Dune (2021) - WOW!!!

Chewbacca

Re: Dune (2021) - WOW!!!
« Reply #60 on: 25 Nov 2021, 07:13 pm »
The movie came out in 1984 and the miniseries in 2000.  Did you see the movie on tape/disc?

Saw them both on tape I believe. The first one for sure, my dad recorded that from TV lol. Then the miniseries I remember us renting from blockbuster - man, been awhile since I’ve thought about blockbuster :lol:

artur9

« Reply #61 on: 6 Dec 2021, 02:21 am »
Saw this again, in IMAX, with the better half. 

She mentioned the dialog was hard to hear due to the loud music! :-O

She used to be able to hear students whispering in the back of the classroom...

mgalusha

« Reply #62 on: 6 Dec 2021, 06:40 pm »

genjamon

« Reply #63 on: 6 Dec 2021, 07:39 pm »
Interesting...

"The technology we have today is so vastly improved that there is no limit to what can be added: whatever the director wants, for months on end. We literally have hundreds of tracks at our disposal ... in a final mix, we therefore have a lot to deal with. Unending score smashed up against hundreds of tracks, with the client asking to hear every nuance above every other nuance."

Maybe they should try using some Hapa or Zenwave cables or something to increase separation and imaging!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #64 on: 7 Dec 2021, 12:50 am »
Came across this the other day, an interesting read about movie dialog.

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/
This was very enlightening.  It's been years since I gave up on going to the movies.  I'd sit with my damaged ears, frustration building while my wife enjoyed the movie.  Finally, I just stopped going.  We watch at home with subtitles.
So watching Dune may not have the cinemagraphic extravaganza in the mold of Lawrence of Arabia, but reading the dialogue though the wind and whispers is easy peasy.   But we did stop the action a few times as I explained what was happening to my adult daughter.  The movie was quickly paced for her, but I explained how Dune is an epic with sooooo much more to go. 
Overall, it's well done.  Not Lord of the Rings well done, but a solid effort to create a visual of a vast novel. 

mjosef

Re: Dune (2021) - POW!!!
« Reply #65 on: 8 Dec 2021, 12:07 am »
My expectations might have been too high (with all the pre-release fanfare), found the movie slightly underwhelming, a bit superficial. I enjoyed it nevertheless and didn't have any problem hearing dialog on my HT 5.1.4 system.
Dune requires a longer format, like what AppleTV is doing with Foundation.

Vince in TX

Re: Dune (2021) - POW!!!
« Reply #66 on: 8 Dec 2021, 12:46 am »
My expectations might have been too high (with all the pre-release fanfare), found the movie slightly underwhelming, a bit superficial. I enjoyed it nevertheless and didn't have any problem hearing dialog on my HT 5.1.4 system.
Dune requires a longer format, like what AppleTV is doing with Foundation.

I'm really enjoying Foundation, too.    :thumb:

And I can't wait for the new season of Raised by Wolves.   That looks really good.