The End Looks Near For RadioShack

dB Cooper

The End Looks Near For RadioShack
« on: 4 Feb 2015, 03:05 am »
Won't post any links, they are easy enough to find, but it looks like RSH is circling the drain after a "prolonged illness".

Granted, they haven't been a factor in the audio market in years, but this company once was a Cheap n' Cheerful haven (back in the day, some of their low buck speakers were pretty respectable for the money) and at the dawn of time they sold things like the "Lifetime" tube line and Janszen electrostatic tweeters (!). I remember the one near me when I was a kid had an AR turntable; the manager always had bass, treble and midrange all turned up...

They always had that oddball "doohickey" you needed and they were all over the place.

I worked there for a while late 90's- early 2000's. All they were about by that time was cellphones, and trying to sell one to anybody who came in looking for anything else.

*Scotty*

Re: The End Looks Near For RadioShack
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2015, 03:20 am »
I saw that they were delisted today. I guess I will have to stock up on all those hard to find doohickies, like the fuses that are used in my stereo components.
Scotty

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2015, 03:34 am »
I haven't been to one of their stores in years but I loved going there when I was a kid. It was total geek heaven! I built a couple of their kits early on and when I was older I used them when I needed an "emergency" audio/video cable. I'm sure most of us did.

Slush

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2015, 03:41 am »

Hi all,
I bought a Realistic amplifier, a Diskman and many other small items.
Yes, 30 years ago, it was a great place to get stuff, but not anymore.
I was there 14 years ago and the one I went into look more like an up-side down warehouse
and I went again three years ago and the first thing you could see wall to wall
before you get to the counter was cell phones.
Anyway, in Canada now it's called The Source and I think it has nothing to do with Radio Shack USA.
We use to call it Radio Scrap at one time.

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2015, 03:47 am »
RadioShack was great many moons ago.  The internet likely forced them to move from their core business to the present where all one sees are cell phones.  One used to be able to walk into a store and for the most part speak to someone semi-knowledgeable or better about parts.  I just went into one of these stores today for the first time - http://www.batteriesplus.com/franchising/localNews_01-04-13.aspx  to get the screen fixed on an iPad Mini.  It was kind of like a blown up section of the battery department at the old RadioShack stores.