Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier

Ron D

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier
« Reply #240 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:57 pm »
James, I had made an inquiry via Bryston's website a couple of days ago and have yet to receive a reply so I will post it hear...

1. Current Canadian list price of the DAC module?

2. Can this module be installed by the preamp's owner (plug & play) or does it have to be sent to the factory for installation?

TIA
Ron

bokko

« Reply #241 on: 6 Jan 2021, 02:03 am »
Like to inquire about bypass function on BP-17.3 before purchase.

Intend to hook my 3B squared to XLR output on preamp. Then I select one input on 17 cubed that I would connect my Marantz SR7012 Main L/R Pre-out.
Bypass is off I listen to Bryston goodness.

FYI
Main input used will be BDA 3 via XLR input fed from PC for now.

On built in phono thats based on BP-2 the gain would then be 41db? Can the Cartridge Loading be changed?
My iPhono 2 with Goldring 2500 on P6 sounds best at 250.

Thanks for your time
Stay safe

Nitsuave

« Reply #242 on: 21 Feb 2021, 10:11 pm »
I currently own a BDA 3.14 in a hybrid 2 channel/HT system and have been experimenting with a direct connection of the 3.14 to a NAD M25 bypassing my Anthem AVM 60 pre/pro.  The configuration has brought a noticeable improvement to the sound compared to using the AVM 60 as an analog pre amp.

I am considering the purchase of a BP 17 cubed for proper two channel listening without having to disconnect/reconnect cables.  The HT bypass feature should allow for easy integration into my existing system.

How does the digital pre amp feature of the 3.14 stack up against the pre amp capabilities of the BP 17?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #243 on: 22 Feb 2021, 10:57 am »
I currently own a BDA 3.14 in a hybrid 2 channel/HT system and have been experimenting with a direct connection of the 3.14 to a NAD M25 bypassing my Anthem AVM 60 pre/pro.  The configuration has brought a noticeable improvement to the sound compared to using the AVM 60 as an analog pre amp.

I am considering the purchase of a BP 17 cubed for proper two channel listening without having to disconnect/reconnect cables.  The HT bypass feature should allow for easy integration into my existing system.

How does the digital pre amp feature of the 3.14 stack up against the pre amp capabilities of the BP 17?

HI Nit

The 3.14 can be used as a preamp but one of its limitations is the total amount of voltage out capability - it is limited to 2 volts - which is OK in most cases depending on the input sensitivity of your power amp.  The BP17 is far more capable of much larger voltage swings and therefor is much more versatile with different power amplifiers.

I find that with the larger output capability you get better dynamics and more ease in the presentation. The BP-17 also has more flexibility to the type of source as well - analog,
Phono, Digital etc.

The main issue though is when you use a Digital Volume control (like in the 3.14) to drive the power amp the quality of the audio signal is a function of how high in level the output is. With Digital volume as you lower the level you also loose BIT's and therefor quality.  With the BP-17 that is not the case so any volume level still provides maximum performance.

james

MellowVelo

« Reply #244 on: 5 Nov 2021, 03:29 pm »
Hi James,

I'm considering a BP-17 with the internal MM phono card. My setup does not require a MC input. Are there any advantages to using an internal MM phono stage instead of an external stage? Does the MM circuit benefit from the BP-17's Salomie circuit and power supply?

Thanks for your insight!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #245 on: 5 Nov 2021, 04:15 pm »
Hi James,

I'm considering a BP-17 with the internal MM phono card. My setup does not require a MC input. Are there any advantages to using an internal MM phono stage instead of an external stage? Does the MM circuit benefit from the BP-17's Salomie circuit and power supply?

Thanks for your insight!

Hi

The BP17 Cubed has the Salomine circuit and the MM stage is identical to the external unit.

james

MellowVelo

« Reply #246 on: 5 Nov 2021, 04:30 pm »
Hi

The BP17 Cubed has the Salomine circuit and the MM stage is identical to the external unit.

james

Hi James,

Thanks for your response. Let me rephrase my question. Since the MM stage is identical, does it benefit from being directly connected to the Salomie circuit? I can imagine that this direct connection could be beneficial for reducing noise because it eliminates a set of interconnects. On the other hand, are there greater gains to be realized by using the external phono stage, which fully isolates the MM circuit from any potential EMI/RFI interference inside the BP-17? Ultimately, I'm trying to understand if there's any difference in performance between the two setups. I'm just interested in the quietest phono playback possible.

