Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

alienderivative

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #60 on: 3 Oct 2011, 08:38 pm »
Thanks, again.  I went through so many threads over the weekend that I got dizzy.  I'm sure I saw the link you show but just couldn't recall the location.

rtate

« Reply #61 on: 3 Oct 2011, 09:11 pm »
So , if one wanted to make the x-ls encore with the port on the front , could one make the box just tall enough to fit the port or is there a calculation where the depth would change as well.
I'm thinking if the rear ported monitor is 13.5" tall could I make it 16" and locate the port under the woofer in the front ?
If the dimensions or "air space" change does the xover have to be tweaked?

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 3 Oct 2011, 09:20 pm »
So , if one wanted to make the x-ls encore with the port on the front , could one make the box just tall enough to fit the port or is there a calculation where the depth would change as well.
I'm thinking if the rear ported monitor is 13.5" tall could I make it 16" and locate the port under the woofer in the front ?
If the dimensions or "air space" change does the xover have to be tweaked?

Yeah, you can make it as tall as you want leaving room for the port. You are just shifting the tuning frequency lower as the box gets bigger.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #63 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:36 pm »
Oh man, this just gets better and better, but do you have to adjust the length of the port at all when you vary the volume of the box?

Danny Richie

« Reply #64 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm »
Oh man, this just gets better and better, but do you have to adjust the length of the port at all when you vary the volume of the box?

If you are trying to maintain the same tuning frequency then you do have to shorten the port. However, there is nothing wrong with tuning it lower, or allowing lower tuning.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #65 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm »
is there any advantage to maintaining the tuning frequency?

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 4 Oct 2011, 01:17 am »
is there any advantage to maintaining the tuning frequency?

The only advantage I can think of to keeping it tuned higher is if you had a bass hump below the tuning frequency (40Hz or so). That's not real likely though. You are more likely to have a bass peak at 50Hz or above.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #67 on: 5 Oct 2011, 07:01 am »
is there an easy way/ method/ equation for converting a design with one port to a design with 2 ports, and if so, what might the dimensions on the two ports be pls?
And before people ask, I am thinking of a box of this size as a centre channel with symetric twin front ports  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:00 pm »
is there an easy way/ method/ equation for converting a design with one port to a design with 2 ports, and if so, what might the dimensions on the two ports be pls?
And before people ask, I am thinking of a box of this size as a centre channel with symetric twin front ports  :)

I can calculate the ports for you based on box volume. You can even use a slot port. Another thing to keep in mind is that you want a minimum the amount of surface area around the tweeter. So don't go increasing the front baffle size around it.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #69 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:53 am »
As Cartman might say "Schweeeeeeeet"   :D

siava1018

« Reply #70 on: 7 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm »
Hey danny i called you guys to order the X-LS encores but no answer.  Will you guys be in tomorrow(sat)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:31 am »
Hey danny i called you guys to order the X-LS encores but no answer.  Will you guys be in tomorrow(sat)?

I was in almost all day.  :?  Leave a message next time and I will call you right back. I'll be here in the morning also. 940-592-3400

Big Stogie

« Reply #72 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:06 pm »
I am thinking about building a pair of X-Statik's. How would the X-CS Encore work as a center channel I just don't think I can fit the X-Voce and give it the opening it needs. I was also looking a the X-LS Encore for surrounds. I was able to get 4 of the MFW-15 Drivers which I was thinking about 2 dual opposed sealed, in about 2.5 cu/ft per driver? Any feedback?
Mike

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #73 on: 18 Oct 2011, 11:41 am »
Cabinet plans are here: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-LS%20Encore%20box.pdf

Do these cabinet plans change if one does not use 'No Rez'?

cujobob

« Reply #74 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm »

Not Danny, but no, they do not.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #75 on: 7 Nov 2011, 05:48 am »
http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-SLS%20Encore%20box.pdf

Danny, do you have a box stuffing drawing for the X-SLS you could link to?

Rclark

« Reply #76 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:32 am »

USE the No Rez, trust me, it's amazing stuff.

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 7 Nov 2011, 05:39 pm »
Danny, do you have a box stuffing drawing for the X-SLS you could link to?

No.

Just be sure to cover all of the walls (no bare spots) and leave a clear path to the port. I tend to put a little heavier layer on the back wall right behind the woofer.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #78 on: 7 Nov 2011, 05:54 pm »
No.

Just be sure to cover all of the walls (no bare spots) and leave a clear path to the port. I tend to put a little heavier layer on the back wall right behind the woofer.

If using No-Rez is there still a need for fiber batting?

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 7 Nov 2011, 06:39 pm »
If using No-Rez is there still a need for fiber batting?

I still use a little right behind the woofer.