DIY- World Class Monitor that's Tube Amp Friendly

Jeff K

Re: DIY- World Class Monitor that's Tube Amp Friendly
« Reply #40 on: 1 Dec 2018, 10:43 pm »
Rick is a great designer/builder and a really nice guy, but I wonder if his Circle is the appropriate place to discuss or endorse all these other loudspeakers. His call, of course.

Docere

« Reply #41 on: 1 Dec 2018, 11:29 pm »
Forgot to mention - SET's have horribly high output impedances. I would never use one.

Speakers can be (and are) designed to work well with high output impedance amplifiers. Such speakers will be less suitable for use with 99.99% of amplifiers (and few domestic settings), hence are at the audio fringe.

Thanks Rick for the GPA 604-8H-III crossover that in part has allowed me to own such a speaker, which I have enjoyed for many years.

Cheers.

Docere

« Reply #42 on: 2 Dec 2018, 10:24 am »
Rick is a great designer/builder and a really nice guy, but I wonder if his Circle is the appropriate place to discuss or endorse all these other loudspeakers. His call, of course.

With sincere respect, the OP's question is an appropriate question to Rick. The subsequent discussions, well I take your point, but that is up to Rick.

People get sucked into a these discourses, not consciously, but in an sffort to help, to justify their beliefs, to...

Cheers.

JoshK

« Reply #43 on: 2 Dec 2018, 09:23 pm »
I will add just a couple of cents into this discussion.   I, personally, think it is in bad taste to start suggesting other brand of speakers in someone's forum, such as Rick's.  There is a thing called PM that works great in this case.

The OP asked for a type of speaker that is for a type of amp that Rick, afaik, doesn't really aim to design for, and I agree that the vast majority of SET amps have horribly high output impedance yielding unfavorable measurements with most speakers (look at a previous comment for more on that).   I have built a single ended (although not Triode) amp myself and owned a few others, but they are utterly colored.   I think Rick favor's truth based on listening to two other speakers he designed and seeing how he designs.   

A speaker mentioned (not Rick's) that might meet some of the OP's objectives (not sure about benign impedance, didn't look...and further I bet Rick could design something similar if he so wished) is the Fusion Tempest mentioned earlier.  I think I heard the 15" version of these and they were great.  More typically used for HT aficionados but if the impedance was benign enough could also be used with tube amps.   Might still want to add a sub. 

lokie

« Reply #44 on: 2 Dec 2018, 09:26 pm »
Post 482- I write: "Regarding cabinets.... I have a few classic monitors in mind as inspiration. Can I post pictures? or would that be uncool?"
And Rick's response on the next post: "Sure - feel free to post them."

OzarkTom

« Reply #45 on: 2 Dec 2018, 09:35 pm »
I too wish this was posted elsewhere.

For the OP, look at the Decware DNA Horns. You can buy the plans for $19.95, it will take about $300-400 to build these. They are floor standers if you can use them, but have a very small foot print. Bass is very decent according to my buddy Rex, so subs may not be needed.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 6 Dec 2018, 08:18 pm »
I don't mind the posts of other speakers as it provides for me an opportunity to explain why most of them suck and / or have bogus sensitivity specs. SET amps remind me of the Apogee speakers from years ago. They had a model with the impedance being 1 ohm. The idea was that you needed to find an amp that could drive it. With the SET it's in the reverse - locate a speaker that it can drive. Who cares what size it is or how colored, just savor that first watt.

Delta77

« Reply #47 on: 3 Apr 2019, 02:54 pm »
 I was blown away with the Gamut room at one of the shows I went to.(LAAS) ..RS3 http://www.gamutaudio.com/speakers/rs3i..

Also at the same show Dan Modwright , said to look at Ryan speakers for inexpensive introduction to hi-end audio..This little speaker had me looking all over the room, for the Hidden Sub woffers (there were none)..!! Ryan S610 - http://www.ryanspeakers.com/Products/Products/Products/S610.html..

Another (affordable ) speaker I have heard at a show was the Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus at $596/pr from Underwood HiFi Inc.
very dynamic for it's size, driven by a 50 watt SS amp , it was nice for way under a grand..!!