I hope that my question makes sense. Thanks for your time.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #247 on: 5 Nov 2021, 07:42 pm »
Ah I see - yes I agree the signal path is much shorter with the built in phono stage - and yes attention has to be paid to noise issues when doing so.

james

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #248 on: 6 Nov 2021, 02:05 am »
I have the internal phono option in my BP17 Cubed and it sounds very good and quiet.  If there's any noise it is below the noise floor of the line stage itself (I don't hear any more noise on the phono input than I do when line level inputs are selected)! 

Since you only need MM phono this is the most logical and economical way to go.  Even if you need MC phono, adding the TF2 step-up transformer to the internal solution is still more economical.

Keep in mind the Bryston BP2 phono stage requires you to buy an external power supply (MPS2 or PS3) which makes the decision to go internal even easier.  The only benefit I can see for an external phono stage is if you need adjustable cartridge loading.

See here for specifics on the various options:
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYBP2MMMC

clpetersen

« Reply #249 on: 4 Dec 2021, 03:42 pm »
Hello all -
I have a modest Bryston stack (2.5B-3 amplifier, BP17-3 with phono stage and the BHA-1).  Very occasionally, the BP-17 lights up several indicators at once - nothing audible happens, just the lights. Seems to be static sensitive - noticed this first time in many months last evening, dry and cold here in New England. Pressing the balance button immediately clears rogue lights.

So, anyone else experience this? any remedies?

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #250 on: 4 Dec 2021, 06:37 pm »
Very occasionally, the BP-17 lights up several indicators at once - nothing audible happens, just the lights. Seems to be static sensitive - noticed this first time in many months last evening, dry and cold here in New England. Pressing the balance button immediately clears rogue lights.

So, anyone else experience this? any remedies?

I have had rogue lights on Shutdown but never while operating!  Bryston looked at it a few times and just this week determined that firmware somehow got corrupted.  Mike says they re-flashed it and it's fixed now.  I should be getting it back next week.

clpetersen

« Reply #251 on: 4 Mar 2022, 07:11 pm »
Hi all - anyone know if the Trigger 2 output on the BP-17 cubed can set to be always on (as the Trigger 1 is)?
I don't have the remote but can borrow one. Is there an internal jumper perhaps?

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #252 on: 4 Mar 2022, 10:37 pm »
You would have to enable it for every input.  That should achieve the same thing.

I programmed this particular function to a soft key on my Harmony remote so it is very quick and easy to enable/disable the trigger.

clpetersen

« Reply #253 on: 4 Apr 2022, 06:59 pm »
Thank you Stefan - sorry I missed your reply till now.

clpetersen

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier - USB on DAC
« Reply #254 on: 4 Apr 2022, 07:02 pm »
This is for James/Mike and design team -

-will the BR-20 DAC card work in the BP-17-cubed?

-if not, is there a plan to add a USB input to the current DAC card for the BP-17 cubed?

Lack of a USB input has held me back on this card.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed preamplifier - USB on DAC
« Reply #255 on: 4 Apr 2022, 07:07 pm »
This is for James/Mike and design team -

-will the BR-20 DAC card work in the BP-17-cubed?

-if not, is there a plan to add a USB input to the current DAC card for the BP-17 cubed?

Lack of a USB input has held me back on this card.

Hi cipet

No the BR20 DAC card would not work in the BP-17 as it would require a redesign.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #256 on: 5 May 2022, 01:29 am »
Can you switch between green and blue leds in the field? (BP17 Cubed)
Or does that have to be ordered that way. Wondering if there’s an internal setting to change the color.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #257 on: 5 May 2022, 10:32 am »
Can you switch between green and blue leds in the field? (BP17 Cubed)
Or does that have to be ordered that way. Wondering if there’s an internal setting to change the color.

I think it is internal with some clips - need to check with engineering

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #258 on: 5 May 2022, 06:52 pm »
James

You are correct, there is a 3 pin connector
with a shorting jumper that can be repositioned to select color.
It is on the back side of the front PCB.

mr_bill

« Reply #259 on: 5 May 2022, 07:53 pm »
Thanks James - that sounds like a simple thing that could be done by a customer in the field if I’m reading that correctly?