I finally did it...got a big screen HDTV...

jackman

« on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:05 pm »
This could be the first sign that the world is coming to an end.  Over the weekend, my 14 year old Sony 27" TV started making funny noises (I leave it on all the time) and I decided it was time to look at a new TV.  I visited the local Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter to check out their TV's and finally decided on a set from Barrett's a local store with really good sales support and great displays.  I was leaning towards a plasma or an LCD (rear projection, the newest ones on the market) but wound up with a 51" Sony KDP51WS550.  It was about half the price of the new LCD model and has a beautiful picture.  Since these types of TV's are going out of fashion, I was able to get a very good deal ($1798 for floor model in perfect condition with extended warrantee) and I don't have to pay anything for 18 months or so, with no interest charges.  

Since I know nothing about HDTV's, my decision was based 100% on the reputation of Sony, and the performance of the set (in the store).  I liked the smaller size of the LCD sets but the picture on this one looked noticeably better.  

Is anyone familiar with this set? Is Sony a good brand of HDTV's?  I know Mitsubishi is the big name in large screen sets but I didn't think the $3999 Mitz set looked any better than this one.  Is there something I'm not taking into consideration?

I take delivery today and will post my impressions.  Can't wait to play Xbox on my big TV!

Jack

KKM

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:11 pm »
Jack, do a search at avsforum.com for that model, those guys are as obsessive with video as we are with audio.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:27 pm »
YAY!!!
I bought that model's little brother, the 46" size.  It really looked better to me than anything else too... I was sure I'd buy an LCD when I first started looking.  But, there was no way I was going to spend twice to 3 to 5 times as much on a TV that didn't look as good... and most were smaller for twice the price.

Anyway, there's not much to it for setup.  I did everything in component cables.  DVD and Cable box both go to the receiver and the from the reciever to the TV.  If you have onscreen menus on your receiver, this would be the way to go.

I found 'wide zoom' to be the best looking zoom feature.  However, there's too many issues with the stupid aspect ratio for me to go into here... it's insane.  98% of everything you'll watch is not going to fit the screen.  If you get an HD receiver, and watch things in the proper format, it will look almost as good as a digital photo on your wall.  It is stellar.

Sony's are pretty good.  I've always trusted their video stuff but, it took a big nose-dive in the 90's.  I'm hoping the new stuff is better.

If only the other 300 channels would catch on. ;)

Anyway, congrats!  You'll love it.

-C

byteme

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:50 pm »
Good choice.  Even though CRT based RPTVs are "going out of favor", when properly calibrated they will still yeild the best picture.  LCD is the worst and has the most reliability issues, DLP is getting better and may at some point supplant CRT but it's not there yet.  Neither LCD or DLP can do true black and that's where the problems start.  Enjoy your set for a hundred or so hours and then pick up Avia or Digital Video Essentials, sit down for a couple hours and calibrate it correctly for your room.  The AVS forum will be indispensable for hints.

The one thing you'll FOR SURE want to do right away out of the box is make sure the brightness and contrast are both turned down to about 50 or 50% or halfway or whatever.  Contrast is typically cranked in the stores to make them seem brighter than the rest of the TVs, all this does it provide crap picture and burn out your CRTs too early!

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  Setup is included in the delivery charge.  They will set it up, calibrate it and program my remote.  The TV looked really nice in the store.  I couldn't tell the difference (on HD feed) from the Mitz set that was right next to it.  The Mitz had a nicer looking cabinet but the picture on both sets was beautiful and very similar.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Jack

BrunoB

Re: I finally did it...got a big screen HDTV...
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2004, 05:36 pm »
Quote from: jackman
This could be the first sign that the world is coming to an end.  Over the weekend, my 14 year old Sony 27" TV started making funny noises (I leave it on all the time) and I decided it was time to look at a new TV.  I visited the local Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter to check out their TV's and finally decided on a set from Barrett's a local store with really good sales support and great displays.  I was leaning towards a plasma or an LCD (rear projection, the newest ones on the market) but wound up wit ...

