Microreg

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Microreg
« on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

Some of you are finding it difficult to fit the typical three terminal regulator replacements generally available for DIY upgrades so I have prepared a micro shunt regulator for those awkward positions where you need something small. This micro shunt regulator is called Z17Mi and the board measures 18mm x 10mm with a component depth of 10mm total from one side of the board to the other.

The good news is that the spec is similar to my standard size mini shunt regulator.

The important error amplifier specs are :-

Slew rate 4,500 volts/microsecond
Transient rise time < 1 nanosecond
Transient settling time < 10 nanoseconds
Gain bandwidth product 0.95 GHz
Wideband noise 2 nanovolts root Hz

The regulator output impedance is less than 1 milliohm from DC to 200 KHz and the supply rejection is around 110 dB over the same bandwidth.

There micro regs can be set for voltages from 3v3 to 12v and currents up to 100ma depending on the voltage/current relationship of the application. For instance when set to 3v3 the reg will happily work with a 5 volt input voltage (dropout voltage is less than 1.5 volts) and supply up to 100 ma to the load.

The regulator is available as a positive voltage regulator now. If enough interest is shown I can have boards made for the negative voltage regulator version. Like my standard mini shunt regs, the positive voltage regulator has the same pin out as the LM317 type regs for input and output terminals and the adjustment terminal becomes the ground terminal as all the voltage setting components are no longer required when replacing adjustable regs.

The Z17mi costs £36 plus carriage, which I will quote for destination once known.

Now you can upgrade all the internal linear regs in equipment like the Squeezebox without difficulty.

Shown from left to right, the Z17 minireg, a TO220 regulator and the microreg.

Regards
Paul