 30 day money back policy so there is no risk.

Larry
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2019, 01:00 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

MikePM

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2019, 03:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  Very on point and helpful.  My room tends to have a little to many hard surfaces, rock walls and windows, so the more romantic midrange sounds like the way to go. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2019, 01:01 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  Very on point and helpful.  My room tends to have a little to many hard surfaces, rock walls and windows, so the more romantic midrange sounds like the way to go.

Post a review if you go the AVA route :D

barker

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2019, 03:14 am »
I am considering the very same configuration. I have the Freya+ and really like it, waiting for finances to align for the SET 400. Let us know how it goes if you go with AVA.

Gyosa

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2019, 05:48 pm »

“More romantic midrange” ......
What exactly do you mean ?

Bk

I  think that the SET 400 would be a good match with the Freya +.  I have not heard the 2 together but I did hear the Freya at RMAF this fall and I wrote a review on the SET 400 and FET Valve 600R amps.  These amps pair well with tube gear and you have the luxury of tube rolling to play around with the sound.  The SET amps IMHO have a more romantic midrange than the FET amps.  Both amps are excellent and sound different.  Neither better than the other although I have not heard the latest versions of the R series amps except the 850 mono's which are just fabulous sounding amps.

Besides, AVA has a 30 day money back policy so there is no risk.

Larry

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2019, 07:29 pm »
I would not consider the SET 400 midrange as being "romantic" in the sense of that from lots of vacuum tube preamplifiers (overly warm and slightly unfocused).

I suggest that the midrange of the SET 400 is just really engaging and realistic with outstanding inner detail and microdynamics.

Check out this review.

https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2018/9/13/the-van-alstine-vision-set-400-stereo-amplifier

Frank