A year ago, I saw s friend's RPTV (old Toshiba model) that he wanted to sell. This TV gave me a headache in no time. The problem was color convergence. Since then, I lost interest in RPTV's. May be the newer models have changed for the better. Have you guys noticed any convergence problems?

I am leaning now towards a Sony 34'' widescreen tube TV which is supposed to have one of the best HD picture (http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/equip/sony_34XBR_910/index.shtml).

Bruno

StevenACNJ

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2004, 05:54 pm »
I have the same set in the 46" flavor.

Connected to my Motorola 6200 digital cable box with high quality component video cables, installed new power cord & Furutech gold male plug on TV (have to open up rear of tv), installed high grade power cord on Motorolla digital cable box, installed high quality RG6 incoming CATV cable line with a Jensen video transformer (to eliminate ground loop), and both pluged into my BPT 3.5 Signature power conditioner.

When properly calibrated and with an HD program the picture quality is stunning - very film like.

The set also has DVI input capability.

Enjoy

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2004, 08:15 pm »
Mits and Pioneer both make great sets, and Toshiba makes great ones as well, but if I ever intended to go back to having a big box in my living room instead of a PJ, I'd probably buy the Sony.  The picture is really nice on those Sony's, very close to the more expensive models by the other guys, IMO.  And I like their styling; despite being physically large they seem fairly svelte & streamlined (especially compared to the hulking Mits sets).

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2004, 09:32 pm »
Quote from: BrunoB
A year ago, I saw s friend's RPTV (old Hitachi model) that he wanted to sell. This TV gave me a headache in no time. The problem was color convergence. Since then, I lost interest in RPTV's. May be the newer models have changed for the better. Have you guys noticed any convergence problems?

I am leaning now towards a Sony 34'' widescreen tube TV which is supposed to have one of the best HD picture (http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/equip/sony_34XBR_910/index.shtml).

Bruno

Most rear projection televisions have to have the lenses and CRTs adjusted after delivery to you in home.   That's because the bumping and jostling between shipping and delivery often throws things off, or they were never set perfectly at the factory.  You also have to deal with convergence drift over time with CRTs.  Buying a tube television will resolve a lot of these issues, but tubes are prone to a minor touch of drift as well.... it's just that the screen is so darn small you don't notice it as much.....

You can very easily adjust convergence.  For anyone that's shown how to do it, it can take as little as a couple minutes.  Depending on how in spec the convergence board is, it will hold pretty steady and only need minor tweaking every now and again.

Being a big CRT projector fan, I can deal with a little bit of convergence touchup for the payoff of the spectacular image....

You couldn't pay me enough to go back to a 65inch screen size, let alone 34 inches.  It's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small and totally destroys the viewing experience.  It's so much more immersive on 95+ inches.  But I also see how in some people's rooms, front projection just isn't an option because of light control....  I just hate the big box stuck in the middle of the speakers...

Make sure you come over to the meeting Bruno....  I only have an Infocus 5700 on hand right now... but you'll at least get to see something on a big screen...  I sold the demo Optoma H30 I had here.  The guy who bought it also owns 2 other high end digital projectors.  He wrote me a 3 page email this morning telling me how great the unit is, how it's exceeds everyone else's hype about its performance, and how it is the steal of the century at it's price point...

BrunoB

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2004, 10:46 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
You couldn't pay me enough to go back to a 65inch screen size, let alone 34 inches. It's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small and totally destroys the viewing experience. It's so much more immersive on 95+ inches. But I also see how in some people's rooms, front projection just isn't an option because of light control.... I just hate the big box stuck in the middle of the speakers...

... ...

Big screen? I have to tell you that I don't like commercial movie theaters: big grayish dim lifeless picture. I prefer my 27'' Samsung HDTV : deep black , bright and colorful.  I like to watch it very close (5').

Having said that, I look forward to see your projector system in April.

Bruno

Rocket

HDTV
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2004, 11:03 pm »
Hi,

You guys are so lucky in the states as a high definition television typically will sell for about $5000au which is a lot of $$$$.

