Salk BEATS in 12 x 12 Room

artofaudio

Salk BEATS in 12 x 12 Room
« on: 2 Dec 2021, 08:41 pm »
I’m getting an interior room built in my house (replacing dining room that I don’t use) and I’m wondering if 12 x 12 room is enough space for the BEATS.  Right now, they are in a large open space.  I’m sure if I put them in the new room I will have to deal with corners, etc…. I’m open to suggestions.  Thanks.

rmdtexas

Re: Salk BEATS in 12 x 12 Room
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2021, 10:31 pm »
a small square room is definitely not ideal.  you will probably need room treatments to get anywhere close to the best out of the BeATs.  You might be better off setting them up diagonally in a nearfield type setup.

but experimentation will probably have to be done.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2021, 01:04 pm »
Please avoid building a small/square listening room, it's the worst possible solution, especially for a large loudspeaker.  Can you say boom/boom?  Expect a double dose of 90Hz resonance.  Nothing can fix that.  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn how rooms affect inherent bass peaks/dips.  Most audiophiles over spend for the room.  Would much rather have a $1000 system in a decent room than a $10,000 system in a heavily compromised room. 

dpatters

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2021, 01:26 pm »
Please avoid building a small/square listening room, it's the worst possible solution, especially for a large loudspeaker.  Can you say boom/boom?  Expect a double dose of 90Hz resonance.  Nothing can fix that.  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn how rooms affect inherent bass peaks/dips.  Most audiophiles over spend for the room.  Would much rather have a $1000 system in a decent room than a $10,000 system in a heavily compromised room. 

I couldn’t agree more.

Don P.

mav52

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2021, 08:27 pm »
I have a small 12w x12 L x10 h office, but I have a 6 foot pocket door on one end.  I have a small system, with bookshelf's. Its rather interesting to hear the difference in sound when that pocket door is open, the bass when that door is closed vs open.  ITs better but not even close to ideal.  The walls and ceiling in that room, when it was built have QuietRock 545, which seems to help. But yes, if this was my only audio room then a square room doesn't get it unless you are a headphone user.

artofaudio

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2021, 04:26 pm »
Based on the responses it does not seem like it is worth the trouble to make a room this size work with the BEATS.  Maybe I will turn it into a multi-purpose room with some ceiling or wall mount speakers for TV viewing.