Blue Mitchell

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Blue Mitchell
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
RE: Tom Cat

Plain and simple - marketing considerations. Why weren't Tina Brooks records released till yrs later?
The album The Sidewinder was a smash hit for Lee and Blue Note. It made the pop 100 charts. Blue Note initially pressed 4000 copies and ran out in a few days. But after that Blue Note and their distributors tried to come up with more hits and mega sales. Apparently Search For The New Land, Tom Cat, and Rumproller were delayed because of that. Tom Cat was overlooked, but the others were eventually released. Thanks to Michael Cuscuna for providing this info on the back of the first LP issue. It's one of those Liberty solid blue labels with a white cover and a rainbow in the corner. Blue Note Classic LT-1058. "This material is previously unissued"

Other titles in this series are Infinity (Larry Willis, Jackie McLean, Reggie Workman, Billy Higgins) and Taru (Benny Maupin, George Benson, John Hicks, Reggie Workman, Billy Higgins). I think Sonic Boom is also one. I seem to have misplaced it.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2011, 05:19 am »
Neo, I'll be lookin for the Benny Maupin date.  Love the cat.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #22 on: 5 May 2011, 03:26 pm »
Yea Jim, I hear you.
Benny Maupin and Hank Mobley are 2 of my favorites. Great players.

Taru might be a little harder to find. There's a limited edition CD that's available. Good album.

Do you have The Procrastinator? That was one of Lee's best albums. After Sidewinder, Lee started to make a transition from the straight up '60s hard bop into a more modern, modal and sometimes introspective vein. The album Search For the New Land personifies that transition. But Procrastinator is a really bumpin session with guys from Miles band + Bobby Hutcherson. Lee sounds like he's been playing with Herbie, Wayne and Ron Carter for years.
Highly recommended:
http://www.amazon.com/Procrastinator-Lee-Morgan/dp/B000005H19/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #23 on: 5 May 2011, 03:49 pm »
Actually, it's Bennie Maupin, He's still with us BTW. He's 70 yrs old.

He's also on Lee's album Live at the Lighthouse. It is a double LP recorded a couple of yrs later. I have a cool old Bennie LP called Slow Traffic to the Right. I always liked the way he plays. Some different instruments too, like bass clarinet and a few different saxophones.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 5 May 2011, 04:15 pm »
I also have Slow Traffic To The Right on vinyl.  Love it!  Thanks for the Lee Morgan rec.

lazydays

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2011, 07:00 pm »
The Thing To Do
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A2VP0/ref=s9_simh_bw_p15_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FY4E4T6R8SZ1QH5CA9K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1280261722&pf_rd_i=5174

In the mid '60s Blue made 5 or 6 records for Blue Note. Most with Chick Corea, one with Herbie. He made quite a few as a sideman too. He was a good player. You hear him a lot with Junior Cook. There's one or two with Joe Henderson.

I have one odd ball recording that's kinda lost in the middle of a gazillion CD's. The guy on trumpet goes by the nicname of "Sugar Blue". It's a European recording and the trumpet solos are outstanding to say the least! I have often wondered if Blue Mitchell and Sugar Blue are the same.
gary

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2011, 10:38 am »
Last night I played an old album I have on an OJC. Takin' Care of Business - Charlie Rouse quintet. Charlie Rouse, Blue Mitchell, Walter Bishop, Earl May, Art Taylor. Jazzland 5/60 NYC stereo.

I love old albums like that. It was just so well played. Those guys could relax in the groove and make it seem effortless. No spectacular fireworks or displays of unparalleled virtuosity, just solid playing. It's interesting to hear Charlie playing Monkless. It sounds fresher to me than his later stuff with Sphere. Of course Blue plays beautifully and is a pleasure to hear.

http://www.amazon.com/Takin-Care-Business-Charlie-Rouse/dp/B000000YRG/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1305196526&sr=1-2

neo

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2011, 11:56 pm »
Wow, we've kinda gotten off the OP, so - I was stuck in traffic on way home from IKEA after buying still yet another bookcase to house LPs, and had the music on random, and it pulled up 'The Thing To Do', and since I was trapped in car I actually listened to it instead of just 'having it on'. It's a damn fine album, the tune 'Step Lightly' had me 'seat dancing', never noticed in the past how sweet that tune is.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2011, 03:18 pm »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2011, 03:44 pm »
Neo -

Really liked the last link, seeing Blue playing. No wonder he was so good, look at his fingers working the valves.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2011, 03:52 pm »
Nice post, Bopdaddy!