I could buy a Rear project television for about $2500au though.

Good luck jackman with the purchase.

regards

rod

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2004, 01:48 am »
Jackman, I have joined you in the RPTV world.

My wife gave me an early 50th birthday present today.

A Hitachi 57S500  :D  :D  :D

The picture is Gorgeous!!!

It has taken most of the day to settle down. I did some quick set-up with Video Essentials. The Hitachi has an Auto Convergence which was looking pretty good, but I went into the service menu and touched it up a little bit.

I will be getting HD Cable installed next week and I made an appointment for ISF calibration for early May.

Don't expect too many posts from me for awhile, I will be playing with my new toy :lol:

Jay S

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2004, 02:12 am »
Happy birthday to you!!   :D

Am hoping to get a HD plasma at some point this year... I now have a Sony 29" CRT TV taking up space between my speakers.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2004, 02:18 am »
Congrats Wayne.

Now you can move up to front pj.   :lol:

George

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2004, 03:14 pm »
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Jay. I still have another month to go before I qualify for membershio to the AARP :lol:

George, I did think very hard about a front projector. The room I use for HT just isn't big enough and it does have a fair amount of light present at all times. The listening/viewing position is 10' away from the screen. The 57" Hitachi worked out great.

Comcast Cable came by yesterday and hooked up their HD cable box. They just used an inexpensive set of component video cables from the box to the TV. The picture on the 11 HD channels I get is amazing. I watched the Red Wings and Nashville game last night on ESPN-HD and it was great. You could see the scratches on the players face shields.

The local news casts in HD were great, too. It showed me how bad most of the "normal" brodcasts are.

I have ordered in some DVI-D cables to try on the cable box and the DVD player. I bought Bubba's Pioneer DV-S755Ai and it has a DFP connector for digital video out. I have also modded it a bit with upgrades to the power supply caps and the s-video and component video coupling caps. I also added an IEC connector to use a better power cable. I built a set of component cables with Slipstream Bybees and WBT copper NextGen connectors. It will be interesting to compare the digital video output to the hot rodded component video.

All told, I really like my new toy, but I am spending far too much time playing with it  :oops:

bubba966

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2004, 03:25 pm »
Wayne,

Didja find a DFP to DVI-D adapter? Or have you replaced the DFP out with a DVI-D connector?

I was never able to find a DFP 14 to DVI-D cable or adapter myself...

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2004, 03:30 pm »
Wayne,
Happy belated birthday...you geezer!  Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new TV.  I have a DVI connection on the back of the TV but don't have one on the DVD player.  Is that something they are putting on new DVD players or is the DVD end of the cable standard RCA?  Is DVI an improvement over component video cables?  I am using some midfi Monster component cables and the picture is very good.  We watched the Masters on HDTV and it was amazing.  You could see the "Titelist" on the ball and bugs flying around the green!

Biggest disappointmen with HDTV was the pock marks on Cameron Diaz's face!  I'd still let her move in to my house and do housework in a thong but she is less perfect than I suspected!

See ya!

J

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2004, 04:27 pm »
Bubba,

OOPS  :oops:  I ordered a DFP 20 connector. I guess it will have to go back.

Jack,

My birthday is not until the end of May.

There are some DVD players that offer DVI output. The Samsung does. The Pioneer I have was purchased in Hong Kong and it has a slightly non-standard older style Digital video output connector.

I am not sure if the DVI output will be better than my fancy component cables. That is why I ordered some in. I will be sure to post the results.

PeteG

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2004, 04:57 pm »
Wayne,

Congratulations on the HDTV, you will find live sports events
look AWESOME :o

Were you able to catch the masters in HD, a side note there was announcement from NFL that over 1/2 the games will be in HD :D

avjester

« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2004, 05:12 pm »
Early happy birthday wishes Wayne!

I have a 4 year-old Hitachi RPTV (non-HDTV) that looks awesome after calibrations.  The power supply they use has a lot to do it I am sure.  So I can only hope your unit will be as (or more) pleasurable.