EVO DAC 2 or AMG PRA + AMG DAC

AllanS

EVO DAC 2 or AMG PRA + AMG DAC
« on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:13 pm »
I have an AMG STA, which agrees with me, and am considering DAC and pre options.

Given they use the same DAC chips, is it fair to say the AMG DAC and digital section of the EVO DAC 2 are comparable? Or are there significant sonic and/or implementation differences?

Putting aside the AMG PRA loudness compensation how do the preamps compare?  In an earlier thread Jason commented the “Evo DAC-2 has a very good preamp section, similar to PRA-9X” https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185606.0.

If it matters my preferences lean from neutral to warm. 

I don't know that I'll ever be able to afford it, but I'd really like the EVO STA.  Would either set up pair well with the EVO STA?

Thank you
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2024, 01:35 am by AllanS »

rustydoglim

Re: EVO DAC 2 or AMG PRA + AMG DAC
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2024, 06:02 pm »
The DAC's chip is the heart of a high-end DAC, but if the chip or specific design (such as dual DAC chip) is at or near the top level performance (we used ESS9038Pro before, but found that dual ESS9028Q2M chips achieve better performance and avoid the slightly dry ESS9038Pro sound), then the surrounding circuits such as preamp stage or power supply becomes the DETERMINING factory.

As you compare DAC-9X, AMG DAC, and Evolution DAC-2, you will find that their preamps and power supplies become successively sophisticated in design and use of parts.  For example, AMD DAC has a better preamp design than DAC-9X, and Evolution DAC-2 takes it further with the use of MUSES8820 opamps.  Evolution DAC-2 also uses C-core transformers for power supply.  We want the relatively entry-level DAC-9X to have the same architecture as the other mid and top-line DACs. You can't go wrong with DAC-9X, but we also ensure that at each level up, we deliver the upgrade in performance.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2024, 07:37 pm »
AllanS,

As it happens, I own an EVO STA <which very much agrees with me  :D> that I bought to use when it's too hot to run my tube gear; when my tubes misbehave, or to use in a second system. [Note to Jason: The EVO STA is a GREAT amplifier!] I purchased a DAC-9x last year to primarily use in a second system, but it also comes in handy when my tube preamp or tube DAC decides to misbehave. I've paired the Evo STA with the DAC-9x and quite like how they sound together.

I had very much the same curiosity that you have now - which Nuprime DAC best pairs with your amplifier? I struggled to decide which DAC to try, and finally decided on the DAC-9x because of its price and because I'd heard the DAC-9x at the Pacific Audio Fest in Seattle. While I do like the DAC-9x, I still wonder what either of the other two Nuprime DACs sound like. Maybe someday I'll get to hear them.

Recently my main system (tubes) was acting up, so I replaced my preamp and DAC with the DAC-9x to troubleshoot to find the culprit. [It turned out to be one of the preamp's tubes that was misbehaving.] One thing I learned was that even though the DAC-9x sounds good with my Evo STA, it sounds thin driving my 300b mono amps.  :lol: Ya can't win 'em all.

[Jason, I hope you don't mind my chiming in like this. Feel free to zap this post if it doesn't belong in this thread.]

Michael

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2024, 03:51 am »
Many thanks Jason.  I very much appreciate the details.  It’s only been very recently that I started paying attention to DAC chips and I’m impressed with NuPrime’s choices.

Thanks much Michael for your comments and impressions.  Knowing there isn’t a wrong or bad choice is helpful.    Which ever I choose will inevitably be wrong because I’ll wonder about the other.

The sensible decision would be the EVO DAC 2.  But my irresponsible self can’t help but want the semi retired Schiit stack on one side over a new Aegir2 with the AMG DAC and PRA stacked right next to it over the AMG STA.  Two systems side by side and cross feeding each other is like 8 systems for the price of two.

As I write this I’m beginning to realize how over the top this is…

If your travels ever take you through Raleigh you’re welcome to stop by and have a listen.