Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?

sumoking

I got this passive and it blew me away for the buck.

Please share if you agree or if you know of a better deal.

Cheers!

rotarius

It would be a good deal if that is a genuine Alps pot.  Lot of fake ones coming out of China.  But hey, if it sounds great, it's a bargain!

OzarkTom

For my buddy Rex, it replaced a $1400 and a $600 passive, for me, it replaced an $1800 tube pre. If nothing else, buy one for a back-up pre in case your present one goes defective.

navi

I got this passive and it blew me away for the buck.

Please share if you agree or if you know of a better deal.

Cheers!

You get your source output and power amp input impedance right and you'll get a clear window, grain free sound from a passive pre.
I've built a passive pre with a case once, cost me a lot more than $55

Folsom

If it’s a genuine Alps pot I’d throw it in the trash.

wushuliu

Folks need to be more specific or provide links. There are multiple versions of these things out there. Is this the passive with relays and power cord or this the one without either?

OzarkTom

Folks need to be more specific or provide links. There are multiple versions of these things out there. Is this the passive with relays and power cord or this the one without either?

The $56 one.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545785805&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=%2456+Nobsound+Passive+Preamp

Mine is never going in the trash. :nono:

wushuliu

The $56 one.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01MXC9HHW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545785805&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=%2456+Nobsound+Passive+Preamp

Mine is never going in the trash. :nono:

Ok. On Ebay they go from $40 to $70, some under the Little Bear label. Looks like just an alps pot and a nice straightforward pcb. I think the lesson here is how overpriced some passives can be.

FYI - the same preamp is only $40 on Amazon as the Little Bear MC2.

EDIT: the MC2 has 20k input impedance vs. 10k for the Nobsound.

Folsom

Cacophonix

OzarkTom

Ok. On Ebay they go from $40 to $70, some under the Little Bear label. Looks like just an alps pot and a nice straightforward pcb. I think the lesson here is how overpriced some passives can be.

FYI - the same preamp is only $40 on Amazon as the Little Bear MC2.

EDIT: the MC2 has 20k input impedance vs. 10k for the Nobsound.

The $40 one is made out of plastic. It almost sounds as good as the $56 one on Amazon. I have both, but the $56 one on Amazon is the latest updated one and the build quality is well worth the extra $16. Some of the metal ones on Ebay is not the latest models. I would never pay more than the Amazon one for $56. I know it is the latest model.

OzarkTom

There you go Folsom, another Hot Rod project. Yank those bad Alps pots out and put much better ones in.We would all buy one from you.

I.Greyhound Fan

I agree, Alps pots are mediocre. However, when I built a Pass B1 buffer, I tried a motorized Alps Blue and an expensive TKD motorized 2511 pot. The TKD had much more detail but it was unbearably bright.  A waste of money.

I always laugh when I see companies claim that they use an expensive blue alps pot.  The non motorized version cost $15 vs $45 for the motorized for remote control.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
Just ordered the $56 Nobsound . Will be here Saturday . Lets see how it compares to the SMPro Nanopatch I have used for years . The smpro uses a pot I could not identify from research ? Looking for a improvement with the ALPS  /nobsound

wushuliu

The $40 one is made out of plastic. It almost sounds as good as the $56 one on Amazon. I have both, but the $56 one on Amazon is the latest updated one and the build quality is well worth the extra $16. Some of the metal ones on Ebay is not the latest models. I would never pay more than the Amazon one for $56. I know it is the latest model.

Wonder how much of that sound quality difference is due to the lower impedance of the newer pot. One of the things I found building different passives and actives (like the B1) is that there's a sweet spot when it comes to the output impedance to an amp, with preference for lower.

A nice well made basic passive is always handy.

Poultrygeist

Yes. I've enjoyed my Nobsound passive preamp but be careful as the RCA inputs are fragile and tight cables can pull them out. I know from experience.

As much as I like the Nobsound a better and cheaper choice is the $31 FX Audio 6j1 preamp ( not a buffer ) paired with a switch box ( if more inputs are needed ). 

I started a thread on the FX on another forum where it's getting great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-TUBE-01-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B01HEQJGPC

OzarkTom

Yes. I've enjoyed my Nobsound passive preamp but be careful as the RCA inputs are fragile and tight cables can pull them out. I know from experience.

As much as I like the Nobsound a better and cheaper choice is the $31 FX Audio 6j1 preamp ( not a buffer ) paired with a switch box ( if more inputs are needed ). 

I started a thread on the FX on another forum where it's getting great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-TUBE-01-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B01HEQJGPC

Are you using the stock tubes?

Poultrygeist

I swapped the Chinese stock tubes for a pair of WE 403B's which I already had. Also using a linear regulated psu.

OzarkTom

Ordered, it will be here Friday. I will compare the two. I also have 403B WE tubes and 12v PSU lying around here somewhere. Now to find those. :scratch:

Speedskater

• Kevin
Gee, $56 for the linked Nobsound unit is a great deal for a balanced stereo level control. I'm temped to get one just to see if it's wired correctly.
It's easy to mis-wire a balanced level control and when you add XLR to RCA switches at both ends, why it's even easier.