HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

Any of the MS-3 owners that want to post their listening impressions, please post them in this thread. 

Always fun for me to read about impressions and possible ideas for improvements.  I will put the other discussions about the speakers in the new thread instead.

Here is the thread where the DIY open baffle speakers are now posting:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142150.0
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2016, 12:20 am by HAL »

HAL

On the MS-3 side, tried it with the Meridian Explorer2 MQA enabled DAC using Foobar2000 as a player.

I recommend downloading the free MQA encoded files from 2L and giving them a listen.  The recordings that they have remastered with MQA sound very good to me. 

The download costs are about the same as other HiRez websites, so I did buy some of the full recordings with very good results, even without the decoder.

*Scotty*

While I have a MS-2 PC Music server, Rich has said that it is substantially the same as the MS-3. Both servers have the same design goals. The MS-2 is responsible for my digital playback having the same type of 3 dimensional sound-staging and holographic imaging that I have with spinning vinyl. Playback of music files using my Toshiba I7 quad-core laptop results in a much flatter sound stage, basically concentrated on the front wall of the listening room. The laptop also imparts a hardness in the midrange that is hard to live with.
 I imagine changing over to a MS-3 from a laptop should yield similar gains in sound quality and Rich's product support is outstanding.
Scotty

HAL

Scotty,
Thanks for the listening impressions write-up!

You are correct in that the MS-2 and MS-3 sound identical to me.  Sadly the MS-2 motherboard was no longer available.

Glad it has worked out in your system and makes music!

HAL

Since folks are asking about room correction software, will be giving Math Audio a try.  It is free for Foobar2000 users.

http://mathaudio.com

Just downloaded the file and will be installing it as part of the Pulsing Quasar speaker project.

oneartist

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to your findings. I'm impressed that you can multitask with a new speaker kit and room processing all at the same time.

HAL

For the LS-9 crossover measurements, here is the Dayton Audio ADA100 stereo power amp that will driver the passive crossover with Pocket CLIO as the measurement system. 

The unit has 60wpc and 5-way binding posts to make it easy to connect to raw wiring of an external passive crossover for measurements. 

As noted by others, it is important to have the speaker driver load on the passive crossover to get the correct frequency response plot to emulate digitally.

Will setup the measurement suite with a passive crossover to demonstrate the technique.

HAL

The Pocket CLIO measurement system is working and made it's first passive crossover measurement.  Wrote an instruction guide to go with it, so the user can get the measurements needed to create a digital crossover from the original passive crossover in the speaker.

Will be packing the system up and shipping it to the LS-9 owner to do the measurements on his speakers.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Rich,

Would you like to join us at THE Show Newport?

Hugh

HAL

Hugh,
The wife has booked me for something else at the same time.

Thanks for the offer!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Ah,

Next time then. :)

Hugh,
The wife has booked me for something else at the same time.

Thanks for the offer!

HAL

For PC based Music Servers, the MS-3 is a totally fanless and no moving parts solution to noise in the listening room.  The only time a mechanical system is running is when the DVD player is in operation for ripping discs.  Other than that it is totally solid state.

Another thing the PC platform also gives is the capability to add software like room and speaker correction and different music players that typically the streamer systems do not.  The system can also add capability over time as new audio ideas surface.

HAL

For anyone wanting a larger library storage option, the MS-3 can be built with either a 1TB or 2TB internal SSD drive.  The prices are now very reasonable for both.

The MS-3 with a 1TB SSD is $1299.00, with a 2TB SSD is $2000.00 plus shipping.  The first 1TB unit was shipped last year with very good feedback from the owner. 

This makes a totally silent Music Server that can be in the system with a short USB cables to drive the external DAC into the audio system. 

A remote NAS can be connected by either Ethernet or WiFi to the system for larger storage needs.

The new MS-3 setups of Foobar2000 will be adding the Math Audio Room EQ capability.  This way customers can try it in their own systems and see the capability and sound quality. 

HAL

For anyone wanting an excellent sounding small setup, the $299 Meridian Audio Explorer2 USB DAC and the MS-3 with the latest MQA decoding firmware sounds excellent.  It has both headphone and line level outputs.  Used it with my iFi iCan headphone amp and HiFiMan HE500's with excellent sounding results.  This DAC uses my preferred minimum phase filtering instead of linear phase filters. 

Have listened to many of the 2L MQA sample tracks and they sound excellent over the system.  This will also let you decode MQA from TIDAL streaming audio on the HiFi channel. 

After discussions with Math Audio, Room EQ will now be a standard component added to Foobar2000 for room and speaker correction.  Anyone with a MS-1, MS-2 or MS-3, I highly recommend giving this a try.  It needs a calibrated mic with calibration file, so there are a few options.  The easiest to me is the Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic since it is plug and play with Windows 7, 8.1 or 10.  Cost is under $90 from Parts Express. 

Here is the link for anyone interested in giving it a try.

http://mathaudio.com/room-eq.htm

HAL

For those with a headphone setup, MathAudio also makes Headphone EQ. 

This allows compensation like Room EQ for headphones.  It is also a component for Foobar2000.

HAL

First new HAL MS-3 with the latest version of Foobar2000 and MathAudio Room EQ is complete.  Only thing needed is a calibrated microphone setup.  I recommend the Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated USB mic for the system.  Once you have the mic you go to the Dayton Audio website and download the calibration file for your serial number.  The instructions for installing the calibration file are on the MathAudio website and are very simple to follow.

Looking forward to feedback on this one when it is purchased.  The stock HAL MS-3 is still $799.00 + shipping.

Odal3

Fyi: There are some places offering 3rd party professionally calibrated files. I got my umik-1 from cross spectrum labs. For the in the room measurements I do, the slightly better accuracy (if any) probably doesn't matter much but it didn't cost much more. They sell the dayton mics as well. I read somewhere where Herb compared both of the mics and stated that the noise floor of the Umik was slightly better but can't find those posts. Anyways, both the Umik and the umm-6 are of excellent values imho.

http://cross-spectrum.com

Here's an old blog post comparing the factory calibration with the one by cross spectrum. http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/should-you-get-your-measurement.html?m=1

HAL

Thanks for the feedback.  Would be interesting to compare the original and new calibration files. 

HAL

Just setup a new MS-3 Music Server for a friend to demo. 

Will be interested in the feedback on the Windows 10 OS in a setup that normally runs an MS-1 with Windows 7 OS.

HAL

The MS-3 demo went well and answering questions about operation at this point. 

Sent an updated LS-9 crossover file to the demo for trials.  Updated the maximum volume level to 100 percent.  Comments so far on just the crossover have been very positive. 

The next step is to run MathAudio Room EQ for speaker and room correction.  Sent simplified instructions to follow that worked well for a stereo seat measurement.