Current Projects

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Current Projects
« on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:13 am »
Am finally building the speakers for my niece, nephew and step-daughter.

The niece and nephew each get a pair of X-MTM Encores and my step daughter gets the three (L/C/R) X-CS Encores on top.

The X-CS Encores have the NoRez installed. One more baffle to glue on and they will be ready to prep for the veneer. The MTM's are ready for the NoRez.

The veneer is on order. The step-daughter wanted Wormy (aka Ghost) Maple and the niece and nephew are both getting Poplar which will be ebonized.

Mike

Guy 13

Re: Current Projects
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2014, 03:06 am »
Am finally building the speakers for my niece, nephew and step-daughter.

The niece and nephew each get a pair of X-MTM Encores and my step daughter gets the three (L/C/R) X-CS Encores on top.

The X-CS Encores have the NoRez installed. One more baffle to glue on and they will be ready to prep for the veneer. The MTM's are ready for the NoRez.

The veneer is on order. The step-daughter wanted Wormy (aka Ghost) Maple and the niece and nephew are both getting Poplar which will be ebonized.

Mike

Hi Mike.
I hope you are not doing that for free for your relatives
otherwise you will go broke. :lol:
On how many weeks that project was spread?
Nice work, more picture later would be highly appreciated
for the feast of our eyes.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:49 am »
Geeze Mike, you're a busy guy.
 I was seriously considering a pair of the  X MTM's at one point,  will be interesting to hear your opinion  comparing them to the  N3TL's.
Looking good   , anxious to see more  :thumb:

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2014, 01:03 am »
Hi Mike.
I hope you are not doing that for free for your relatives
otherwise you will go broke. :lol:
On how many weeks that project was spread?
Nice work, more picture later would be highly appreciated
for the feast of our eyes.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Guy 13,

Yep, they are being done for free. For Christmas last year I gave each one of them the option of any X-Series speaker they wanted. The niece & nephew each picked a pair of X-MTM's and the step-daughter picked a pair of X-LS Encores and finagled an X-CS center channel as well. What can I say, a daughter has more pull than a niece or nephew  :).  Since then she has moved into a larger space so I upgraded her to three X-CS Encores. Of course, it may be Christmas this year before I get done with all of them  :lol:

All of the speakers are getting Sonicaps and Mills resistor upgrades along with NoRez and Electra tube connectors. The daughter's X-CS Encores are also getting Erse XQ inductors, Sonicap Gen II by-pass caps in both woofer and tweeter circuits and point-to-point wiring (it's that daughter thing again). Though I will probably go ahead and order the inductors, by-pass caps and some extra wire from Danny and point-to-point wire the X-MTM's also. I like the sound of the point-to-point wired networks a lot better than the upgraded circuit boards.

I started on all of these the middle of July so it has been about 6 weeks so far. 

Geeze Mike, you're a busy guy.
 I was seriously considering a pair of the  X MTM's at one point,  will be interesting to hear your opinion  comparing them to the  N3TL's.
Looking good   , anxious to see more  :thumb:

-jay

Jay,

The comparison will be interesting (after all, I do have to burn them in don't I?) but not exactly fair. In addition to the Neo 3 PDR, the N3TL's have platinum by-pass caps.

I didn't do a step by step this time since I already have a build thread with the X-CS Encores and one for the N3TL's which is very similar to the X-MTM's.  Plus my camera died on me in the process of gluing everything up. I could only take 3 pictures before I had to recharge the battery.  I have a new camera now and am slowly learning how to use it. I have some other pics I'll get up later after I process them down to a size for posting on the web.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2014, 02:46 am »
Here are some pics of the X-CS Encore glue ups. Those Brace B's are a bugger since they are recessed far enough back that none of my clamps would reach them. I had been using a brad nailer to hold them in place until the glue dries but that had some problems, mainly splitting the MDF. Maybe a pin nailer would have worked better. Then I came across some wooden cam clamps with 6", 8", and 12" reaches. They didn't seem real substantial even though they supposedly applied 350psi clamping pressure.  I had read about them being used by guitar makers so I decided to give some a try.

Check them out in the pictures below. They really work well and reach where no other clamp will.

Here are some more pics of the braces going in:

The top being glued on - new camera, bad exposure

Now the back

That's all for now, more to come

Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2014, 02:56 am »
Guy 13,

Yep, they are being done for free. For Christmas last year I gave each one of them the option of any X-Series speaker they wanted. The niece & nephew each picked a pair of X-MTM's and the step-daughter picked a pair of X-LS Encores and finagled an X-CS center channel as well. What can I say, a daughter has more pull than a niece or nephew  :).  Since then she has moved into a larger space so I upgraded her to three X-CS Encores. Of course, it may be Christmas this year before I get done with all of them  :lol:

All of the speakers are getting Sonicaps and Mills resistor upgrades along with NoRez and Electra tube connectors. The daughter's X-CS Encores are also getting Erse XQ inductors, Sonicap Gen II by-pass caps in both woofer and tweeter circuits and point-to-point wiring (it's that daughter thing again). Though I will probably go ahead and order the inductors, by-pass caps and some extra wire from Danny and point-to-point wire the X-MTM's also. I like the sound of the point-to-point wired networks a lot better than the upgraded circuit boards.

I started on all of these the middle of July so it has been about 6 weeks so far. 

Jay,

The comparison will be interesting (after all, I do have to burn them in don't I?) but not exactly fair. In addition to the Neo 3 PDR, the N3TL's have platinum by-pass caps.

