Total Annihilation

Woodsea

Total Annihilation
« on: 8 Jan 2003, 03:31 am »
I fell in love with this game when it first came out.  Must have played it for 6 mos straight, until the new quake engine came out :nono:    I plucked it off my shelf again this past month, and started playing it.  I don't know about other games but this one still enthralls me, and there are folks out there still building units, maps and mods.
Chris Taylor (the creator) has eluded to his latest project, after Dungeon Seige, will be another RTS quite like TA.  He no longer has the rights to the name, but I urge you to check it out when it finally appears.
Dungeon Seige held my interest for a good 3 mos, but cheating took the fun out of it.  Though the graphics were top notch.
Anyone else have a hankering for war games?  I believe TA was a much better game than Starcraft (but my old waring buddies liked the pretty colors more than TA), and I never tried C&C.  Though there next chapter C&C generals, looks alot like how I would believe TA2 would have played and looked.  http://generals.ea.com/english-full/frame.html

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Total Annihilation
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2003, 03:54 am »
Good to see you!

I assume this is a PC game?  :oops:

I definitely like war games - I played Wolfenstein back in the day and played some half-life and unreal.

Now my war game is HALO - playing it in Legendary mode tonight for the first time  :o

Woodsea

Total Annihilation
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:21 am »
Yes it is a PC game.  Real-time strategy...not a first person

skchow

Total Annihilation
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2003, 06:23 am »
Oh wow, someone still remembers Total Annihilation!  It came around at the same time as Starcraft so it overshadowed quite a bit by it.  But by far, it had the best use of artillery. jets and ships in any RTS game.  The jets for example were fast, hard to shoot down, and made wide sweeping turns (unlike the insane aircraft of Starcraft that had more hit points than a tank and can turn on a dime). There was nothing like those huge battles where the landscape is decimated and littered with burning hulks of machines.  And the best thing was since all the battles were done with robots, no blood was ever spilled, and this game was safe for the kiddies too!

Adriel

Total Annihilation
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2003, 11:36 am »
I enjoyed building the long-range missle system and watching the projectile eliminate clusters of enemy dots on the radar.

Some other RTS games that I remember:

Dominus (dos): Anyone remember it?

C&C, StarCraft, Red Alert 2, WarCraft 3: they were fun for a very short time

BattleZone 2: I think this might be a classic now.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms: awful

Force 21: could have been so much more.

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: haven't had time

A good mechanized armor RTS with modern graphics would be nice, like Force 21, but deeper, more detailed, and less flawed.

I feel like playing TA right now, but...everything takes so long to build in that game. NBA Live 2003 is a nicer, faster tempo for current gameplay.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Total Annihilation
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2003, 03:45 am »
I played Warcraft and Command & Conquer for awhile years ago.  Both were fun, but they were for Playstation; loved the controller, but lots of slowdown.