Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jun 2017, 12:55 pm »
just bought a SurgeX used on ebay for under $100.  6 receptacles, 8 amps. Some of the two receptacles have gone for $50

I've always been hesitant about buying used surge equipment since you never know what abuse or surges it's had to handle.  Is that a valid concern?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jun 2017, 01:16 pm »
Yes, it's a bit of a gamble. This one has a 30 day return option.  But it's easy to test- push the "Test" button. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jun 2017, 02:12 pm »
I've always been hesitant about buying used surge equipment since you never know what abuse or surges it's had to handle.  Is that a valid concern?

Yes, with MOV based gear I'd avoid entirely as they wear out. With the SurgeX/etc. type devices there are electrolytic caps that can wear out (they are easily replaceable) but even if they are worn the surge suppression will still work to a large degree. SurgeX/etc. does not use MOVs or dump surge energy to ground.

ExileSt

« Reply #43 on: 5 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems to be the place for this. 

In my new apartment, every time the air kicks on I get a small pop through the speakers.  I assume this is ... bad.  And I further assume I need some kind of surge suppressor. (?)

Having read the thread, it seems like non-MOV is the way to go.  And in looking for the cheapest thing I can get away with, I see this Zero Surge on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Surge-Power-Quality-Filter-Surge-Protector-2R7-5W-ZeroSurge-New-In-Box/382160918001

My question:  Is 7.5 amps enough for power amp, buffer, and DAC?  Or do I need something beefier?  Or a different direction altogether? 

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 5 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems to be the place for this. 

In my new apartment, every time the air kicks on I get a small pop through the speakers.  I assume this is ... bad.  And I further assume I need some kind of surge suppressor. (?)

Having read the thread, it seems like non-MOV is the way to go.  And in looking for the cheapest thing I can get away with, I see this Zero Surge on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Surge-Power-Quality-Filter-Surge-Protector-2R7-5W-ZeroSurge-New-In-Box/382160918001

My question:  Is 7.5 amps enough for power amp, buffer, and DAC?  Or do I need something beefier?  Or a different direction altogether? 

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Honestly, I don't know... but I think there's some chance the unit will limit dynamics. I'd look for a 20A unit.

WGH

« Reply #45 on: 6 Dec 2017, 02:04 am »
Try the Tripp-Lite Isobar mentioned many times in this thread, it is good at filtering out noise.
The Isobar Ultra 4 is only $38.71 at Home Depot and if it doesn't stop the pops you can return it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tripp-Lite-Isobar-4-6-ft-Cord-with-4-Oulet-Strip-ISOBAR4ULTRA/203139329

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jan 2019, 06:51 am »
Possibly one of the dumbest tests ever.
Calling something a virtue (radio frequency response of an AC power line) that audiophiles buy a power conditioner (filter) to reduce.

The only reason for a 20A receptacle is if you have molded 20A plugs. As a the internal receptacle parts are designed for 20A. The only difference is the plug slot.

SPEED you might want to bust open some import wall plugs, they are not what they used to be, and yet some how get past inspection

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2019, 07:26 am »
your best bet for surge is a lightning arrester on your main panel, they are beer can big, but throw current down your ground before it ever gets into house, this can stop fires as well, a friend had a dam can opener burn his house down from a lighting surge. yea like nuts huh. the fire Marshall took it for a exhibit he was building on fire craziness.  if its a good hard lightning strike, nothing will protect you, the flash will just travel across all you got and flame out on your rig. This is devil DC current, it plays by even less rules then AC.

Most all these devices have big LEDS on them pumping noise into your system, I remove LEDS for a $ charge from equipment, unless its a junk amp, I promise audible results in the mid highs, this is old news.
when my system is on, it looks off. Marantz made a huge leap in turning its display off, that almost anyone can hear.

The only light i trust on a system, is a small neon, I THINK, jury still pending. many switches still use these.

Ferrite chokes are on almost all this stuff which adds a bit of boom smear to many a system.
you can remove these with no loss of protection and get a tighter low. but if you have a bass lean system, it can sound better with a ferret laden protector cause the dam doughnut choke is adding bass-period.

Monster made a raved about tap bar that STEREOPHILE said was great, I have it, plug it in more bass, unplug,,,less.

And all the above is most always true, but some times, none of it apply's and you get a more hypnotic sounding rig with junk hanging all over it.

Dam I wish there were more all the times rules

This is funny as hell, I put radio shack chokes on a guys main panel breaker wires out-
when he turns on his 240 dryer, they buzz, if you bang on them they stop, I think they need to just hang a certain way to vibrate.

snbeall

« Reply #48 on: 8 Mar 2020, 03:34 pm »
Sorry to drag this back up but I’m exploring the same topic and surprised that Furman isn’t mentioned. Those models that include SMP protection not only seem more effective but also a better option as used item - since it doesn’t wear out.