Virtual PC installation

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Virtual PC installation
« on: 14 May 2023, 04:55 am »
I was playing around with Virtualbox. I installed Windows 7 on a Windows 7 desktop. I am having issues.

I can't...
1. figure out how to get a USB thumb drive to work on the virtual Windows
2. figure out how to to place files in regular Windows to be seen in virtual Windows
3. figure out how to get Internet Explorer to work so I can download a better web browser and whatever files I need

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Virtual PC installation
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2023, 08:27 pm »
Not the sharpest pencil in the box, but have been using VBox for years now to run XP on my Win7 Pro machines. I figured you'd get some more knowledgeable replies hence the delayed response.

Question - so is that what you are doing ? i.e. running an older Windows version on your 7 machine ? As you may know both the VBox machine & the core machine it's run on need to be in the same Workgroup, and if you use a password to access, that should be the same on both as well.

If memory serves there's something in the setup info for VBox that tells about setting up "shared folders", that addresses your item #2 to an extent I believe.

As to item #1, if you go into the Network section of Windows Explorer in VBox, then expand the Microsoft Network item, any USB drives that have properties set to share should show up in that expansion. Likewise folders on those drives that are set to share. This may also address some of your item #2 question.

Re: item #3, if it's XP you're running you likely need to go into the Control Panel, choose Network settings, then set your LAN &/or internet connection settings to allow connection thru the Windows Firewall. I only use my LAN in XP, so not sure if this is the answer but looks as if that might work.

Hope that helps some. Other questions, will share what I can experience-wise. Good luck, it is a handy tool. I tried the Windows virtual machine & was more trouble than it was worth. I've only had issues with one update version of VBox in close to 10 years I think, and I just re-installed the old version till the next newer one came out and that worked fine.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2023, 05:46 pm »
I have a Windows 7 PC.

I added Virtualbox to it. Loaded Window 7 to it. Since Windows 7 only comes with outdated Internet Explorer that doesn't work right, I had to type in a direct downloadable link to Brave, then I loaded Firefox (so I have at least two browsers. I can now download any other drivers I need or want. USB doesn't work.

I added Windows XP to experiment with it. USB works but the internet doesn't. I can load Brave, Firfox, whatever I want but it doesn't connect to the internet.

This is my crash course in Virtualbox.

Do you know how to uninstall a Virtualbox entry?
Do you know how to load an alternative operating system via ISO, EXE, or other downloadable means and have it install if USB or floppy doesn't work?

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2023, 10:14 pm »
Another experiment is to install Windows 10. I have a laptop that came with Windows Vista. No software or apps work with Vista anymore so I did a clean install using an old Win 7 retail disk and the key worked so I had a legal install. Of course no apps worked either but Win 7 was only the first step to a free Win 10 update.

I then went to the Microsoft Win 10 update page which did it's magic and now the laptop has a working Win 10 and everything works except the built-in microphone.

You can also download the Windows 10 iso from Microsoft, install and the old Win 7 key will register it tor free.

ArthurDent

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2023, 01:46 am »
I'll presume it's the home version since you don't note Pro, so my screens are a bit different from yours as is navigation I suspect. You were able to access the net via the Win7 Vbox install to get new browsers. You say USB still doesn't work. Are you able to see the USB drive(s) via Windows Explorer, under Network in Win7 or My Network in XP ? If you've set all the drives & folders to share then you should be able to copy files on those drives from the base machine into the virtual machine, at which point they should be accessible/executable. Otherwise you can only view them since they aren't directly connected to the VBox machine. If you can't see them setup a LAN (in Network Options/Control Panel), that should make them visible.

As to the XP not working to access the internet, check to verify it's allowed thru the firewall, if the trouble shooter doesn't give you any info on why it won't connect. The network setup should be pretty similar to what you did for the Win7 which is working.

For uninstall open the Control Panel (XP or Win7) in the VBox machine, select Programs & Features, let it populate the programs list, select what you want, right click & choose Uninstall. If you want to uninstall the VBox same procedure only on the base machine.
Sorry not savvy enough to know how to directly download an OS via ISO, EXE and load. I'll ask my computer expert next time we speak. I'd think if you download the file to the base machine, then use it when you set up the VBox machine it should work. I have two VBox machines my laptop, both XP but different base computers.

Tough to trouble shoot another system when you're not actually looking at the screen in question, even when both systems in discussion are the same OS. I'm tied to Win7 due to software I own related to my work. Likewise the use of VBox & XP. If you've got the RAM & harddrive space WGH's suggestion could be a viable alternative. In any case seems you are making some progress, if slowly, but that's the nature of computer setups. More questions, I'll try to help.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2023, 05:45 pm »
I deleted the virtul Windows XP. I was playing around adding a third virtual section, but I deleted it as well. I created a new second virtual section, but unable to load Chromium, ReactOS, Haiku, or Daphile. I don't know what I did to have a prompt pop up to load a non-disk operating system one time, but I am unable to duplicate it.

ArthurDent

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2023, 06:25 pm »
A lot of my time with VBox as well as other programs is simply trial & failure. On deadend stuff I'll get input from my friend the pro computer guy, but once setup the way I want I rarely mess with it. Like most things practise makes perfect. Computers are a nice, and in many cases necessary tool these days. But things change so quickly (by design) that it's tough to stay on top of the latest & greatest unless they are your business. Even then it's more than a full time job.

For info here's a list of guest OSes that VBox supports from Oracle.   https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes  Haiku is the only one you listed I see on their list, but I might have missed something. Have a good weekend.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2023, 08:24 am »
Loaded Daphile, but unable to network into it. Deleted.

Loaded ReactOS, slow at downloading programs, Still working at it.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2023, 05:47 am »
ReactOS is working, but is a bit slow. Internet works, but browser is slow. Whatever that virus program that you can include from them, is definately taking forever just to scan.

Overall, I consider it sucessful. I loaded an alternative operating system (which was a goal) and loaded an alternative operating system virtually (which was another goal).

ArthurDent

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2023, 08:54 pm »
Cool. Two goals is progress, which is always a good thing. Yeah, everybody wants to load the kitchen sink along with their program. Hope you're able to track down what's slowing things & eliminate.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2023, 09:20 pm »
Cool. Two goals is progress, which is always a good thing. Yeah, everybody wants to load the kitchen sink along with their program. Hope you're able to track down what's slowing things & eliminate.

Loading Windows 7 (and Windows XP) virtually is another goal. Three goals for the price of one.

It is probably the amount of virtual memory that I gave it 2048MB on 30GB storage. But, the virtual Windows 7 has that as well with less issues. Maybe ReactOS doesn't work the best virtually.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2023, 11:21 pm »
Anybody use Windows to create a virtual drive with the program that you use to reassign drive letters and such?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2023, 01:36 am »
i loaded Windows Virtual PC and loaded Daphile on a USB hard drive. Unable to have play internet radio nor load CDs, but I loaded some MP3s and they play though Windows.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2024, 09:44 pm »
Fresh Windows install. Fresh VirtualBox install. Unable to get virtual Window to run Windows DVD.

Did I forget a setting?