I didn't do a step by step this time since I already have a build thread with the X-CS Encores and one for the N3TL's which is very similar to the X-MTM's.  Plus my camera died on me in the process of gluing everything up. I could only take 3 pictures before I had to recharge the battery.  I have a new camera now and am slowly learning how to use it. I have some other pics I'll get up later after I process them down to a size for posting on the web.

Mike

Hi Mike.
Your are so good at wood working,
that maybe you should start your own enclosure building business
or at least make it a profitable sideline/hobby,
don't you think so?

Guy 13

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2014, 03:27 am »
Guy 13,

That's actually part of my plan but as a sideline. Nothing big time like a full blown business. Just something I can do in the evenings and weekends and hopefully make enough money to at least pay for my tools and feed the addiction  :eyebrows: Maybe somebody will even want me to build them a pair of speakers I would never be allowed to have in the house otherwise, like a line source. At least that way I could listen to them while they are burning in.

Wouldn't want to give up my day job. Spent 7 years in college to be a Registered Dietitian, and have the student loan debt to prove it.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2014, 04:19 am »
Maybe somebody will even want me to build them a pair of speakers I would never be allowed to have in the house otherwise, like a line source. At least that way I could listen to them while they are burning in.

Mike

Just be sure the wife hears them too,  then  maybe,  just maybe  ........ 
I know where you're going with this  !!

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2014, 04:58 am »
Who, me??

Actually, I have my sights set on a pair of the OB LGK MMTMM's mated with a pair of dual 12" OB servo subs for my personal system.

Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2014, 09:07 am »
Guy 13,

That's actually part of my plan but as a sideline. Nothing big time like a full blown business. Just something I can do in the evenings and weekends and hopefully make enough money to at least pay for my tools and feed the addiction  :eyebrows: Maybe somebody will even want me to build them a pair of speakers I would never be allowed to have in the house otherwise, like a line source. At least that way I could listen to them while they are burning in.

Wouldn't want to give up my day job. Spent 7 years in college to be a Registered Dietitian, and have the student loan debt to prove it.

Mike

Hi Mike.
If you have a good (Paying) job and a job that you like,
then do the woodworking as a sideline,
a sideline that will bring extra $$$ to pay for your student loan
or whatever you dream of.
Building something and keep it for burn in, that's good, that way,
you can evaluate the sound of what you have built
and that way you will know what you have built sounds like.
I wish I could do that, but my two hand have ten thumbs. :oops:
If you were living next door to me, I would order a pair of enclosure
from you and I am sure it would be better than
my Vietnamese cabinet maker.
Like they say:
Keep up the good work.

Guy 13

nickd

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2014, 02:36 pm »
So Mike,
How do you feel about adopting? :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:05 pm »
So Mike,
How do you feel about adopting? :lol:

Thanks but I'm too old to be adopted :lol:

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2014, 01:59 am »
Here's some pictires of the X-MTM Encores. Gluing up the back of one of them here

Here's all 4 of them ready for the NoRez

Started adding NoRez today. Here's the first one, fully lined

Here it is again with the pieces in place that will attach to the front baffle

Had a little surprise with the NoRez. I bought 4 sheets, 1 per speaker, when I ordered the kit. I couldn't find any pictures showing me where to put the NoRez in the MTM Encores so I just lined everything. The surprise? One sheet wasn't enough. It took 2 1/2 sheets of NoRez to line this speaker. I only have 1 1/2 sheets left so I am going to have to get some more after the holidays to finish up.

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2014, 02:43 am »
Mike,

That is some seriously good workmanship.  :thumb:

Does the No Rez take away any of the volume? I'm trying to remember something I read about NoRez....that it doesn't impact the volume inside a speaker(?). I'm preparing to assemble a pair of Adelphos 2-way monitors that I would love to line with NoRez.

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2014, 02:50 am »
Mike,

That is some seriously good workmanship.  :thumb:

Does the No Rez take away any of the volume? I'm trying to remember something I read about NoRez....that it doesn't impact the volume inside a speaker(?). I'm preparing to assemble a pair of Adelphos 2-way monitors that I would love to line with NoRez.

Hi,
I remember Danny telling me that the NoRez does not impact
on inside volume of the enclosure.

Guy 13

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2014, 02:54 am »
No it doesn't. I asked Danny about this and he basically said fully lining the cabinet is a good thing and how he would do it if he were making them for himself. The only downside is some added expense.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2014, 03:05 am »
Excellent!

Once again, I have waited until the end of the week to make a buying decision. Now I must wait until Tuesday to place an order. Will I never learn?

Captainhemo

« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2014, 04:39 am »
No it doesn't. I asked Danny about this and he basically said fully lining the cabinet is a good thing and how he would do it if he were making them for himself. The only downside is some added expense.

With the amount you'll be uising,  maybe you can get a discount on a case load 
When I did the  "homemade "  no rez in my N3's,  I  lined them all the way down too

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2014, 08:19 pm »
Don't forget to the speaker binding post cup backside  :thumb: .

Great work. I love scrolling through pictures of you guys that look like you're able to be at manufacturing standards of the industry.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2014, 09:40 pm »
Don't forget to the speaker binding post cup backside  :thumb: .

Great work. I love scrolling through pictures of you guys that look like you're able to be at manufacturing standards of the industry.

No worries there, the NoRez completely covers the rear baffle also. I'm not using binding post cups on any of these speakers. While the kits came with binding post cups, I didn't like the look or feel of them so I bought Electra tube connectors for all the speakers.

Thanks everybody for all the compliments. When our home HVAC systems were replaced back in July, the installers said my N3TL's looked store bought. I took that as high praise considering what they were saying is that my French Polish (hand rubbed shellack) finish looked as good as sprayed catalyzed lacquer.

Mike